U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ginsburg dies at age 87 from pancreatic cancer

rooster59

1 minute ago, bluehippie said:

I expect by Monday morning Mitch McConnell will have a name in his hand and start the proceedings. Old Ruthie refused to retire to deny Trump a replacement. Now it's time to do the right thing. Replace her immediately!
This should have happened over a year ago.
Trump Senate House 2020

I have a feeling Trump knew her death was imminent. I got a campaign email about three days ago talking up his short list of Supreme Court candidates.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MajarTheLion said:

I have a feeling Trump knew her death was imminent. I got a campaign email about three days ago talking up his short list of Supreme Court candidates.

Let's see if the teleprompter tells Joe who to pick soon. I agree that Trump got word, how could he not? I suspect Biden couldn't produce a list because he actually doesn't have one. 

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, riclag said:

Need that spot filled before the election, 8 justices possible deadlocked can't break a tie! In the event of a contested election the SC would ultimately decide the next POTUS

At that point Pelosi would be president until the house votes. Simple majority one state one vote. That's a trump win. If the SC can't solve the issue.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Let's see if the teleprompter tells Joe who to pick soon. I agree that Trump got word, how could he not? I suspect Biden couldn't produce a list because he actually doesn't have one. 

Thought it was Presidents who got to nominate SC judges. Biden isn't President, yet.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, riclag said:

Need that spot filled before the election, 8 justices possible deadlocked can't break a tie! In the event of a contested election the SC would ultimately decide the next POTUS

I could be mistaken, but in case of a tied verdict, isn't the previous court verdict (as in the step before SC) upheld?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

Just try submitting somneone without a dodgy/criminal sexual past. It;s not that hard and only seems difficult to do for the GOP.

Who are you referring to?

Sounds like u just described Biden and most democrats. Oh, wait Bill and his cigar insertion "I never had sex with that woman" Clinton! Johnny, you don't need to worry Trump's SCOTUS picks, it don't concern you.

Edited by bluehippie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, riclag said:

contested

I'm sure you meant something by that. My post, however, related to the claim it's urgent to have a full SC quorum as to avoid a possible tie. As far as I understand, in case of a tie, the previous (lower) court verdict is upheld, so apparently not a situation unforeseen or unaddressed.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, MajarTheLion said:

I can certainly agree politicians are bold-faced liars and hypocrites. The thing is, in the spirit of being honest, it's human nature to not mind the lying and hypocrisy so much when it works out in our own favor.  ????

It's not human nature. It's your nature.

Some of us hold our elected leaders to higher standards than you obvioulsy do and DON'T accept the 'lying and hypocrisy' 

You're aptly demonstarting your average Trump fans philosophy in a nutshell; Scr$w morals, integrity and doing the right thing as long as I'm getting something out of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, MajarTheLion said:

How is speculating on Ruth's fitness a "conspiracy theory"? But let's set that aside. The last time I saw her on television, should could barely hold her head up. It's perfectly reasonable to think the mental faculties of such a person are significantly compromised.

So it's perfectly reasonable to question the mental faculties of a President who has trouble drinking water and walking down stairs and ramps.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

There should be a condition that the justices need to be in good health. If they fail the physical they are done regardless of who is President. That way you don't get a corpse on the court hiding from the public for extended periods waiting for the election with the candidate of their choice.

Shouldn't we apply the same rule to Presidents?  And require that the results of a qualified, unbiased, comprehensive physical exam be made public?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Well with the tihs show that is going to be mail in voting we may not know who won for months. Isn't that going to be convenient? This is going to get real ugly. I can say many people in the USA who do not live on the interwebz are getting awfully sick of the BLM, Antifa, lockdowns, etc. 

If that demographic loses it's cool it's going to make the "protests" look like a summer of love. 

If Trump succeeds in hobbling the US Postal Service the final count could take days, not months.  However I'm sure his primary plan for delaying or overturning the actual election results involve specious court challenges and a stacked Supreme Court.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

Top marks for stating the obvious. Problem being it was the GOP who had the majority and they were VERY clear about why they would not allow an appointment 11 months before Obama's departure. To now say everything is fine with less than 2 months to go is the whole point of this thread.

The battle was started by the GOP (again) and was one of the final shots in a battle of obstruction that had started way back at the beginning of Obama's precidency. This further example of Republican intransigence and making up the rules as you go along is why American politics now feel like a war of attrition rather than a healthy democratic process. 

It was tolerated then (as was many GOP antics) on the proviso the GOP would at least be somewhat consistent in similar situations but as this clearly shows, there are no morals with the GOP and there's certainly no rules. The only rules they like are the ones they can bend or the ones they make up themselves. And even then they can simply ignore their own rules with no thought to anything other than their own selfish cause.

There is no trust to be had with the GOP and as soon as the Dems start fighting fire with fire the better. 

It isn't about what's fair. It is about what is possible. Under Obama it was impossible for him to get it done. Now it is possible for Trump. You know, because, like, I am simply stating, the obvious,

• Thanks 1