Malaysia Deports 48 Thais

rooster59

Malaysia Deports 48 Thais

mal.JPG

SONGKHLA, September 18 (TNA) – Forty eight Thai nationals have been deported after serving prison sentences in Malaysia.

The Malaysian authorities handed over the 48 Thai citizens to their Thai counterparts at the border crossing in Songkhla’s Sadao district Friday morning.

The 38 males and 10 females were arrested for working illegally in Malaysia and have already finished their prison sentences.

Full story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-541814

tnalogo.jpg

-- © Copyright TNA 2020-09-19

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Hi Tea said:

"Since when was working a crime" [sic]

It has been a crime ever since working illegally was criminalised in every country, regardless of the countries' associations.

I didnt think it was a criminal offence, more an immigration offence.

I think in malaysia they get fined, if they cannot pay they stay in immigration detention and that deducts about rm200 (?) per day from the fine until its cleared then deported.

Bit never heard it being done as a criminal offence as they dont go to normal jail, just immigration detention.

7 minutes ago, Alex80 said:
16 minutes ago, Hi Tea said:

It has been a crime ever since working illegally was criminalised in every country, regardless of the countries' associations.

Yes, but few countries punish the crime with a prison sentence. Civil countries punish employers who get benefit from illegal low cost workers, not the modern slaves who only tries to make a living

My point was that what they were doing is illegal, that's all; the poster I responded to was suggesting that what they were doing was just working, i.e. that it was legal.   I was not commenting on the penalties imposed by Malaysia.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Hope they checked them for Covid first before the Thais are placed into quarantine here.  This way even if they were negative the Thai Government can tell Malaysia they gave them Covid patients.  War of words is occurring.  

I don't think the Malaysians would care...with all the Thais groups returning, there's always a few cases.

1 hour ago, Hi Tea said:

From my experience Britain during the early 70s was really very very kind to illegal immigrants or students with expired student visa.

They really observed all the protocols and international laws regarding immigrants.(legal or illegal that is).

I was working illegally in London after my student's visa expired. One (good)Institution after collecting my tuition fees reported me to the immigration, that I was not attending classes and working. I was notified to go to see the immigration office. I went to see them.

A nice looking lady immigration officer at the counter check my passport and said in a nonchalant manner that my student visa had expired and I should leave as soon as possible. Failure to do so I would be arrested and put in prison. That's all she said. Because I was not arrested at the work place so she couldn't comment on that.

No harsh word was spoken, she didn't display any uncalled for show of power or authority. I was really surprised that her manner was so what you called "amicable". That really impressed me.

Of course I went home but not immediately because  knowing that the British would be kind and sensible if they arrested me for overstaying. I took my sweet time.

30 odd years now, I still have the good memory ., oh, yes at the airport the immigration officer said, "you have overstayed your visa"- I replied, "The lady at the immigration office told me to just leave, so here I am , all packed ready to leave", he looked at me for a second, then he stamped the exit on the passport and I got on the plane home.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, poloshirt said:

From my experience Britain during the early 70s was really very very kind to illegal immigrants or students with expired student visa.

They really observed all the protocols and international laws regarding immigrants.(legal or illegal that is).

Great comparison, UK 50 years ago with Malaysia's laws 50 years later!  Perhaps Malaysia also observed all the protocols and laws regarding illegal workers this week?

4 hours ago, Hi Tea said:
10 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Hope they checked them for Covid first before the Thais are placed into quarantine here.

The full article that is linked will help your hopes.

After a stint in any SEA prison, I'd be just as worried about TB.  Maybe even more worried.

25 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

We have one vote for a full scale war,  do we?

I think we should carry out one of those online surveys. To go to war or not? That is the question. Should the majority of TV members vote to go to war, then we can - keeping in line with the Thai way of doing things - first create a committee, who in turn will report directly to the general, eh, sorry Prime Minister. This is the perfect time to use those submarines! The Malaysian's won't know what hit them! 

Edited by djayz

4 hours ago, Hi Tea said:

What got you so bent out of shape about a few people working - legally or illegally? Did one if 'em take your job? 

As others have pointed out, imprisonment / detention is a bit harsh for just working. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nout said:

Seems awful. Imprisonment for working. Since when was working a crime. I thought Thailand and Malaysia were part of ASEAN.

It could be a simple matter of bad English since these deportees were held in confinement for 14-days for covid-19 screening.

21 hours ago, Alex80 said:

Yes, but few coutries punish the crime with a prison sentence. Civil countries punish employers who get benefit from illegal low cost workers, not the modern slaves who only tries to make a living

Yes, it's a shame - however Thai don't seem to care enough and more than happy for you to be thrown in the IDC.

What goes around comes around; if they want benefits for their citizens they should start at home by building mutual respect and reciprocity.