Moving from Bangkok to Chiang Mai.

I decided to move back to Chiang Mai where I used to live. I always had someone to help for moving from city to city, but unfortunately no help at this time (my girlfriend hates me, because I will no longer pay for everything) I own no car, instead "4 luggage and a small scooter".
My question is: can I rent a pick up truck in Bangkok and take all belonging at once. I would like to return the rental in Chiang Mai, if this is something possible in Thailand (I've never rented any car in Thailand). A pick up truck with driver will be my next choice, if available. And the cost if anyone has done this. thanks.

Edited by The Theory
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have you considered the train. Find a train leaving at a suitable time (not the diesel railcar sprinter type) Ask if they will accept the scooter minus fuel. Get to Hualamphong Station in time hand ov

What a load BS. I have lived here 7 1/2 years. Yes March /April gets bad but where I live in chiang Mai near Hang Dong no big issues. I have 2 x 2.5pm monitors running in house.

Ship it all by train and take the midnight express to CM. 

Get ahold of one of the Many International car rental agencies, they may be able to assist you with this.  I know that the local rental agencies will not. Hertz, Avis, and the others may.  You can try booking online with one of them and see if it gives you the option for one way with return in Chiang Mai at the airport.

Edited by ThailandRyan

You should be able to rent a pickup, the bigger firms have returns priced in. The other option is a bus for yourself and the luggage, and post the scooter. Not sure how much Thai Post would charge, from memory it was 1000 baht for postage from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You should be able to rent a pickup, the bigger firms have returns priced in. The other option is a bus for yourself and the luggage, and post the scooter. Not sure how much Thai Post would charge, from memory it was 1000 baht for postage from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai.

I did it once by post office from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, costs about 1400. If I have no other choice, I will send luggage by post office as well.

Edited by The Theory
  • Like 1

did you consider that next burning season is coming soon (nov/dec/jan)? do you plan on air purifier setup & lock down(unable to breathe outdoor) for 6 months of the year?

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
12 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Send your stuff by mail and ride the scooter to Chiang Mai

If I send stuff by mail I rather to send the scooter as well. I use the scooter locally only. Not any long distance since it's not really made for that. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, worldfun said:

did you consider that next burning season is coming soon (nov/dec/jan)? do you plan on air purifier setup & lock down(unable to breathe outdoor) for 6 months of the year?

I moved out of Chiang Mai in 2019. I I understand what you mean. 

• Thanks 1

Sorry that things didn't work out between you.The train thing sounds the least stressful option to me.Might even give you bit of clarity,to think things over whilst enjoying some views at a slower pace.Anyways i hope things wrk out for you one way or another.

• Like 2