Where to stay in Phuket for a month or 2?

Getting very bored in Buriram, and there's no way ill be leaving thailand anytime soon to get back to work, so Im thinking about taking advantage of the lack of tourists and the extremely low cost of accommodation and going to Phuket for a month or 2. 

Its been ages since ive been there. I have a few questions. 

1 - Wheres the best area to stay? I want to stay somewhere on the west side of the island, clean beaches, but in a "town" big enough that there's still plenty of food/resturants/grocery stores and grabfood/foodpanda still works all the time.

2 - Ive been looking at airbnb and there's some great deals going on, but can anyone recommend any other websites that have longer term holiday rentals that ALSO take credit cards? Ive got a 0% for 18 months card that I want to use for the holiday. 

3 - How is the power grid/internet lately? Stable or should I expect long outages sweating by balls off? 

Thanks. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I live in the south of the island Rawai/Nai Harn the area is fairly busy as lots of expats live here everything is still operating although not 100% then you have Nai Harn beach today is a bit wild wi

Laguna area or around the fringes, i.e. Cherngtalay.  Good range of cheap accommodation, plenty of bars and variety of restaurants open, popular with Expats, 2 big supermarts and other local shops, Bo

I would guess that you have never been to Buriram!   Kamala is heaven by comparison and there is far more to the place than "expats drinking all day" if you venture away from the main drag (

Posted Images

I'd like to hear suggestions as well.  We like being in the "city" busy areas (this is now a relative term with the situation. I get it).

Edited by Dart12
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, stuarty said:

Laguna area or around the fringes, i.e. Cherngtalay.  Good range of cheap accommodation, plenty of bars and variety of restaurants open, popular with Expats, 2 big supermarts and other local shops, Boat Avenue, Porto de Phuket (Central), golf, good beach, blue tree water park etc.  No brainer.

Thats bang tao beach area, right? 

2 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Thats bang tao beach area, right? 

Correct.  But the middle (Laguna/Cherngtalay) and north (Layan) parts only.  Better beach and facilities.  The bottom end (Bangtao) is touristy and mostly shut.

7 minutes ago, stuarty said:

If you want to rent a  villa or condo for a month or 2, ask a local property agent, or there are various options/deals on this site, across the island

Problem is most of those people only want to take cash, and they want massive deposits as well. 

10 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Problem is most of those people only want to take cash, and they want massive deposits as well. 

Yeah, so a hotel then initially?

1 hour ago, stuarty said:

Laguna area or around the fringes, i.e. Cherngtalay.  Good range of cheap accommodation, plenty of bars and variety of restaurants open, popular with Expats, 2 big supermarts and other local shops, Boat Avenue, Porto de Phuket (Central), golf, good beach, blue tree water park etc.  No brainer.

+++cheap accommodation in CT? where? and no beach in chern talay, (unless you mean Laguna/Layan or Bang Tao)
Kamala has a good beach, (no west coast beaches are truly "clean" this time of year)

enough bars with expats drinking daily, 8 ( or is it 9 now) 7/11's, restaurants and supermarkets open that you dont really need head over the hills more than once a week

Lots of affordable accommodation; houses an condos from 10,000...

Hotels from 6,000/month

• Like 1

Don't go to Kamala unless you like to sit and watch expats drinking all day and enjoy a variety of 7/11s. Used to be a nice beach 30 years ago though, when Diver's was the only shack on that beach.

Personally, I'm looking for a place that preferably has a sea view.  or a nice villa.

Looked on airbnb for a second and seems to be some really nice villas between 25000 and30000.  Except I had NO idea if there were located anywhere central.

Those prices also shocked me, as I thought Phuket was more expensive than Pattaya in general.