Still Hungry: Thousands in Phuket remain in need of food donations as government efforts stall

rooster59

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

The big talks of the last couple of weeks whereby the government will hand out billions in aid and assistance to the poor was just that, a big talk, hot air and lip service for every one to hear but NOT SEE...

When they refer to the poor it isn't in regards to 98% it is for the 2%  all this talk about help, borrowing money to do it, their economy seem to have tank but their baht is getting stronger by the day maybe it is true because of the rich?  I live in a village with poor average Thais all around me and I've not heard one get any aid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

those first couple of women don't look like they're starving. 

Photo in op.

They sea gypsies that photo.

thai Buddhist celebrate “duan sip” last week. 

Every year the sea gypsies wait at the temples with color buckets so Buddhists share the food and give the sea gypsies money. For make merit. 

Sea gypsies not Buddhist 

The op is a false narrative. Or the reporter is low knowledge. 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

This is unacceptable, why hasn't the local mayor contacted his Bangkok counterpart and organized food and water and supplies This is concerning to me and i'm sure if the PM Khun Prayut was made aware of this he would most certainly be annoyed nothing was done, and i'm sure he would act. 

I expect we'll see follow up action later today .... imo

You really think prayut doesn't know aboit this ?? Filling his pockets with the rest of the bunch . 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Photo in op.

Every year the sea gypsies wait at the temples with color buckets so Buddhists share the food and give the sea gypsies money. For make merit. 

Sea gypsies not Buddhist 

thank you Yinn ....  problem is the TV farang read this as it's their daily fix and they assume it must be true. 

Edited by steven100
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Photo in op.

Sea gypsies not Buddhist 

Are these 'sea gypsies' as you call them not human and therefore do not require food?

Ah thats OK then if they are poor and cannot afford much..? Yes?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NightSky said:

i suggest you join them for a while - let's say for about 100 years

why are you folks so naive and gullible... you are the same as aussie's and everywhere ... you see it on the internet or the news and instantly you think it must true .... lol

You really think everything you read is true   ???   grow up ... imo

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, paul1804 said:

I live in Koh Samui and opened a Cafe In March this year. At that time and up until the end of July there were quite alot of foreign tourists around, a large group of them used to purchase food parcels and hand them out to needing locals who had become unemployed due to the pandemic. The government was then and is still telling those foreign tourists that remain to leave by the 26th September. These people are renting accomodation, spending money on food, massages, bars, restaurants etc etc etc. why would the government want those few that still remain to leave when on the other hand they are supposedly trying to dream up ways to attract new tourists which obviously has a risk factor.  I agree they need to attract new tourists and get the economy moving, create jobs and support businesses but why chase out those foreigners still here? How does this make any sense!

Good question why does the government want the remaining tourists to leave when it needs the tourists to support the economy?
I have the impression that the government uses C19 for some obscure plans, is it not just the question of health security, is much more.

With an economic and military alliance with China? In this case, Westerners would no longer be welcome and tolerated only those who have married Thais with children.

• Like 2