Thai driving licence renewal

Bigz

Hi! 

Anyone knows the actual requirements for renewing a 2 years licence to a 5 year? 

My original 2 years temporary licence was done on a single entry tv - no problems at all. Last week I went to Buriram LTO to get a 5 years licence. I was told that it can only be done with an annual visa or extension in your passport. My annual extension based upon marriage is under way. I have an under consideration stamp in my passport 'till 26 oct. She wouldn't accept it.

Now I am without a licence until I get my stamp in my passport. 

Do you know if the woman at the office followed the standard procedure or just making up her rules? Last time I had zero problems with a tourist visa.

Thanks for your input.

16 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Thai law are you joking the DLT lady is the law.

If you want a 5 year DL you'll have to wait until you're passport is stamped up like DLT lady said or you can get another 2 year one. 

Thanks for your input. I just wanted to know if that's standard or the lady had a bad day. Upnotver gave me the answer so I guess I'll just wait until I get my stamp and have my wife drive my ass around whenever I feel like going to town.

I renewed both my motorbike and car DL last week, in Koh Samui, I went before to ask what was needed: a letter confirming my address  by the immigration and a medical certificate, my passport of course, with copies of the first page with my name and the page with my yearly extension.

Immigration asked me a photo and 500 Bahts nothing else the young lady asks my address verbally to my wife nothing more, she said for two DL ? I said yes, so she made two letters so two photos and 1000 Bahts, so when I went to the hospital for the medical certificate I asked for two certificates 500 Bahts.

But since it was the same day they told me one letter from the immigration and one medical certificate was enough, and after the 3 tests for colour reflex and depth perception I received both my five years DL.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Driving on an expired license is not that big a deal, particularly with the ongoing covid debacle.

Agreed, and if you can get an appointment slip for the next visit to the Land Transport office that will act as a temporary licence, or so I was told in the Pattaya office. She told me to photograph the appointment paper and said it would be enough for the police as they could see you were trying to renew your licence, but I'm not sure how the insurance companies would feel about it in the event of an accident.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Driving on an expired license is not that big a deal, particularly with the ongoing covid debacle.

Until you have an accident and find that your insurance is invalid! I think the O/P has a better idea. Let the wife do the driving.

• Like 2

no problem really.  You can drive on the expired license with no problem for a year.  When you do go to do the new license, if it is after your birthday this year, you will get a 6 year driver's license.  As for having copies of anything, the license office in C/M has someone to make any and all copies needed of any documents for 1 baht per page.  No problems.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

A 2 year temporary driving licence is available for anyone on any visa or visa exempt stamp.

Renewing to a 5 year visa requires the applicant / licence holder to hold a Non-Immigrant Visa (or extension of).

Thus: If you get your Visa extension, you will then be granted a 5 year licence.

If you are concerned about not having a current licence, secure your 2 year licence and apply for a 5 year licence in two years time - the only real issue is the extra time it will cost you in 2 years. 

It’s not really an issue except for subtle differences: 

- You cannot obtain an a Thai IDP with a 2 year temp licence. 

- DUI regulations are slightly different (20mg/100ml BAC with 2 yr temp and 50mg/100ml BAC with a 5 yr licence)

Thanks

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Yeah, someone posted here on TV that his licence was expired for 2 weeks and when the cops stopped him in Bangkok they fined him and confiscated his licence. That part made me worry. I live in village and anyone can drive without a licence here but quite often when I go to town in the morning and afternoon rush hours there are police road blocks checking the licence. 

15 minutes ago, Presnock said:

no problem really.  You can drive on the expired license with no problem for a year.  When you do go to do the new license, if it is after your birthday this year, you will get a 6 year driver's license.  As for having copies of anything, the license office in C/M has someone to make any and all copies needed of any documents for 1 baht per page.  No problems.

Like everyone say. It depend on your kind of visa.. A tourist visa or exemption visa will not cut it. You need a Non immigran O or other kind of longer stay visa like Education, business. Non Immi with retirement extension or only a Non I which you will get if you get an extension based on marriage..

For some thoug it is actually worse that the one year limit after its expired has come and gone and there is no way to renew it since one can not actually be in thailand right now. That is tricky. Best would probably be to just show an international and say you want to convert that one one more time again. Point is.. They will let you take exam and driving one more time, but if you insist on not doing that.. Say you just want to convert your foreign international license(that is license with an international extra paper from relevant authorities in home country) , I dont think they can deny that.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, paahlman said:

Like everyone say. It depend on your kind of visa.. A tourist visa or exemption visa will not cut it. You need a Non immigran O or other kind of longer stay visa like Education, business. Non Immi with retirement extension or only a Non I which you will get if you get an extension based on marriage..

For some thoug it is actually worse that the one year limit after its expired has come and gone and there is no way to renew it since one can not actually be in thailand right now. That is tricky. Best would probably be to just show an international and say you want to convert that one one more time again. Point is.. They will let you take exam and driving one more time, but if you insist on not doing that.. Say you just want to convert your foreign international license(that is license with an international extra paper from relevant authorities in home country) , I dont think they can deny that.

If your licence is in English language an IDP from your home country is not required to apply for your 2 year temp licence in Thailand. 

No need for the exam and practical driving test - just the regular reaction and vision tests (in the room) and the 45min video. 

2 hours ago, phartley58 said:

I wouldn't worry too much about it. You can renew up to a year after the expiry date with no penalties. Wait for your extension, then do it. 

Most DLT's will not renew an expired temporary (2 years) licence. The possibility of renewing the licence up to one year after the expiry date is only for the permanent (5 years) licence.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bigz said:

Thanks for your input. I just wanted to know if that's standard or the lady had a bad day. Upnotver gave me the answer so I guess I'll just wait until I get my stamp and have my wife drive my ass around whenever I feel like going to town.

There are no real rulz ....

23 minutes ago, Seeall said:

5 years ago it was 1 year then 5y

Yeah but OP has to wait for his passport to be stamped 1 year before they renew his 5 year DL. 

If OP wants a DL now, immediately, do not understand,  I want no fuss from Idiots, give me a DL now,  he can only get another 2 year one. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Until you have an accident and find that your insurance is invalid! I think the O/P has a better idea. Let the wife do the driving.

I think having the wife drive him around is fine, but not everyone is married, and not all wives drive.

That your insurance is invalid when your license expires is a myth. 

42 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I think having the wife drive him around is fine, but not everyone is married, and not all wives drive.

You obviously have not been paying attention. The O/P clearly stated in post #6 

23 hours ago, Bigz said:

I guess I'll just wait until I get my stamp and have my wife drive my ass around whenever I feel like going to town.

And as far as the insurance 'myth' goes, I personally would not be prepared to put that to the test.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I always thought they always find a reason not to pay!

4 hours ago, swissbie said:

Most DLT's will not renew an expired temporary (2 years) licence. The possibility of renewing the licence up to one year after the expiry date is only for the permanent (5 years) licence.

What is permanent about it?

10 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

You obviously have not been paying attention. The O/P clearly stated in post #6 

And as far as the insurance 'myth' goes, I personally would not be prepared to put that to the test.

Better of aving wife drive, and dont show yourself or its all your fault...

• Sad 1