Question is rental contract needed?

Okay so I am going to be moving into my Thai wife's mom's extra house for awhile maybe 1 year.

Will I need them to make me a rental contract since I am not really paying them rent to stay there?

In the past I have always rented from landlords and had a rental contract since it was not a family members house. 

Is a rental contract necessary to show immigration or can I just have my wifes mom go with me to immigration with all her house papers to show she owns the house?

Thanks

Not needed according to my knowledge. They could just write you a paper that states they let you live there until further notice. Immigration is not interested in that you pay rent, they only want to know you have a rather permanent address you stay on. Other requirements as housebook, id and other documents from owner and you will be as usual.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Moonlover said:

We rented, for a peppercorn rent from my wife's sister-in-law for 2 years (we've since bought the house) and yes, we did draw up a contract to satisfy immigration. There are standard contract forms available from stationary stores.

Like Moonlover say. Best to have a contract signed to satisfy immigration. Less hassle. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, flyingsaucersarereal said:

Is a rental contract necessary to show immigration or can I just have my wifes mom go with me to immigration with all her house papers to show she owns the house?

A rental contract is not necessary 'to satisfy IO requirements'.

IO just wants to have evidence of the place where you are staying as that is your 'official residence' for Immigration purposes.

In your case the easiest would be that you register the house of your wife's mom on the IO TM-30 website.  You can do that on her behalf, and you would only need a signed copy of the front/back of the owner's Thai ID card (i.e. your wife's mum) and a copy of the house-book.

Once the house is registered on the IO TM-30 sit (which often only takes a few minutes before you receive the username:password as confirmation that the place has been registered), you will then be able to notify IO that a foreigner - yourself and any foreign guests you are inviting to stay at the house - is staying at the premises.  That is required by Thai law and if your mum's wife does not notify your local IO of this, she can be fined but obviously it is easiest that you do this on her behalf. 

So the registering of her house on the website serves a triple purpose:

- Your mum's wife will be in compliance with Thai law

- You will have an official residence for Immigration purposes

- You will be able to notify IO of any foreign guests staying at the house (so that your mum's wife is in full compliance with Thai law).

>> I did PM you a comprehensive guideline document on how to register the place where your are staying on the IO TM-30 website and subsequently file the required TM30 of yourself (and any other foreign guest) staying at the premises.

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 2