Still Hungry: Thousands in Phuket remain in need of food donations as government efforts stall

rooster59

Still Hungry: Thousands in Phuket remain in need of food donations as government efforts stall

1600445750_1-org.jpg

People queue for food at the ‘Duen Sip’ Buddhist festival held in Baan Don, Thalang, last week. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: While the government maintains its focus on efforts to restart any form of tourism to Phuket, thousands of people across the island remain in need of food donations to get by – with no support from any government agencies.

It has been months since local government organisations have handed out food to people in need.

A public relations staffer at Patong Municipality, one of the hardest-hit areas on the island due to the international tourism lockout, told The Phuket News this week, “The municipality budget to provide food is already gone. The last food handout was on June 20, which provided food to about 10,000 people in need.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/still-hungry-thousands-in-phuket-remain-in-need-of-food-donations-as-government-efforts-stall-77364.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-09-19

• Sad 5

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

“The municipality budget to provide food is already gone. The last food handout was on June 20, which provided food to about 10,000 people in need.

But Prayut says he cares for the people of Thailand like his own children...

I don't see them starving sitting on the streets for a handout.

• Like 1

To contribute to the relief efforts, simply scan and pay for Lean On Me food packs at any Villa Market in Phuket, or order the packs online via Villa Market’s online shopping portal.

Can't find these on the online shopping portal.

There seems to be a facebook group collecting donations and buying food for desperate: https://m.facebook.com/HELPPHUKETTODAY/

Has anyone else noticed how many fat people line up for free food.

I've seen this in my own country too. Whenever you see a photo of people desperate for food, they are always fat, or obese. 

Don't see too many thin people lining up for food.

Cold something else be going on?

• Like 2

There was a lot of food kitchens set up in Phuket obviously relying on donations but when the donations dry up then no food from what I could see mostly sponsored by local restaurants, That is all finished many FB pages and groups where setup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1