Where to stay in Phuket for a month or 2?

Mama Noodle

15 hours ago, stuarty said:

Kamala is heaven by comparison and there is far more to the place than "expats drinking all day" if you venture away from the main drag (strip) and one-day-it-will-be-walking-street Rim Hat.

Heaven? What does you mean Rim Hat? What "far more" is there outside the main drag - not much? Please list it out. A coffee shop?  There's nothing of particular off the main raceway, and is aspiration to being Hat Rim walking street a thing for Kamala locals, or just you ? Is that what local residents want? Do you speak for Kamala? It is one of the most corrupt jurisdictions in Phuket.  

I helped pulled bodies out of the lake and painted their school after the tsunami btw and got no thanks at the end of the day except more hands sticking out.

15 hours ago, stuarty said:

Kamala is heaven by comparison and there is far more to the place than "expats drinking all day" if you venture away from the main drag (strip) and one-day-it-will-be-walking-street Rim Hat.

Heaven? What does you mean Rim Hat? What "far more" is there outside the main drag - not much? Please list it out. A coffee shop?  There's nothing of particular off the main raceway, and is aspiration to being Hat Rim walking street a thing for Kamala locals, or just you ? Is that what local residents want? Do you speak for Kamala? It is one of the most corrupt jurisdictions in Phuket.  

I helped pulled bodies out of the lake and painted their school after the tsunami btw and got no thanks at the end of the day except more hands sticking out.

Lucky they didnt get you for no work permit?  That one Irks me...

On 9/19/2020 at 1:52 PM, stuarty said:

Yeah, so a hotel then initially?

Yeah well, have you considered the hosts situation?  If no decent damage deposit and having yahoo's staying with possible large destruction posibilies.......

19 minutes ago, Sundown said:

It's not in the middle of nowhere. 10 minutes from patong. 20 min from Kata/Nai Harn. Can shop everyday at Tops Market, have a Starbucks or a real sushi, eat at Central Buffet which is excellent. Stuff you cannot have everywhere in Phuket except in Laguna.

Just giving options, I know everybody has their own needs.

If you want to rent a car or a bike ... I'm not sure the OP wants to. If you take one of those horrible songthaews from Central to Patong (the ones coming from the market in Phuket Town), it takes 30 min.  

Every 2 hours or so, instead of the songthaews you get a proper full-sized bus. But they're not really faster.

13 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

Unless going there for only partying and at this time of the year (rain season) your best bet is Phuket town. Beaches are not nice anyway now and at this time deserted even in a "normal low season" and due to regularly storms until November swimming is not safe. Stay in town and you easily reach the beaches when the sun gets out and you have access to real Thai food to Thai prices. Fitness, Swimming pools, Big C, Tops and both Central Phuket and Central Florista a brisk walk or 5 minute drive from wherever your located and the biggest plus the locals in Phuket town still don't think every foreigner are a 2 week tourist and treated thereafter. 

Felt.

Actually I think the locals in Phuket Town are exceptionally nice. There's a big difference between local Phuketians and people who moved to Phuket to feed off tourism - you will not find many of the latter in Phuket Town.

• Like 1

Any of those places mentioned would be good.  For  those who want a real town feeling, Phuket town is the only choice. Will you have a car or scooter ?  Otherwise getting around is difficult as there’s no good public transport outside of Phuket town. Stay somewhere a week or less and drive round to see which  resort village suits you best. Make sure you have a hotel or Airbnb with pool as the sea in this season can be rough. 

• Like 1

Looks like im about to pull the plug on a 2 bedroom condo in the nai harn beach area for 15k a month plus electric and water. 

Wanted to check with the board if there's still plenty of resturants, food delivery, and grocery stores in the area? I will rent a motorbike for the month, and probably a car at some point, but still want to be able to eat and grocery shop without any hassle. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

I'll do theh same as you, but grab a hotel for a few days instead while I do my scouting.  I hate 'moving'.  Just want to plop down and get into a living routine asap since I have a business to run.

I thought about doing the same but decided to go straight into a condo. Bringing the wife and a 2 month old baby, I didn’t want to have to move around a bunch.  2 bedrooms, 3 55” smart tv’s and pool access directly off the balcony for 15k in a decent area should fit the bill. 

16 hours ago, stuandjulie said:

Rawai/Nai Hahn for me, good amount of expats and still open unlike the west coast tourist traps. Why don't you pop down and stay in couple of Hotels around the place first, believe me they will bite your hand off ! 

make sure u check how far you are for the beach at Nai harn, as i recall, no condos near the beach ( less than 1 kms)
lots of ones inland, built on what was 10 years ago, buffalo paddys

To each their own>>>>

FYI:

on my morning bicycle ride aorund kamala, saw signs for at least 10 houses and lots of empty condos

Edited by zzzzz

24 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

make sure u check how far you are for the beach at Nai harn, as i recall, no condos near the beach ( less than 1 kms)
lots of ones inland, built on what was 10 years ago, buffalo paddys

To each their own>>>>

FYI:

on my morning bicycle ride aorund kamala, saw signs for at least 10 houses and lots of empty condos

You're right. Nai Harn Beach is great, but I also can't recall any condos close to the beach. As of late, I've only passed through Nai Harn early morning, so I'm not sure about the restaurant situation; but as the expat enclave of Rawai is nearby, some restaurants may be open. Maggie & Mario's (M&M) would be worth checking out. 

On 9/19/2020 at 4:47 PM, Dart12 said:

Personally, I'm looking for a place that preferably has a sea view.  or a nice villa.

Looked on airbnb for a second and seems to be some really nice villas between 25000 and30000.  Except I had NO idea if there were located anywhere central.

Those prices also shocked me, as I thought Phuket was more expensive than Pattaya in general.

The Oceana Condotel in Kamala is really nice and pretty new.  Most of the units have a sea view.  Beautiful pool and a small fitness center overlooking the pool.  Short walk to the beach, Big C, Super Cheap, fresh market and bars and restaurants.  A lot of the restaurants in Kamala are closed now, but if you don't mind a short drive to Boat Avenue in Cherng Talay it looks like everything is still open there and there's lot's to choose from.   I booked a condo at Oceana on Air BnB when we stayed there for a couple weeks last year.

6 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

Looks like im about to pull the plug on a 2 bedroom condo in the nai harn beach area for 15k a month plus electric and water. 

Wanted to check with the board if there's still plenty of resturants, food delivery, and grocery stores in the area? I will rent a motorbike for the month, and probably a car at some point, but still want to be able to eat and grocery shop without any hassle. 

Yes plenty, not all on a drag but close enough with small marts all over and bigger supermarkets such as Macro, Villa Mart, etc. about 5 mins drive away. Lakeside bar in Nai Hahn is a good hangout.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

Plenty of food options. I think you'll be able to find cheaper, but understand not wanting to move around.

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

Plenty of food options. I think you'll be able to find cheaper, but understand not wanting to move around.

Looks to be in about this area, should be ok I reckon? Looks to be in the "town" part with stuff around but a short motorbike ride to the lake/beach. 

Ive been looking for a while and this one seems to be the best compromise between price, location, and finish. Anything cheaper (at least on airbnb) starts to get a bit crummy with small tv's and mini sofas etc. This ones got 3 full size tv's, 2 full bedrooms and bathrooms, looks brand new, and I can step off the balcony/terrace into the swimming pool with direct access.

If anyone can give any advice on a cheaper but well kitted 2 bed place to stay that takes credit cards, I would love to have a look. 

673829679_ScreenShot2020-09-21at4_21_19PM.png.57f3c88045b86fb5c25b16b5aa52e1bd.png

39 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Looks to be in about this area, should be ok I reckon? Looks to be in the "town" part with stuff around but a short motorbike ride to the lake/beach. 

Ive been looking for a while and this one seems to be the best compromise between price, location, and finish. Anything cheaper (at least on airbnb) starts to get a bit crummy with small tv's and mini sofas etc. This ones got 3 full size tv's, 2 full bedrooms and bathrooms, looks brand new, and I can step off the balcony/terrace into the swimming pool with direct access.

If anyone can give any advice on a cheaper but well kitted 2 bed place to stay that takes credit cards, I would love to have a look. 

673829679_ScreenShot2020-09-21at4_21_19PM.png.57f3c88045b86fb5c25b16b5aa52e1bd.png

Calypso?

Don't bother about the lake, but the islander is close, direction rawai, and on sai yuan road going the other way will take you into sai yuan, plenty there.

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Calypso?

Not sure, this place does not want to make public their specific location or building until you book. They only give you a map point but the address and building name are hidden. Makes sense, Id probably do the same. 

Plus I dont want to post it so someone doesn't scoop it up from under me LOL

The renter says she can get me a honda click 125cc for a month for 2500 baht - sound about right? 

She also says 800 baht from the airport to the condo - seems steep but its probably better considering I dont know where the heck im going? 

22 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Not sure, this place does not want to make public their specific location or building until you book. They only give you a map point but the address and building name are hidden. Makes sense, Id probably do the same. 

Plus I dont want to post it so someone doesn't scoop it up from under me LOL

The renter says she can get me a honda click 125cc for a month for 2500 baht - sound about right? 

She also says 800 baht from the airport to the condo - seems steep but its probably better considering I dont know where the heck im going? 

Not sure about motorbike rental prices right now. Could maybe do a bit cheaper locally, but not by much. 

800 BAHT is pre covid price. You can find for 650, but for convenience I'd go for via her for 800 

Calypso is new, should be ok.

• Thanks 1

Rawai is the only choice right now. The place is open and buzzing. Bars and restaurants are open. Live music most nights. Cheap accommodation (e.g. 2 bedroom villa with pool 15000 baht p.m.) Some expats have moved down to Rawai from Patong, Karon and Kata as those areas are ghost towns.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...