Bank website or branch produced statements

Hua Hin Immigration require a bank book, credit advices, statements and a letter from the bank confirming the same transfer of at least 65,000 Baht every month from overseas for an extention based on retirement, maybe every office requires multiple proofs of the same transaction.

My local Bangkok Bank cannot produce an annual statement, it has to be obtained from Bangkok, does anybody know if Immigration will accept a statement printed from the banks website, which replicates the information in the bank book and the credit advices, or do I need to order a statement?

Thanks 

An annual statement which will come with letterhead, your name/address/full acct number on it along with a human bank signature and stamp.   And yeap, your local branch must request an annual statement which is produced by its HQ in Bangkok....typically takes 3 to 7 days. 

But the basic bank letter which is nothing more than a few sentences stating your name, acct number, current balance along with bank signature and stamp on letter can be produced at your local branch.

And there is another bank letter that Bangkok Bank can provide (or use to provide) which was a letter listing only your "international" transfers.  But on that particular letter they will only list those transfers which received their "FTT" coding which means Foreign Telex Transfer...that is, an international transfer. 

If they method you have been using to do your transfers has not been getting this FTT coding on your Bangkok Bank passbook then Bangkok Bank will not list those transfers on the bank letter.....they will just tell you that you will need to go to the bank that relayed the funds to them via domestic transfer to get the credit advice to proof it was an international transfer.  Some people using Transferwise for their transfers have had this problem when final leg of the Transferwise transfer didn't receive the FTT coding due to Transferwise Thai partner bank setup and the sender didn't choose Long Stay visa for Thailand reason for transfer when sending the transfer.  

Ibanking type statements (or should I say queries) don't include all of the formal stuff mentioned above and does not include bank signature/stamp.   Could be easily faked.  Additionally, you can only go back 6 months with online statement (queries) with Bangkok Bank, Krungsri Bank and KrungThai Bank (probably durn near all Thai banks).  I mention those three banks because I have personal ibanking experience with those banks.  

If your IO is one of those offices that require more proof than a frequently updated passbook, then you pretty much have no other choice than to get an annual statement.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2020 at 9:53 AM, Pib said:

An annual statement which will come with letterhead, your name/address/full acct number on it along with a human bank signature and stamp.   And yeap, your local branch must request an annual statement which is produced by its HQ in Bangkok....typically takes 3 to 7 days. 

But the basic bank letter which is nothing more than a few sentences stating your name, acct number, current balance along with bank signature and stamp on letter can be produced at your local branch.

And there is another bank letter that Bangkok Bank can provide (or use to provide) which was a letter listing only your "international" transfers.  But on that particular letter they will only list those transfers which received their "FTT" coding which means Foreign Telex Transfer...that is, an international transfer. 

If they method you have been using to do your transfers has not been getting this FTT coding on your Bangkok Bank passbook then Bangkok Bank will not list those transfers on the bank letter.....they will just tell you that you will need to go to the bank that relayed the funds to them via domestic transfer to get the credit advice to proof it was an international transfer.  Some people using Transferwise for their transfers have had this problem when final leg of the Transferwise transfer didn't receive the FTT coding due to Transferwise Thai partner bank setup and the sender didn't choose Long Stay visa for Thailand reason for transfer when sending the transfer.  

Ibanking type statements (or should I say queries) don't include all of the formal stuff mentioned above and does not include bank signature/stamp.   Could be easily faked.  Additionally, you can only go back 6 months with online statement (queries) with Bangkok Bank, Krungsri Bank and KrungThai Bank (probably durn near all Thai banks).  I mention those three banks because I have personal ibanking experience with those banks.  

If your IO is one of those offices that require more proof than a frequently updated passbook, then you pretty much have no other choice than to get an annual statement.

Not sure about Bangkok Bank branches in Hua Hin, but here in Pattaya, the branches will prepare the letter listing foreign transfers into the account from your bank passbook. As mentioned, they will need to show the FTT code.  Further, if you have not updated your passbook on a regular basis and it has "combined" entries, that is net deposits & withdrawals for a period of time, the passbook will not show such entries for that period. Thus, the branch will not be able to list them.

A little over a year ago when doing my first renewal without a USA Embassy income letter, I obtained certified bank statements for the preceding 12 months -- yes, had to wait one week for the branch to obtain from Bangkok HQ.  BUT, Pattaya Immigration would not accept the statements told me to get the bank letter listing the foreign deposits. 

This year, I obtained the letter listing the deposits (the branch person started to list my FTT transfers from my passbook, but quickly realized I had some "combined" entries, thus said they would need to get from Bangkok HQ which I already knew). 

I'm not sure about Hua Hin, but Pattaya also requires when using the monthly income method that you also have the usual bank letter verifying the account and the amount on deposit (same one as required for those using the 800k on deposit).

Edited by soisanuk
  • Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 8:58 AM, thonglorjimmy said:

does anybody know if Immigration will accept a statement printed from the banks website

I tried this with KBank at CW IO thinking I might save 200THB as the KBank statements for the year in PDF looked good! LOL. Not acceptable as the teller has to code and sign each sheet unlike what comes off the banking app and needed a second staff member to code in her master pwd to achieve this! Cost 200THB for a years statement, they did it at time of visit, no wait needed.

• Like 1

I have used the 65000 baht per month with Bangkok Bank as my bank,  Last year, my acct had been done originally in Rangsit (Bangkok) but I had no problem whatsoever getting a branch in Tonpao, Sankamphaeng to provide such letter.  Then, since it was a joint acct and not wanting to have a problem in the future I opened a solo acct in Chiang Mai and they provide a yearly acct with 1 days notice, credit advise monthly transfer from overseas to Thailand plus the 12 monthly deposits as per my bank book - also gave a copy of the 12 transfers in my bank book.  I also had the advisory monthly bank email from the states sending the money to Bangkok Bank so buried the IO in paperwork.  He even smiled and said "oh lots of banking" but then, only spent 15 more minutes in immigration to get my picture taken and receive the stamped passport so good for another year.  Sometimes the branch offices will provide such a letter if you say you will pay for it instead of waiting for the copy from the main office, and it usually doesn't amount to much.  I think last year it cost me 100 baht for the branch to do it although my account was in Rangsit.  Either way, good luck, always best to provide too much paperwork for the IO instead of too little.

• Like 2

Can't speak to requirements at Hua Hin but at CW (ext-stay/ret-inc; ~ 10 days ago) a statement was NOT required. (I did have two six-month statements in hand but they were not presented nor asked for). I use Bangkok Bank for my transfers.

I supplied:

Account ownership letter dated ~ two days prior from my branch

QFT Summary letter dated two days prior from my branch: line item for each of 12 Qualifying Foreign Transfers

Twelve CARs (Credit Advice Receipts), obtained monthly after each transfer

Original bank-books plus copies incl same day B/F

No other documentation was required or requested. No "proof of source of funds" asked for (but did have in hand).

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Can't speak to requirements at Hua Hin but at CW (ext-stay/ret-inc; ~ 10 days ago) a statement was NOT required. (I did have two six-month statements in hand but they were not presented nor asked for). I use Bangkok Bank for my transfers.

I supplied:

Account ownership letter dated ~ two days prior from my branch

QFT Summary letter dated two days prior from my branch: line item for each of 12 Qualifying Foreign Transfers

Twelve CARs (Credit Advice Receipts), obtained monthly after each transfer

Original bank-books plus copies incl same day B/F

No other documentation was required or requested. No "proof of source of funds" asked for (but did have in hand).

Although there is no such thing as Thai Logic, it is actually quite logical that your IO did not ask for the 12-month bank statement (or your back-to-back two six-month statements).

When using the monthly foreign income transfer method, you only need to provide evidence that you did receive the required amount in the form of 12 monthly income transfers on your personal thai bank-account. 

The evidence you provided clearly showed that.

You only need the 12-month bank-statement when using the funds-in-bank method, where you have to prove that the funds your kept there did not dip below the minimum amount.  In case you did not update your bankbook regularly, some banks do consolidate the transfers over that period, and that bank paper-saving exercise does not allow IO to check whether during such consolidated period that you didn't dip below the minimum treshold.  Hence their request for a 12-month bank statement which will show ALL transfers made during the previous period. 

So there is no reason for IO to ask such 12-month bank-statement when using the monthly income transfer method.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

I tried this with KBank at CW IO thinking I might save 200THB as the KBank statements for the year in PDF looked good! LOL. Not acceptable as the teller has to code and sign each sheet unlike what comes off the banking app and needed a second staff member to code in her master pwd to achieve this! Cost 200THB for a years statement, they did it at time of visit, no wait needed.

I was the same at TMB, got it over the counter there and then. I was 100 baht for the 12 month statement and then 200 baht for the letter and recent statement as I got my 12 month some time before I went to immigration.

22 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Although there is no such thing as Thai Logic, it is actually quite logical that your IO did not ask for the 12-month bank statement (or your back-to-back two six-month statements).

When using the monthly foreign income transfer method, you only need to provide evidence that you did receive the required amount in the form of 12 monthly income transfers on your personal thai bank-account. 

The evidence you provided clearly showed that.

You only need the 12-month bank-statement when using the funds-in-bank method, where you have to prove that the funds your kept there did not dip below the minimum amount.  In case you did not update your bankbook regularly, some banks do consolidate the transfers over that period, and that bank paper-saving exercise does not allow IO to check whether during such consolidated period that you didn't dip below the minimum treshold.  Hence their request for a 12-month bank statement which will show ALL transfers made during the previous period. 

So there is no reason for IO to ask such 12-month bank-statement when using the monthly income transfer method.

"You only need the 12-month bank-statement when using the funds-in-bank method,"

"So there is no reason for IO to ask such 12-month bank-statement when using the monthly income transfer method."

Absolute garbage

The poster stated he supplied

"QFT Summary letter dated two days prior from my branch: line item for each of 12 Qualifying Foreign Transfers"

A 12 month statement in all but name.

The income method requires a bank authenticated 12 month statement in one form or another where the office has determined it to be the only acceptable form of proof.

The regulation does not specify, only suggests, how proof be presented so up to individuals to check what would apply to them.

26 minutes ago, sandyf said:

"You only need the 12-month bank-statement when using the funds-in-bank method,"

"So there is no reason for IO to ask such 12-month bank-statement when using the monthly income transfer method."

Absolute garbage

The poster stated he supplied

"QFT Summary letter dated two days prior from my branch: line item for each of 12 Qualifying Foreign Transfers"

A 12 month statement in all but name.

The income method requires a bank authenticated 12 month statement in one form or another where the office has determined it to be the only acceptable form of proof.

The regulation does not specify, only suggests, how proof be presented so up to individuals to check what would apply to them.

Thanks for enlightening me with your wisdom and positive contributions.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 9:18 AM, Moonlover said:

You can only obtain downloaded statements for the past 6 months, so you have no choice but to wait for the HQ copies.

I used downloaded copies for my last 2 extensions (drawn down at 6 monthly intervals) and they were accepted by immigration along with a standard bank letter and my passbook.

It would be pretty difficult to fake the bank statements @tonray. If the IO was, in any way suspicious about them, all he need do it to compare entries with the passbook. 

Most immigration offices won't accept downloaded and printed statements. Especially if you have a bank book which isn't updated on a regular basis. 

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

Most immigration offices won't accept downloaded and printed statements. Especially if you have a bank book which isn't updated on a regular basis. 

Well as we all know, not all IOs are equal and I do have to acknowledge that the IOs at Sakon Nakhon are a very amiable team. But let us not forget that in the case of marriage extensions, all paperwork goes up for scrutiny at the regional HQs, and mine have not been rejected. so I do question whether most IOs will not accept downloaded statements. How many people have actually tried?

What we are all up against with this new method of course is that there is no 'how to' guide, neither for us, or for them as to how to present the income evidence.

It's not too long ago that we were being bombarded with the myth that if you didn't have NFF codes in your passbook, you didn't have a hope. That proved to be a complete fallacy and I was one of the first to prove it.

We just have go along with the game.

14 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Quite. I tried printed statements once and immigration just handed them back and said they have to be stamped and signed by the bank.