Interesting Video 5 reasons Thailand dealt successfully with Covid

Nout

16 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I'd agree some of the factors in the video are valid. Mask wearing, the wai, removing shoes. However, claiming  Thais shower twice a day is patently ridiculous - some rural Thais live under trees on pallets.

I consider there is several other factors contributing to the limited spread here. Thailand has had BCG vaccination since the 70's, and there is enough evidence for South Australia to be running a trial with 500 frontline health workers to test the hypothesis BCG mitigates or prevents coronavirus infection.

Coronavirus likes cold, and dry conditions. Thailand is hot and humid. IMO the use of spices in just about every cooked food here could also be a factor in limiting transmissibility.

Every problem is also an opportunity. I am anticipating a truckload of Ph.D. theses and Lancet articles explaining Thailand's great escape.

I'm surprised being outdoors also didn't get a mention as most Thais spend most of their time either outdoors or in well ventilated areas.

3 hours ago, jadee said:

Back in Jan/Feb when Thailand was 2nd after China in terms of the number of infections, I was initially very worried, and then numbers in other countries started shooting up while Thailand's didn't. I always felt that if the numbers were true, it was the fact that everyone was wearing masks. 

I was in Thailand (Pattaya/Jomtien) from November until 8 March, and not too many people were wearing masks, certainly not many at peak Chinese influx in January. Law mandating masks was only enacted long after the Chinese had stopped coming.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Because about 1500 or more healthcare works contracted covid and about 500 aged care residents died with or of covid.Of course I don't know but I'm willing to take "assume" and make an "a$$" out of "u" and "me".

Presumably more people did not die. And I agree PPE is not a guarantee of good health but helps mitigate against transmission. In the UK PPE was issued very late, perhaps also in Australia which initially seemed to be doing so well. The main cause of deaths in care homes in the UK was the removal of  ill old people from hospitals and moving them into care homes to free up hospital beds.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I agree with you that it's preferable living here but for me it has nothing to do with contracting this virus.How do you know if the risks of contracting Covid are less here if they are not doing similar testing as in other countries is it you believe the Thai numbers?Do you know how the Thai administration is classifying deaths here?You said your self it's possible the virus spread through Thailand without the authorities being able to classify the real cause?There is nothing in this video that Thailand did that other countries around the world didn't also do and I'm not saying that every country did every thing as other asian countries,Sth Korea and Japan,did the mask thing and have similar social customs concerning social distancing but that have much more extensive testing and desire to find the truth than Thailand.The numbers of people dying of Covid without co-morbidities are starting to emerge and they seem to be very low.Of course I believe people are dying by the thousands with and because of covid but people have been dying in there thousands every year of the flu and there's not much I can do about it regardless of the fact that the moon is made of blue cheese why else would the moon be blue?

The UK did not block international arrivals and thus imported the virus on passengers from Spain, Italy, Pakistan and Iran. It only introduced masks a couple of weeks ago. Thailand did not go into full lock down like many countries and relied on community health workers, masks, social distancing and temperature tests plus close observation and quarantine of suspected cases.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nout said:

Presumably more people did not die. And I agree PPE is not a guarantee of good health but helps mitigate against transmission. In the UK PPE was issued very late, perhaps also in Australia which initially seemed to be doing so well. The main cause of deaths in care homes in the UK was the removal of  ill old people from hospitals and moving them into care homes to free up hospital beds.

It was stated by many health experts in the beginning that the virus maybe slowed down but not stopped and these measures like lockdowns were done to flatten the curve which was fair enough but then in Oz and New Zealand they seem to have convinced themselves that it's best to eliminate the curve all together,but in doing so have eliminated the economic curve and accelerated other more undesirable curves and are now trapped by the fear of the next wave which will only drown the economy even more.It's quite sad how such a "clever country" got itself into this predicament.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Nout said:

The UK did not block international arrivals and thus imported the virus on passengers from Spain, Italy, Pakistan and Iran. It only introduced masks a couple of weeks ago. Thailand did not go into full lock down like many countries and relied on community health workers, masks, social distancing and temperature tests plus close observation and quarantine of suspected cases.

With hygiene being so important and mentioned as one of the 5 things that helped,the video failed to mention the lack of hygiene when it comes to eating Thai style which would negate any benefits of the Wai and the lack of the use of soap.

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

With hygiene being so important and mentioned as one of the 5 things that helped,the video failed to mention the lack of hygiene when it comes to eating Thai style which would negate any benefits of the Wai and the lack of the use of soap.

Chopsticks. Forks and spoons? Thais are health and hygiene obsessed. Poor people are immaculately clean. They bathe before sex. They are constantly sweeping up. Anybody who does know how clean Thais are simply does not know any Thais. This latter category of people feature a lot here and some actually believe Thais don't know about soap.

1 hour ago, Tounge Thaied said:

Reason #1
No Mass Testing

Reason #2

Counting

This is the success of Thailand. 

So you want to believe. But they are testing..all inward bound passengers and people who are suspected of having Covid-19. They recently tested 100s of people who had been in contact with an imprisoned DJ. The success of Thai, which is now internationally recognized is the low death rate and empty morgue and hospitals. You dont want to believe ANYTHING good about Thailand do you? Anyway I am sure you can agree you prefer to be than in Melbourne or UK or a host of other countries. If not, I believe you get flights out to your own country.

A very good video.  However, he doesn't make the case that for the relative absence of the D614G variant being a major factor.  If the countries with high infection rates all had mostly D614G while those that successfully suppressed it all mostly did not, then that would support the case.  Does anyone have any data on that question.

I attribute the Thai success to the high quality of the public health service and the fact that the politicians left managing the outbreak to the public health officials after the initial phase.

Thailand deserves a lot of credit.  I am certainly glad that I am here and not in the wretched US.

On 9/20/2020 at 10:43 AM, cmarshall said:

A very good video.  However, he doesn't make the case that for the relative absence of the D614G variant being a major factor.  If the countries with high infection rates all had mostly D614G while those that successfully suppressed it all mostly did not, then that would support the case.  Does anyone have any data on that question.

I attribute the Thai success to the high quality of the public health service and the fact that the politicians left managing the outbreak to the public health officials after the initial phase.

Thailand deserves a lot of credit.  I am certainly glad that I am here and not in the wretched US.

What a nice positive, thoughtful post.