Still Hungry: Thousands in Phuket remain in need of food donations as government efforts stall

rooster59

9 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

First thing they would have to show them how to use a toilet, Im not kidding

agree ..... these folks are not starving  !  you want to see starving go check out Yemen or Ethiopia.

I understand their plight but two days ago Phuket hoteliers said they don't want foreigners in their hotels so if they are good Thai Buddhist then the hotel owner should give them room and food ..... I won't hold my breath.   Or is it a case of don't want farang and don't want to help THAIS ....  LOL

Edited by steven100
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, steven100 said:

agree ..... these folks are not starving  !  you want to see starving go check out Yemen or Ethiopia.

I understand their plight but two days ago Phuket hoteliers said they don't want foreigners in their hotels so if they are good Thai Buddhist then the hotel owner should give them room and food ..... I won't hold my breath.   Or is it a case of don't want farang and don't want to help THAIS ....  LOL

I live here in Phuket they are not starving believe me 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did wonder how all these people were surviving as the first 4 months there were queues everywhere in towns with people needing food etc and they lined up for ages to get a handout mostly from people who had set it up on Facebook to help and certainly not the government .

Then the government handed out the 5000bht for three months but not many got it . But last three months I haven’t seen any sign on the internet of people queuing up for food or any mention of places doing it , yet the employment rate has dropped like a stone in places so how are they getting by daily ??

22 minutes ago, connda said:

The Elite

"I see nothing.  Nothing!"

Image1.jpg.e14c2a8175530b45b7a298c8aaf20611.jpg

Hummm. Wonder how many proles one man's bling could feed and for how many days?  ????

you just don't know what is correct and real .... you see this article and you assume it's true  !!

well guess what  !   THEY ARE NOTHUNGRY, THEY ARE NOT STARVING .....  it's a media hype , thats all !!!

Maybe the hotelier's association can assist as they don't want farang now so plenty of vacant rooms.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Good question why does the government want the remaining tourists to leave when it needs the tourists to support the economy?
I have the impression that the government uses C19 for some obscure plans, is it not just the question of health security, is much more.

With an economic and military alliance with China? In this case, Westerners would no longer be welcome and tolerated only those who have married Thais with children.

Because anyone who stays in a country the size of Thailand for more 2 or 3 months is really not a tourist. A tourist is a person who tours an area for pleasure or culture. If you're staying longer than 2 or 3 months, you're here for something other than to tour the country. People on amnesty have been here for about 7+ months.

There many reasons to stay in Thailand other than tourism. Many other types of visas are available to extend your stay for legitimate reasons. Try to be honest when stating why you want to stay.

Edited by Banana7

10 hours ago, steven100 said:

This is unacceptable, why hasn't the local mayor contacted his Bangkok counterpart and organized food and water and supplies This is concerning to me and i'm sure if the PM Khun Prayut was made aware of this he would most certainly be annoyed nothing was done, and i'm sure he would act. 

I expect we'll see follow up action later today .... imo

Hahahaha

• Haha 1

I bet these people were not asked if they want to open the borders!!!!!1

More than 6 months of Shut down. Bankrupcies on every corner. Unemployment getting higher and higher.

I respect the fact that one dose not want the covid in the country.

However after 6 months of lockdown surly they are prepared to fight the pandemic. Hospitals with extra beds and all necessarily equipment.

The vis skims will not work. The strategy must be that we live with the virus. You can not shut down the country for such a long time with out any kind of support.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Sean60 said:

I bet these people were not asked if they want to open the borders!!!!!1

More than 6 months of Shut down. Bankrupcies on every corner. Unemployment getting higher and higher.

I respect the fact that one dose not want the covid in the country.

However after 6 months of lockdown surly they are prepared to fight the pandemic. Hospitals with extra beds and all necessarily equipment.

The vis skims will not work. The strategy must be that we live with the virus. You can not shut down the country for such a long time with out any kind of support.

Only the areas that depend on foreign tourists are without revenue. Areas like Phuket, Pattaya, inner city Chiang Mai, several islands are experiencing a catastrophe. People whose livelihood depends on foreign tourist revenue are suffering deeply.

However, the rest of country is doing reasonably well. The official government forecast is for only a 8% decline in GDP from 2019. Bangkok is as busy as ever, no slowdown. Up north, the rice fields are growing. So looking at all businesses in Thailand, basically 92% are stilling doing okay.

Why risk opening the borders without proper quarantines for tourists? It's silly to open them. If the borders are opened without necessary precautions, it will cause deaths, great expenses for health care, and for what?? just increase GDP temporarily by 8%. Once the virus returns and runs rampant, the GDP will be down 20-30% maybe more, because of all the dead and sick people, and new curfews and all the other restrictions we went through to become virus free.

In summary, if someone moves your cheese, you need to move to find another piece of cheese. One has to change, to changing circumstances. To be more specific, move to where the money is. There is lots of money in Thailand and it is not in the tourist areas.

Edited by Banana7

12 hours ago, steven100 said:

This is unacceptable, why hasn't the local mayor contacted his Bangkok counterpart and organized food and water and supplies This is concerning to me and i'm sure if the PM Khun Prayut was made aware of this he would most certainly be annoyed nothing was done, and i'm sure he would act. 

12 hours ago, steven100 said:

That is the best laugh I have had in weeks!  I’m sure many are confused at your humor, but I know you can’t possibly be that out of touch with reality!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The people of Phuket supported the PDRC and Suthep ?? They closed Phuket airport to support the overthrow of an elected government ?

This is fake news surely ? In fact they must in reality be very happy that they got the government they wished for.

Just wait until they see those Chinese submarines sailing around their little island. Truly they will say Prayuth has returned happiness to them in full.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Banana7 said:

Only the areas that depend on foreign tourists are without revenue. Areas like Phuket, Pattaya, inner city Chiang Mai, several islands are experiencing a catastrophe. People whose livelihood depends on foreign tourist revenue are suffering deeply.

However, the rest of country is doing reasonably well. The official government forecast is for only a 8% decline in GDP from 2019. Bangkok is as busy as ever, no slowdown. Up north, the rice fields are growing. So looking at all businesses in Thailand, basically 92% are stilling doing okay.

Why risk opening the borders without proper quarantines for tourists? It's silly to open them. If the borders are opened without necessary precautions, it will cause deaths, great expenses for health care, and for what?? just increase GDP temporarily by 8%. Once the virus returns and runs rampant, the GDP will be down 20-30% maybe more, because of all the dead and sick people, and new curfews and all the other restrictions we went through to become virus free.

In summary, if someone moves your cheese, you need to move to find another piece of cheese. One has to change, to changing circumstances. To be more specific, move to where the money is. There is lots of money in Thailand and it is not in the tourist areas.

So, what you’re saying is that they should “learn to code”

ok...gotcha.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CanuckThai said:

You would assume that local temples would dip into to their baht caves, and nourish a few of the needy.  All the baht donations missing? Spoken for?  What exactly is the mandate of a temple, during a time of need?

CanuckThai, the many thai devotees who give to the temples for merit deserve some payback if the government won't take care.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1