Thai driving licence renewal

Bigz

On 9/19/2020 at 6:07 PM, Bigz said:

Thanks

On 9/19/2020 at 5:38 PM, Upnotover said:

This is the listed requirement on the DLT website;

"PASSPORT WITH NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY)"

Also you may need a medical certificate and a certificate of residence. I went back and forth 3 times as they were telling me 1 item at a time that they required. My butt is still sore.

7 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

Also you may need a medical certificate and a certificate of residence. I went back and forth 3 times as they were telling me 1 item at a time that they required. My butt is still sore.

no need med cert for pattaya.....do need cert of residence.....even tho it is  on old driving licence, back of it....

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

You obviously have not been paying attention. The O/P clearly stated in post #6 

And as far as the insurance 'myth' goes, I personally would not be prepared to put that to the test.

Clearly you're not paying attention as I said everyone is not married, I did not say the OP was not married. 

You are certainly welcome to do whatever you like, but it seems odd to me that in a county that mandates you have insurance to drive,  and has no penalty for renewing an expired license would allow insurance companies to void insurance when the insured's license expires. If your insurance is voided for the period your license is expired, they would have to refund your premiums until it's renewed, yet they do not.

Another common myth is that your insurance is voided if you're driving drunk, or breaking some other law.

6 hours ago, Presnock said:

no problem really.  You can drive on the expired license with no problem for a year.  When you do go to do the new license, if it is after your birthday this year, you will get a 6 year driver's license.  As for having copies of anything, the license office in C/M has someone to make any and all copies needed of any documents for 1 baht per page.  No problems.

No problem you reckon, try reading your insurance policy if you have one.

Ours clearly state that the driver is required to have a current driver’s licence and also state words to the effect that there is no coverage in the event of an accident if the driver is under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 5:35 PM, Bigz said:

For a 5 year one an annual visa extension actually required by law? Do you know? 

You should have checked the website

https://www.dlt.go.th/site/buriram/m-news/1881/view.php?_did=1883

You have to read between the lines, when they say

"Passport Passport for tourism or sports can only be renewed temporarily."

It means that unless you have long term visa or permission to stay, you can only get a 2 year.

You will also need a C of R, unless they are known to accept yellow books.

"Work permit (Work permit) or certificate of residence issued by the embassy Or issued by the government"

13 hours ago, StevieAus said:

No problem you reckon, try reading your insurance policy if you have one.

Ours clearly state that the driver is required to have a current driver’s licence and also state words to the effect that there is no coverage in the event of an accident if the driver is under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

The above is true for every 1st class policy I've ever had here.

An expired license is not a valid license its a courtesy of DLT to give a one year grace period for renewal.

If someone on an expired license or driving drunk/on drugs gets into an accident causing a very large amount of property damage and/or major injuries or death you can be 100% sure the insurance company lawyers will look at all the details for a way get out of paying up. What would a Farang's chances be taking on a large insurance company and their team of lawyers in a Thai court?

The OP is smart to let his wife drive for the time being.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, KIWILEE said:

I just renewed my 5yr licence last week in Chiang Mai with a Marriage visa extension "under consideration" stamp in my passport - no problems.

I did the same BUT the OP is changing from 2yr to 5yr, in which case he will need a;

1yr visa/extension,

letter of resentence (free for some) or yellow book depending on LTO ,

medical cert about 100-200 baht, you WILL need this changing from 2yr to 5yr but not after.

copy of PP with visa page, and original.

old license, and my LTO also wanted a photo.

I may also add there is/was ?  an amnesty till end of OCT i would get the missus to give them a call to check on this. 

Edited by brianthainess
add info

21 hours ago, Bigz said:

Yeah, someone posted here on TV that his licence was expired for 2 weeks and when the cops stopped him in Bangkok they fined him and confiscated his licence. That part made me worry. I live in village and anyone can drive without a licence here but quite often when I go to town in the morning and afternoon rush hours there are police road blocks checking the licence. 

Cops seem to be out in force to collect money, i got stopped, Ok my road tax had expired in May with all the lockdowns and having to get my extension i simply forgot, but they wanted 2 fines one of 500b and one 300b 800 Baht!!! was able to get the missus on the phone to find out <deleted> i heard her repeating to the Cop, covid, covid, I ended up only paying 500b but still don't know for what. I think they were doing me for no insurance which is still valid, as my missus told me after '' you falang''.                                translation please

IMG_1601.JPG.7cb388de9f7512a0bd8f6822624c53b1.JPG

Edited by brianthainess
add photo
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Clearly you're not paying attention as I said everyone is not married, I did not say the OP was not married. 

You are certainly welcome to do whatever you like, but it seems odd to me that in a county that mandates you have insurance to drive,  and has no penalty for renewing an expired license would allow insurance companies to void insurance when the insured's license expires. If your insurance is voided for the period your license is expired, they would have to refund your premiums until it's renewed, yet they do not.

Another common myth is that your insurance is voided if you're driving drunk, or breaking some other law.

If you are drunk or driving an un-taxed vehicle, or driving without a licence (or an expired licence) insurance ‘can’ invoke any such clause omitting cover under such circumstances if the contract states so usually under the provision that 'a valid driving licence is required.

In the UK all of the above reasons would be reasons for an insurance company not to provide cover, even down to tires being illegal (less than minimum tread wear). 

Thailand has not yet caught up and a lot ’slips through the gaps’ and insurance operates very ‘kindly’. I wouldn’t be taking my chances because its just a matter of time before an insurance company asked for a licence and if your licence is out of date they can claim you were on the road illegally, then only the 3rd party part of your insurance is effective.

If you are drunk and have an accident your insurance company is only required to honour 3rd party cover for any damages you cause. 

Negligence, Gross Negligence and intentional conduct come into the fray when breaking the law, the degree of law breaking thus comes into effect when an insurance company considers cover. 

While in Thailand, insurance companies usually ‘pay out’ for everything, in some circumstances they don’t have to if they were willing to risk the negative publicity, there is also an issue with burden of proof on the insurance company to avoid a pay out - sometimes the lawbreaking is too difficult to prove. 

If you believe this is a myth - thats fine, you are only compromising yourself on a flawed ‘belief' 

55 minutes ago, brianthainess said:
1 hour ago, KeeTua said:

An expired license is not a valid license its a courtesy of DLT to give a one year grace period for renewal.

Not sure if that applies to a 2yr license.

I thought I'd read the same and at first was going to agree with you but gave I it a quick check on the DLT site.

Of course experiences can vary depending on which office one uses.

IN CASE OF FOREIGNER RENEW THAI DRIVING LICENCE [BY YOURSELF]
FROM TWO-YEAR (DRIVING LICENCE) TO FIVE-YEARS DRIVING LICENCE

REMARK :

1 IN CASE OF DRIVING LICENCE EXPIRED MORE THAN 1 YEAR
    - TAKE A THEORY TEST
    2 IN CASE OF DRIVING LICENCE EXPIRED MORE THAN 3 YEARS
    - TAKE A THEORY TEST AND PRACTICAL TEST

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/two-year-license/

On 9/20/2020 at 2:00 PM, swissbie said:

Most DLT's will not renew an expired temporary (2 years) licence. The possibility of renewing the licence up to one year after the expiry date is only for the permanent (5 years) licence.

That's scary. I hope you're not right. Still waiting for my stamp..

6 minutes ago, Bigz said:
On 9/20/2020 at 2:00 PM, swissbie said:

Most DLT's will not renew an expired temporary (2 years) licence. The possibility of renewing the licence up to one year after the expiry date is only for the permanent (5 years) licence.

That's scary. I hope you're not right. Still waiting for my stamp..

It doesn’t really matter that much - the documentation required to renew to a 5 year licence, or obtain a new 2 year license is the same (except for medial cert), the process is also the same. The only real difference is the duration of license given. 

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

If you are drunk or driving an un-taxed vehicle, or driving without a licence (or an expired licence) insurance ‘can’ invoke any such clause omitting cover under such circumstances if the contract states so usually under the provision that 'a valid driving licence is required.

In the UK all of the above reasons would be reasons for an insurance company not to provide cover, even down to tires being illegal (less than minimum tread wear). 

Thailand has not yet caught up and a lot ’slips through the gaps’ and insurance operates very ‘kindly’. I wouldn’t be taking my chances because its just a matter of time before an insurance company asked for a licence and if your licence is out of date they can claim you were on the road illegally, then only the 3rd party part of your insurance is effective.

If you are drunk and have an accident your insurance company is only required to honour 3rd party cover for any damages you cause. 

Negligence, Gross Negligence and intentional conduct come into the fray when breaking the law, the degree of law breaking thus comes into effect when an insurance company considers cover. 

While in Thailand, insurance companies usually ‘pay out’ for everything, in some circumstances they don’t have to if they were willing to risk the negative publicity, there is also an issue with burden of proof on the insurance company to avoid a pay out - sometimes the lawbreaking is too difficult to prove. 

If you believe this is a myth - thats fine, you are only compromising yourself on a flawed ‘belief' 

You are absolutely right. Thailand's insurers hasn't caught up yet with the west in efficiently milking their customers and public but this is only a matter of time. Last year a tuktuk truck (not the city type but the rural small truck type) reversed into my car smashing my rear lights and dented the back of the car. The inspector from the insurance company asked for the licences of us involved. He took photos of mine, the tuktuk driver didn't have one. Nevertheless the insurer paid for my repairs (no loss of no claim bonus) the tuktuk driver only had to pay my excess of 5k thb. In Europe the driver at fault without licence would have to pay the entire repair bill. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It doesn’t really matter that much - the documentation required to renew to a 5 year licence, or obtain a new 2 year license is the same (except for medial cert), the process is also the same. The only real difference is the duration of license given. 

Yeah but I still prefer to get a 5 years licence instead of 2. I hate them government bureaucrats and their offices and queues. Seeing them at every 5 years sounds much better than every second. Anyway will see when I get my stamp. The woman at the office told me I'll get the 5 years licence once I have the annual stamp. She better keep to her word.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Oh really!

That's the best you could come up with in two days? In any event, it's not real clear what was denied. It could have been the assessor just refused to deal with someone that was drunk. In Thailand they pay even if you call a month after the accident. 

If you're right, you should be able to peruse your policy and come up with something better than that, don't you think? If insurance companies did not have to pay when someone is breaking the law, they would almost never pay, as in most any accident at least one party has broken the law.

Assuming the pole and tree were damaged, do you think the insurance company will refuse to pay for them?

I'm willing to concede that there may be some exceptions in some policies that don't pay under certain circumstances, but by and large, they have to pay. If what you're saying is true, if a drunk driver runs a red light and mows down five pedestrians in the crosswalk, they would not have to pay. Actually, anyone speeding would not be covered, which is most everyone.

If that article proves something to you, you're likely a Trump supporter...

7 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

That's the best you could come up with in two days? In any event, it's not real clear what was denied. It could have been the assessor just refused to deal with someone that was drunk. In Thailand they pay even if you call a month after the accident. 

If you're right, you should be able to peruse your policy and come up with something better than that, don't you think? If insurance companies did not have to pay when someone is breaking the law, they would almost never pay, as in most any accident at least one party has broken the law.

Assuming the pole and tree were damaged, do you think the insurance company will refuse to pay for them?

I'm willing to concede that there may be some exceptions in some policies that don't pay under certain circumstances, but by and large, they have to pay. If what you're saying is true, if a drunk driver runs a red light and mows down five pedestrians in the crosswalk, they would not have to pay. Actually, anyone speeding would not be covered, which is most everyone.

If that article proves something to you, you're likely a Trump supporter...

Your last comment about trump highlights a degree of irrationality - US politics or who supports what party is of no relevance to this topic in any way or form - that you have mentioned such makes you appear somewhat ‘bonkers’ !!!

Regarding insurance cover: 

IF You are driving while drunk or illegally or breaking the law your insurance is still obliged to pay for any damages you cause up to the liability limits of your policy. 

For costs beyond the liability limits of your policy you can be charged / sued directly.

Additionally, any insurance carrier can charge / sue you directly to recover their costs paid to third parties as a result of illegal behaviour. 

... In short. If drunk or person proven to be driving illegally has an accident their insurance can wiggle out of damages to your their vehicle and will pay for third party damage and sue you later - If they so choose. 

-----

Assuming your insurance will cover you without condition is foolish, and while it is common practice in Thailand the tides are changing as insurance companies become privy to the fact that they don’t have to always pay up and the public are also slowly learning to accept this. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Your last comment about trump highlights a degree of irrationality - US politics or who supports what party is of no relevance to this topic in any way or form - that you have mentioned such makes you appear somewhat ‘bonkers’ !!!

IF You are driving while drunk or illegally or breaking the law your insurance is still obliged to pay for any damages you cause up to the liability limits of your policy. 

For costs beyond the liability limits of your policy you can be charged / sued directly.

Additionally, any insurance carrier can charge / sue you directly to recover their costs paid to third parties as a result of illegal behaviour. 

... In short. If drunk or person proven to be driving illegally has an accident their insurance can wiggle out of damages to your their vehicle and will pay for third party damage and sue you later - If they so choose. 

-----

Assuming your insurance will cover you without condition is foolish, and while it is common practice in Thailand the tides are changing as insurance companies become privy to the fact that they don’t have to always pay up and the public are also slowly learning to accept this. 

Thanks, you saved me the bother. Trump supporter! What a laugh.

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It was a joke, guess it went over your head.

Thank you, we agree.

Yes, with the key phrase being  "can be". But it's really not the reality. They can't get blood from a turnip, and even if they try, when,it goes to court, the insurance company almost always loses. 

Yes, with the key phrase being "...if they so choose..."  Again, were this the reality, and you were speeding and involved in an accident they would never pay, yet they most always do.

-----

I never said insurance would cover anyone without condition, you made that up. You should apologize, but I'm sure you wont. I said they will pay out in the event one is driving on an expired license. I went on to say they would pay out in the event you are breaking the law. You seem to agree this is true, yet you go on to argue that they may not pay for your own damages and may go after you for damages but also seem to agree they they generally will not.

I agree it's better to renew your license on time, but to get nutted up about your insurance not paying out if you drive on an expired license is silly. Were they DLT offices not closed for a few months? Were all the peoples license that expired during that time driving without insurance? I think not. 

For a renewal in Bangkok at Bang Chak, do you need to make an appointment now? If so, separate appointments for auto and motorcycle?

For prior issuance and renewals I just walked in and queued, but I heard someone mention recently that they had to make an appointment.

3 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

For a renewal in Bangkok at Bang Chak, do you need to make an appointment now? If so, separate appointments for auto and motorcycle?

For prior issuance and renewals I just walked in and queued, but I heard someone mention recently that they had to make an appointment.

You make an appointment.  They allow around 6 foreign appointments each day.  I made mine at the end of August (5 year renewal) and my appointment is for 24 December.

• Thanks 1

On 9/22/2020 at 4:45 PM, Yellowtail said:

It was a joke, guess it went over your head.

Totally missed the joke..... emoticons man.. use emoticons when making a joke !!! :1zgarz5:

I never said insurance would cover anyone without condition, you made that up. You should apologize, but I'm sure you wont.

Apologies for misunderstanding your implication.

I said they will pay out in the event one is driving on an expired license. I went on to say they would pay out in the event you are breaking the law. You seem to agree this is true, yet you go on to argue that they may not pay for your own damages and may go after you for damages but also seem to agree they they generally will not.

I would never drive in the UK on an expired licence. For the very same reasons I would not drive here in Thailand on an expired license. It's only a matter of time until the Insurance companies in Thailand catch up with the inflexibility of their western counterparts. 

I agree it's better to renew your license on time, but to get nutted up about your insurance not paying out if you drive on an expired license is silly.

I wouldn’t take the chance. Never give anyone the opportunity for things not to work in your favour. In this case, never give insurance the opportunity to ‘wiggle out’ of paying in the event of an accident. 

I don’t take those chances because they are completely unnecessary. 

Were they DLT offices not closed for a few months? Were all the peoples license that expired during that time driving without insurance? I think not. 

Announcements were made allowing for extensions during Covid-19 office closures. 

9 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:
9 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

You make an appointment.  They allow around 6 foreign appointments each day.  I made mine at the end of August (5 year renewal) and my appointment is for 24 December.

Its been reported (on this forum) that foreigners who have made an appointment but didn’t want to wait that long had simply turned up and been processed. 

If you don’t mind doing things ‘in Thai’ then it's simple enough to go through the process. 

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Totally missed the joke..... emoticons man.. use emoticons when making a joke !!! :1zgarz5:

Apologies for misunderstanding your implication.

I would never drive in the UK on an expired licence. For the very same reasons I would not drive here in Thailand on an expired license. It's only a matter of time until the Insurance companies in Thailand catch up with the inflexibility of their western counterparts. 

I wouldn’t take the chance. Never give anyone the opportunity for things not to work in your favour. In this case, never give insurance the opportunity to ‘wiggle out’ of paying in the event of an accident. 

I don’t take those chances because they are completely unnecessary. 

Announcements were made allowing for extensions during Covid-19 office closures. 

I would liken emoticons to laugh track, if the audience needs to be prompted to laugh, it's not funny.

Thank you