U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ginsburg dies at age 87 from pancreatic cancer

rooster59

The American system of political parties choosing judges stinks. The judges are appointed for life so the Court can swing to the left or right dependant on who dies when a particular party has control of the Senate and is President. 

It's tasteless to begin appointing another judge when Ginsburg hasn't even had her funeral. In the UK judges are appointed by fellow judges. The Law Courts are separate from Parliament. 

Edited by JusticeGB
Separation of powers
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Poet said:

You think they will have debates? I would be impressed if they are willing to risk that. 

Biden outsmarts trump on all levels, so I have no doubt about the outcome of any debate. But why would the democrats do that, trump is burying himself. The further they stay away from him the better.

Edited by stevenl
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

Fill that seat Mr. President!

Getting the popcorn ready.

Sadly I assume he will be able to seat a new judge in his waning lame duck l'orange moments. 

But ironically he could probably help his chances of reelection by delaying this and diverting the main election issue to the scotus pick rather than his failed pandemic response.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Are you serious? Scalia was active and alert and seemingly in good condition until almost the moment he died. He had just been quail hunting the afternoon before he died. Someone with pancreatic cancer is in and out of it towards the end, in pain, under heavy medication. There is no comparison whatsoever. To do so, is simply kooky. 

And what evidence do you have that Justice Ginsburg was mentally impaired?

I spoke with my grandmother two days before she died of cancer; she was in full control of her mental faculties, though understandably depressed.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, JusticeGB said:

The American system of political parties choosing judges stinks. The judges are appointed for life so the Court can swing to the left or right dependant on who dies when a particular party has control of the Senate and is President. 

It's tasteless to begin appointing another judge when Ginsburg hasn't even had her funeral. In the UK judges are appointed by fellow judges. The Law Courts are separate from Parliament. 

I saw some where that when they made the lifetime appointment rule people didn't tend live so long. Maybe in 2020 they could limit it to 20 years. Still long enough to be independent but not so long that it's a bit ridiculous.

7 minutes ago, heybruce said:

And what evidence do you have that Justice Ginsburg was mentally impaired?

I spoke with my grandmother two days before she died of cancer; she was in full control of her mental faculties, though understandably depressed.

The tendency of Ginsburg enthusiasts to disregard her health has been the subject of criticism from both the right and left. The right believes there were legitimate questions regarding her ability to perform her duties. Many on the left were livid when she refused to retire during Obama's last term, because they realized she likely would not live out the term of office of Obama's successor, which they feared would be a Republican.

The tendency of some people, not you, heybruce, to label these questions as "conspiracy theories and "cancel" them from the conversation, shows just how frightening the political conversation in the US has become. And how limiting. Here's two articles for anyone interested. 

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/01/16/ruth-bader-ginsburg-supreme-court-health-224014

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/11/what-cult-ruth-bader-ginsburg-rbg-got-wrong-obama-trump/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Poet said:

No, they call themselves Antifa. They are not "sometimes violent", their raison d'être is violence and intimidation. Such groups have been a key tactic for all extremist groups to attain power, whether on the left or right. Yes, all such criminal networks operate in cells

It is a self-damaging blindness on the part of Democrats to ascribe everything you are uncomfortable with to Fox News.

Again, I am saying that this election is yours to lose. A president has never been re-elected in a situation this dire. If Trump does get re-elected, it will be 100% down to the Democrat failure to react appropriately and bravely in realtime to the overreactions of those with whom you are associated.

I think you'll agree that their motives of combating fascists and racists such as neo-Nazis, white supremacists and other far-right extremists, has some merit, though I 100 per cent agree the use of violence should not be tolerated. They are not democrats.

If you don't think Fox News saw Antifa as a go to scare tactic on the law and order issue then we can agree to disagree. The violent protests is a fair issue of concern but Fox News coverage, and blaming of democrats, is over the top. 

I will say gun violence in say Chicago is a different issue and it shocks me it is allowed to continue. I put it down to kids being allowed access to guns and breakdown of families. If anywhere there should be a crackdown its there. Probably getting off topic.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

It will be a character test for Trump, whether or not he will tweet about his nomination already this weekend or whether he will want for Mrs. Justice Ginsburg's funeral to end...

Wait... has he tweeted already while I wrote these lines?

Trump and his ghouls would replace her before her funeral if they could.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

And I will counter that its an illogical position because people will sit home instead of voting in states that are hardcore blue or red and their vote is contrary. Only if the vote was counted as the popular vote tally would you have an accurate idea. 

Barfing up the 'popular vote' does not matter. 

And I will counter that those who care enough to vote are the best measure of what most people think; about Trump and other matters.  If you have a better measure please share it.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

If you don't think Fox News saw Antifa as a go to scare tactic on the law and order issue then we can agree to disagree.

That isn't what you said. You suggested that Fox News was labeling small, unaffiliated violent groups who were not Antifa as Antifa. That happens to be incorrect.

I have no doubt that Fox News and any of the deeply partisan TV news organisations on the other side will make the maximum use of whatever cards they are dealt. You can hardly fault them for that in the current hyper-reality.

6 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I will say gun violence in say Chicago is a different issue and it shocks me it is allowed to continue. I put it down to kids being allowed access to guns and breakdown of families. If anywhere there should be a crackdown its there.

It might be painful to face this reality head on, but any solution will require more cops, not fewer. The actual Democrat establishment knows this, which makes their use and endorsement of BLM deeply hypocritical. This has become a "By Any Means Necessary" election for the Democrats and, even if they win, the legacy of that will be more damaging to America than anything Trump has done.

In any case, while I respect your exposition of your views, we are clearly experiencing different realities. It would be foolhardy of me to try to argue fact-by-fact, so, I shall wish you a good day and head out in search of a strong coffee and a delicious banana pancake ????????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Morch said:

Can do both. Keep the SC replacement issue alive as long as possible, thus covering some for the Covid-19 response issue, push for appointment just before elections to score with the home crowd (and undecided conservatives).

Good point.

We're in worse case scenarios zone.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Poet said:

That isn't what you said. You suggested that Fox News was labeling small, unaffiliated violent groups who were not Antifa as Antifa. That happens to be incorrect.

I have no doubt that Fox News and any of the deeply partisan TV news organisations on the other side will make the maximum use of whatever cards they are dealt. You can hardly fault them for that in the current hyper-reality.

It might be painful to face this reality head on, but any solution will require more cops, not fewer. The actual Democrat establishment knows this, which makes their use and endorsement of BLM deeply hypocritical. This has become a "By Any Means Necessary" election for the Democrats and, even if they win, the legacy of that will be more damaging to America than anything Trump has done.

In any case, while I respect your exposition of your views, we are clearly experiencing different realities. It would be foolhardy of me to try to argue fact-by-fact, so, I shall wish you a good day and head out in search of a strong coffee and a delicious banana pancake ????????

Fair nuff. Enjoy your pancake.

• Thanks 1