PM pledges to focus on economy as MPs put seal of approval on budget bill

rooster59

PM pledges to focus on economy as MPs put seal of approval on budget bill

By THE NATION

800_54120c014ab1cde.jpg

The fiscal 2021 budget bill sailed through the House of Representatives on Friday (September 18) night after three days of debate.

The budget for the next fiscal year has been set at around Bt3.285 trillion. Of the 456 members of Parliament present in the house, 269 MPs voted in favour, 60 voted against and 127 abstained from voting.

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha thanked the House for passing the bill, and vowed to use the budget for strengthening the country’s economy, ensuring sustainable development, reducing disparity and disbursing aid to all people throughout the country in a transparent manner. He also thanked the special committee on budget bill revision who carefully revised the draft based on suggestions from the MPs over the past three days.

Deputy House Speaker Suchart Tancharoen, who chaired the session, announced the conclusion of the meeting at 11.28pm. However, Amornrat Chokpamitkul, a party-list MP of Kao Klai Party raised her hand asking for a chance to discuss with the prime minister about the ID cards of people travelling from upcountry to Bangkok being checked. Suchart refused to give her the floor, as the topic was not on the agenda and turned off her microphone. Amornrat then approached the PM and had a word with him, but the details of their discussion were not revealed.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30394801?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=internal_referral

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-19

8 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

You are right.  He will need to drink a lot of Thai energy drink to make something happen in the next five years. Thailand, after they got rid of Thaksin and his sister, became more catering to the elites.   He screwed up tourism and help make Vietnam a much more attractive place.  Many on this forum hate Thaksin, but while he had say in government, things were better for everyone.  The economy was retracting long before the virus and the military government did nothing.   The sooner cha cha's smug style of uselessness is removed from governing Thailand, the better off its people will be.   

Are you suggesting that the Shinawatras weren't entrenched within the much beloved elite circles....??

6 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Are you suggesting that the Shinawatras weren't entrenched within the much beloved elite circles....??

He was the prime minister when I decided to retire here, I know little about his politics, but I had no issues or unnecessary expenses regarding immigration then, and would be happy if him and his government were back in now. Anything is better than a bunch of unelected soldiers trying to run the country.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

He was the prime minister when I decided to retire here, I know little about his politics, but I had no issues or unnecessary expenses regarding immigration then, and would be happy if him and his government were back in now. Anything is better than a bunch of unelected soldiers trying to run the country.

You might check again as to who is running the country.

20 hours ago, TooBigToFit said:

Well, they keep running the pro-PM stories going while ignoring the 50k people rallying. A bit surreal here at the moment.

My thoughts are the Shins were hated.   They were part of the elite, but not liked by them.  The elites I met hate him and love the junta.  That is what they said openly.