Trump to shut off TikTok, WeChat to new U.S. users on Sunday

rooster59

39 minutes ago, bartender100 said:

Tried to sign up to Wechat once, wanted someone I know in China (I don't) to verify it. Is there an easier way?

1. Move to China.

2. More than one way to bypass, but not sure how legal (guess depending on country) all options are. Not hard to find on net, and probably more ways/sources shared in upcoming days as this 'ban' get rolling. Long time ago it was easy enough with VPN (or using two instances of to register).

3. Unless you have Chinese friends or China being a travel/business destination, there's no real point to it.

4. Trump's nonsense aside, I wouldn't voluntarily put this on a device I use for anything semi-serious.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mick501 said:

ManyPrivate messages of business people and politicians would have remained open to Chinese cyber theft.

All those business people and politicians have other options to send "private" massages (which are open to non Chinese cyber theft) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mick501 said:

President Trump proving yet again he's not afraid to take the tough decisions.  Why wouldn't he, given his impeccable track record in making the right call?  This decision simply would not have been made were  Joe at the helm.   ManyPrivate messages of business people and politicians would have remained open to Chinese cyber theft.

How was this a "tough decision"?

What impeccable record are you on? The one where Covid-19 response doesn't count?

The name is Joe Biden, could we dispense with imitating the President's childish name-calling habit?

Businessmen on TikTok? Yeah....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TikTok was the platform hosting Incitement; therefore the platform must go... 

and why shouldn't it have to answer for the drama!

- after all Google, Facebook etc get punsished for the wrongdoings of their subscribers

Edited by tifino

6 hours ago, shdmn said:

I bet part of the reason bunker boy is doing this is because TikTok users trolled his Tulsa rally.  He can be a petty child that way, and most other ways.

Yeah, he was so very pleased about how the rally went that he banned platform from which kids trolled him... So much pleasing...

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The Trump administration will ban WeChat and video-sharing app TikTok from U.S. app stores starting Sunday night, a move that will block Americans from downloading the Chinese-owned platforms over concerns they pose a national security threat.

Deflection deflection deflection 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, PremiumLane said:

Tin-foil hats on

On 8/1/2020 at 2:54 PM, fdsa said:

Tiktok IS an National Security risk as it runs a proxy server on users' phones, allowing chinese hackers to hack anything while hiding their identities behind these users, i.e. using american IP addresses in their attacks.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tiktok+reverse+engineered+proxy+server&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab

... all social networks spy on their users and steal private information from users' phones. But there is a difference between sending US citizens' data to Chinese Communist Party and to US National Security Agency.

If I was a US citizen I'd prefer NSA over CCP.

3 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

All those business people and politicians have other options to send "private" massages (which are open to non Chinese cyber theft) 

Unfortunately people do not understand that they are not safe. They see "Messages in this chat are end-to-end encrypted, no one even WhatsApp can read them" and they blindly believe this. I've had an exciting conversation once with a business man who was sure that Google can't read his secret emails because he had set up a mail redirection of all incoming emails from his gmail account to another email provider.

In our cruel world one has to be a hacker (in this word's original meaning) to be safe and secure. To sum up, the general public has no options to send private messages.

Edited by fdsa

10 minutes ago, fdsa said:

Unfortunately people do not understand that they are not safe. They see "Messages in this chat are end-to-end encrypted, no one even WhatsApp can read them" and they blindly believe this.

With hidden keyboard loggers they can read it already when you type it. 

4 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

There's many alternatives, as I suspect you're suggesting.  WeChat/TenCent is still in wide use.  You only have to look at Hilary to see how blind many are to the threat of cyber theft by state agencies.  It would be no surprise if the Democrats were still using this platform to send potentially sensitive information.

4 hours ago, Morch said:

How was this a "tough decision"?

What impeccable record are you on? The one where Covid-19 response doesn't count?

The name is Joe Biden, could we dispense with imitating the President's childish name-calling habit?

Businessmen on TikTok? Yeah....

If you chose to get your worldly knowledge from 20 second CNN sound bites, that's a matter for yourself.  You can look up Trumps magnificent achievements ( despite endless false accusations), but you are not interested in fact.

The comment re business people etc was more aimed at WeChat.  Only got to look at Hilary to see how blind many are to the threat of state based cyber theft, and WeChat remains in wide use.  Easy to imagine Biden accidentally sending any amount of information, and with his China First policies, there's no way he would have taken this step.

37 minutes ago, Mick501 said:

There's many alternatives, as I suspect you're suggesting.  WeChat/TenCent is still in wide use.  You only have to look at Hilary to see how blind many are to the threat of cyber theft by state agencies.  It would be no surprise if the Democrats were still using this platform to send potentially sensitive information.

Strange reference to Hillary when since then many instances of WH workers circumventing WH servers have come out, amongst them Ivanka.

So what they learned from Hillary is not how to increase safety, but how to flaunt rules. Rules Hillary but in the spotlight.