BANGKOK
AndrewMciver

How easy is it to spread Covid with face to face contact?

I've had far too many encounters this past week with people rite in my face, showing no respect at all for my boundaries during this pandemic. 

Whenever i step back, or ask politely to keep some distance, i get that cliched laughter with the complimentary 'stop being scared you stupid horse worshipper' (or something to similar). 

My question then is how easy is it to catch Covid from someone who comes rite up to you - less than a meter? I'm not asking about touching surfaces with infection on that you then rub into your eyes, or mouth - i'm just talking specifically face to face contact. 

My own research has been conflicated. From the scarily easy - droplets from an infected person can be inhaled, go into your eyes. To now i've read that it would take on average 15 minutes in close proximity face to face catch some droplets (on average) - longer if you were outdoors. This is based on local news coverage of school children being sent home, and only those immediately around them being told to go home. I myself was conflicted by this revelation - which may perhaps be house manure.

Any thoughts and feedback ?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

Any thoughts and feedback ?

Sure. There's a good chance you've contracted C19 previously and not even noticed or will do shortly but highly unlikely that anything untoward will happen to you either way.

I had it back in February and still here. I only wear the mask when out shopping in the UK to avoid all the nut jobs who can't help themselves in policing total enforcement of wearing a mask while shopping. It's easier to comply and avoid the aggravation.  

• Like 2

Yeah thanks for the comments that have little or nothing to do with the question asked.

Anyone else?

From my own experience ,meaning the people i know who were infected so far ( must be around 20 ) , they have got it from or family members or are themselves pretty "social" people . So i'd say try to keep your distance at all moments if possible . I'm not at all doing research on the matter , so this all might be <deleted> , but this is what i see around me. I do not keep distance to others at all time but i try to keep my distance bigger then i did before towards others . It isn't 1.5meters but i'd say , better stay at 1m then at 75cm . 

Just now, jastheace said:

face to face contact you say.

you mean french kissing. yeah that's fine, i searched and there's nothing wrong with that, just don't sit closer to 2 metres to anyone when doing it. hope that helps.

No. 

I'm talking about someone come up to you and talking to you less than a meter away.

1 minute ago, torturedsole said:

Lock yourself indoors for the next five years. It's the only way to achieve what you're looking for.  

You've made your point. You don't take this seriously. Now can you just leave so i can get some answers and feedback to the question. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sezze said:

From my own experience ,meaning the people i know who were infected so far ( must be around 20 ) , they have got it from or family members or are themselves pretty "social" people . So i'd say try to keep your distance at all moments if possible . I'm not at all doing research on the matter , so this all might be <deleted> , but this is what i see around me. I do not keep distance to others at all time but i try to keep my distance bigger then i did before towards others . It isn't 1.5meters but i'd say , better stay at 1m then at 75cm . 

You know 20 people who were infected? This is something that baffles me. I know a lot of people, real friends, FB friends, people across multiple countries, and I only know of one person who got Covid. That was the husband of an old friend I haven't seen for 10 years. 

I don't doubt your claim of 20 people, but I do find it interesting.  

5 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

No. 

I'm talking about someone come up to you and talking to you less than a meter away.

mask on . ok

no mask and they're a sprayer/talker, risky as <deleted>> i'd say

i know some peeps who unintentionally spray saliva when they talk and i wouldn't want to be their friends at the mo. in fact, i avoid any contact. masks would help, if ..... if worn. 1 metre? the ones i know are contenders for the olympic gold medal in 'say it and spray it ' event.

so fair question @AndrewMciver

3 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

You know 20 people who were infected? This is something that baffles me. I know a lot of people, real friends, FB friends, people across multiple countries, and I only know of one person who got Covid. That was the husband of an old friend I haven't seen for 10 years. 

I don't doubt your claim of 20 people, but I do find it interesting.  

4 family members ( far away family ) died of it , nr5 is closer family and didn't die of covid but because of it ( she was 97 and they kept her locked down , which she had enough of it , she she decided to give up on all of it ) . Another 1 is a friend of my parents who did spend a few days in ICU , and was released after having a few very annoying side effects after , i'm not sure how it is now with him . All the others are from my work , 2 in my team of 13 were confirmed , in other 3 teams i think around 3 are confirmed . From other spots at my very huge company , i've heard from a few who did have C-19 . I think my nr of 20 is about correct .... .

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Poet said:

It is completely safe to be in close proximity to lots of people not wearing masks as long as you wear a t-shirt with some sort of social justice slogan.

Just don't forget to put on a mask before you start looting.

The metal of the long gun seems to provide immunity too.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

You don't take this seriously.

Take what seriously? My wife and I have followed lockdown rules to the letter here in the UK since mid-March.  

Droplets could be spores for all we know of this so-called virus.  

Thais would say you think too much. 

6 minutes ago, sezze said:

4 family members ( far away family ) died of it , nr5 is closer family and didn't die of covid but because of it ( she was 97 and they kept her locked down , which she had enough of it , she she decided to give up on all of it ) . Another 1 is a friend of my parents who did spend a few days in ICU , and was released after having a few very annoying side effects after , i'm not sure how it is now with him . All the others are from my work , 2 in my team of 13 were confirmed , in other 3 teams i think around 3 are confirmed . From other spots at my very huge company , i've heard from a few who did have C-19 . I think my nr of 20 is about correct .... .

Wow, ok. Sorry to hear that 

• Like 1