Cateract operation

alfen

I have one in one eye ,here in PATTAYA i went to a private doctor 6 yrs ago ,"must be done immediatly paid 3 or 4 k for exam and drops ,then it will  cost 52k for op." as it was very minor i went to queen Sirikit hospital in Satahip for second opinion ,get test ever 6 months 900 baht.

now 6yrs later i can notice its getting worse ,mind you still not that bad.

dont rush it .

I had both eyes done (three weeks apart) here in Ubon Ratchathani in 2012 with laser surgery. Cost was about 23,000 baht per eye. I had been wearing glasses for over 40 years and after the operations were completed, threw the glasses away and put on dark glasses to stop the glare. I am sure there are equally good cataract surgeons in Khon Kaen, as it is now a common practice in Thailand. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, alfen said:

Thanks for the reply, did you use a private clinic or public hospital? 

I don't think cost has changed that much but you have given me a good guide,  regards Al.

Believe price will likely be more in any private hospital - as is almost any medical procedure - prices have increased greatly in the last decade.  Remember a portion of the cost will be the lens used and that is imported in most cases and measurement requires state of the art computer equipment that only the larger hospitals are likely to have.  Still believe you should ask for this topic to be moved to medical for best advise.  Believe you could do that just using the report function for original post.  Or just ask in a post and someone will do.

Edited by lopburi3

3 hours ago, Michael Hare said:

I had both eyes done (three weeks apart) here in Ubon Ratchathani in 2012 with laser surgery. Cost was about 23,000 baht per eye. I had been wearing glasses for over 40 years and after the operations were completed, threw the glasses away and put on dark glasses to stop the glare. I am sure there are equally good cataract surgeons in Khon Kaen, as it is now a common practice in Thailand. 

Was this at Warin Hospital, Michael??

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Believe price will likely be more in any private hospital - as is almost any medical procedure - prices have increased greatly in the last decade.  Remember a portion of the cost will be the lens used and that is imported in most cases and measurement requires state of the art computer equipment that only the larger hospitals are likely to have.  Still believe you should ask for this topic to be moved to medical for best advise.  Believe you could do that just using the report function for original post.  Or just ask in a post and someone will do.

Thanks for reply but what I was asking really was anyone had caterract surgery in khon kaen district, 

I know the cost in Bangkok hospitals both gov and private, 

Gov, 30/40000 per eye and private 40/5000 per eye, 

But living in the khon kaen District I would prefer to have it done close to home, so any information on places there would be of help, 

Regards.

12 hours ago, Patriot said:

Was this at Warin Hospital, Michael??

No Patriot, it was not at Warin public hospital. It was at Dr Sima's private clinic on Chayangung Road at the entrance to the now closed Pathumrat hotel. Dr Sima used to practice at the Warin army hospital. Maybe he still does from time to time. If you get the surgery done remember to buy a decent pair or pairs of dark glasses. One's eyes are very sensitive to sunlight. I made the mistake of walking up the road to a Top Charoen eyeglass shop. "Buy one pair get one free". Hopeless. Quickly, I got a high quality polarized pair because they really reduce the glare. I now have six pairs, each for different types of work ranging from gardening, driving the car, travelling and working in the fields with my seed crops; Rayban, Persol, Oakley and Serengeti.

19 hours ago, Michael Hare said:

could you please name or explain the procedure you had, as i was not aware they could remove and replace a lens using laser, As far as i am aware a laser is only used to treat secondary cataract (capsulotomy), which after i had this procedure my eye sight returned to pre secondary cataract prescription

The old lens is normally removed using a small incision and then ultasound to break up the old lens ( phacoemulsification) or by a ( extracapsular cataract extraction) using a larger incision and removing the old lens in one piece, either way a new lens is then implanted.

The choice of lens makes a difference to any corrective glasses having to be used after the op, in my case the lens used resulted in my eye sight returning to pre op, pre cataract prescription.

Edited by steve187

17 hours ago, steve187 said:

could you please name or explain the procedure you had, as i was not aware they could remove and replace a lens using laser, As far as i am aware a laser is only used to treat secondary cataract (capsulotomy), which after i had this procedure my eye sight returned to pre secondary cataract prescription

The old lens is normally removed using a small incision and then ultasound to break up the old lens ( phacoemulsification) or by a ( extracapsular cataract extraction) using a larger incision and removing the old lens in one piece, either way a new lens is then implanted.

The choice of lens makes a difference to any corrective glasses having to be used after the op, in my case the lens used resulted in my eye sight returning to pre op, pre cataract prescription.

If it's what I had, RLE, they use a laser to break the lens up. Had an interesting light show of points of light in a kind of Paisley pattern, ending with a translucent brown mush that used to be my lens. Could feel the heat, but it was bearable.

7 years later, this year, I wen't back and had the secondary cataract dealt with.

From age 5 until 46 I wore glasses and was terribly long sighted. ow at 53 I can see fine.

This was in Prague, so I can't help with a clinic.

• Like 1

Believe below is a simple explanation of the removal methods.  From my sisters experience in USA Laser can/did have mechanical issues so perhaps not as attractive as it might appear.

The lens is removed in one of the following ways, depending on the type of cataract:

• Phacoemulsification: With this procedure, the doctor uses a tool that produces sound waves to break up the cataract into small pieces. The pieces are then suctioned out. This procedure uses a very small incision.
  • Extracapsular extraction: The doctor uses a small tool to remove the cataract in mostly one piece. This procedure uses a larger incision.
  • Laser surgery: The doctor guides a machine that uses laser energy to make the incisions and soften the cataract. The rest of the surgery is much like phacoemulsification. Using the laser instead of a knife (scalpel) may speed recovery and be more accurate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One thing that really hasn't been discussed so far is the IOL (intraocular lens) implanted once the cataract/natural lens was removed.  Type of IOL chosen has a BIG impact on price....it like either buying a pair of Bt100 glasses at the local market or spending Bt30K for top end glasses at a eye glasses store.   The IOL chosen makes the price of a cataract surgery vary a LOT. 

Various types of IOLs....monofocal, multifocal as in bifocal or trifocal, toric lens for astigmatism correction, etc., with the monofocal being the lowest cost as it's set for good vision at a certain distance.....multifocal bifocal were it's set for good vision at two distances like intermediate and far, and multifocal trifocal where it's set for good visions at the three distances of near, intermediate and far.  Also toric lens to correct astigmatism.  Definition of "near" vision is approx 16 inches (about where you hold your reading material), "intermediate" vision is at arms length, and "far" vision is beyond arms length to the far distance.

Yeap, having the cataract/natural lens removed is only half the story; the other half is what IOL you choose.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had cataract op on one eye at Bangkok Hospital in Khon Kaen in April this year, very good.
You normally have a choice of local or general anesthetic.
Excellent pre and post op consultation.
I had a special lens fitted.
The hardest part is NOT using your eye for a month.

You have to keep you eye dry.
I have issues with many antibiotics and they found alternatives which were just suitable.

One visit before op, day of op, 3 days and one week after, follow up if problems one month later.
Excellent treatment, very professional at all stages.  When my BP went very high they intervened with a jab and carried on with the op.

Cost of op etc. 42K + about 2k for pre and post op testing.

Edited by Speedo1968
missed text

Both cataracts done at the Warin army hospital. Total combined cost for both eyes was 38,000bht, about 19,000bht each last year....

Also had a detached retina fixed last year after the previous op's at the Queens hozzy, Khon Kaen. Cost for the op and 4 day stay in a posh room, was 66,000bht.... 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2020 at 7:48 PM, Pib said:

One thing that really hasn't been discussed so far is the IOL (intraocular lens) implanted once the cataract/natural lens was removed.  Type of IOL chosen has a BIG impact on price....it like either buying a pair of Bt100 glasses at the local market or spending Bt30K for top end glasses at a eye glasses store.   The IOL chosen makes the price of a cataract surgery vary a LOT. 

Various types of IOLs....monofocal, multifocal as in bifocal or trifocal, toric lens for astigmatism correction, etc., with the monofocal being the lowest cost as it's set for good vision at a certain distance.....multifocal bifocal were it's set for good vision at two distances like intermediate and far, and multifocal trifocal where it's set for good visions at the three distances of near, intermediate and far.  Also toric lens to correct astigmatism.  Definition of "near" vision is approx 16 inches (about where you hold your reading material), "intermediate" vision is at arms length, and "far" vision is beyond arms length to the far distance.

Yeap, having the cataract/natural lens removed is only half the story; the other half is what IOL you choose.

I had this (in Pattaya) nearly 10 years ago-----never worn glasses since, they keep you in overnight against the chance of infection, took about  1 hour , literally less pain than a dentist visit. Pick what lens you wish, I started with 20-12 vision when i first had it--10 years on and I'm in my mid 70s so the eye mussels weaken, probably around 20/20 vision. So great to read a newspaper, then look at things in the distance .