<deleted> all to do?

Rsteeltje

On 9/19/2020 at 6:26 PM, Yorkshire Tea said:

The first 3 are also good one day rides on a bicycle ????

Not sure what they put in Yorkshire Tea but "normal" people can't do these on a bicycle unless it's an electric one which comes with a bunch of batteries????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rsteeltje said:

Not sure what they put in Yorkshire Tea but "normal" people can't do these on a bicycle unless it's an electric one which comes with a bunch of batteries????

Done the first 3 on my bicycle.  No batteries, pedal power only.  Tough climbs ????

The Pai via backroads is an overnighter on a bicycle, but I know people who've done it.

Recommend all of them for "lesser mortals' with motorbikes.  Beautiful out there ????

Edited by Yorkshire Tea
  • Like 1

The routes are not of much use to me living, as I do in Issan, but the inspiration certainly is! I love to get aboard my motorcycle and just ride.

We have some lovely routes to the south and west of us through hills which divide Sakon Nakhon from Kalasin. Weather permitting I'll be up there tomorrow whilst Madam Moon is off to visit her daughter.

Time permitting I'll take lunch down by the Mekong and then visit the Shrine of the Martyrs.

There is nothing in this world quite like the freedom of a motorcycle.

Sorry, I realize that this is the Chiang Mai forum, but I just got revved up!

Edited by Moonlover

I’d love to get my motorcycle on a train and get up to Chiang Mai do to some of these trips, especially with like minded people....

But, getting the motorcycle out of Bangkok and all the way up to Chiang Mai is no longer doable on the train (150cc limit I think). 

I don’t want to ride that far just to ‘get up there’ - I’ve driven highway 1, its not great fun. 

Taking side trip and days to get up to Chiang Mai also doesn’t really interest me. 

Using a Pickup to courier my bike up there may be the option, but I guess an expensive one. 

I suppose the only option remaining is to hire a bike, but then its not quite the same as riding my own - still the best option though it trusted hire shops with very well maintained bikes could be recommended. 

The issue there is ‘dropping the bike’ on muddy off-road surfaces (which is likely to happen) and being charged a fortune for any scratches. 

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’d love to get my motorcycle on a train and get up to Chiang Mai do to some of these trips, especially with like minded people....

But, getting the motorcycle out of Bangkok and all the way up to Chiang Mai is no longer doable on the train (150cc limit I think). 

I don’t want to ride that far just to ‘get up there’ - I’ve driven highway 1, its not great fun. 

Taking side trip and days to get up to Chiang Mai also doesn’t really interest me. 

Using a Pickup to courier my bike up there may be the option, but I guess an expensive one. 

I suppose the only option remaining is to hire a bike, but then its not quite the same as riding my own - still the best option though it trusted hire shops with very well maintained bikes could be recommended. 

The issue there is ‘dropping the bike’ on muddy off-road surfaces (which is likely to happen) and being charged a fortune for any scratches. 

You might think about sending it up there by Thailand Post. I've read of quite a few successful deliveries.

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the rides. Good idea.

I'm cycling now but still know quite some neat loops around Chiang Dao (Muang Khong, Wiang Haeng, Pai, Arunotai, Doi Ang Khang, Prao...). So if once you plan to visit North, drop a MP and we'll meet in front a beer to show you those neat loops.

Cheers!