Moving from Bangkok to Chiang Mai.

The Theory

I decided to move back to Chiang Mai where I used to live. I always had someone to help for moving from city to city, but unfortunately no help at this time (my girlfriend hates me, because I will no longer pay for everything) I own no car, instead "4 luggage and a small scooter".
My question is: can I rent a pick up truck in Bangkok and take all belonging at once. I would like to return the rental in Chiang Mai, if this is something possible in Thailand (I've never rented any car in Thailand). A pick up truck with driver will be my next choice, if available. And the cost if anyone has done this. thanks.

Edited by The Theory

Get ahold of one of the Many International car rental agencies, they may be able to assist you with this.  I know that the local rental agencies will not. Hertz, Avis, and the others may.  You can try booking online with one of them and see if it gives you the option for one way with return in Chiang Mai at the airport.

Edited by ThailandRyan

You should be able to rent a pickup, the bigger firms have returns priced in. The other option is a bus for yourself and the luggage, and post the scooter. Not sure how much Thai Post would charge, from memory it was 1000 baht for postage from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You should be able to rent a pickup, the bigger firms have returns priced in. The other option is a bus for yourself and the luggage, and post the scooter. Not sure how much Thai Post would charge, from memory it was 1000 baht for postage from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai.

I did it once by post office from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, costs about 1400. If I have no other choice, I will send luggage by post office as well.

Edited by The Theory
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, worldfun said:

did you consider that next burning season is coming soon (nov/dec/jan)? do you plan on air purifier setup & lock down(unable to breathe outdoor) for 6 months of the year?

I moved out of Chiang Mai in 2019. I I understand what you mean. 

• Thanks 1

Sorry that things didn't work out between you.The train thing sounds the least stressful option to me.Might even give you bit of clarity,to think things over whilst enjoying some views at a slower pace.Anyways i hope things wrk out for you one way or another.

• Like 2

Take a look at Chiang Mai Removals. Their trucks take things to Bangkok and you might pick up a fair deal with a truck coming back toward Chiang Mai. No muss no fuss ... google their website.

Edited by wwest5829
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

What a load BS. I have lived here 7 1/2 years. Yes March /April gets bad but where I live in chiang Mai near Hang Dong no big issues. I have 2 x 2.5pm monitors running in house.

yeah monitors in the house is really going to help ????
it seems you didn't live here or maybe you are a smoker. regardless worst air in the world for last 2 consecutive years & indoor is only marginally better than outdoor unless using purifiers! I wish you get long healthy life but odds are against it ????

Do you have a regular, trusted meter taxi guy that you use? Check with him. He will have a relative with a pick-up. Some of the older guys have informal consortiums that they refer different jobs to.

For instance if your regular taxi is not available for the trip to the airport, he has a fellow he works with to fill in. Once you find a good taxi driver, keep his card for future reference. Good luck. Enjoy.

49 minutes ago, worldfun said:

it seems you didn't live here or maybe you are a smoker. regardless worst air in the world for last 2 consecutive years & indoor is only marginally better than outdoor unless using purifiers! I wish you get long healthy life but odds are against it ????

Actually it is maybe starting in late Jan or in February and goes to about April/May. Some years are worse than others.

The OP can rent a truck from one of the major car companies, but it looks as if a draw back is if he can fit his scooter into the back of a 4 door truck bed. They are a bit smaller for space than a 2 door but can be done. 

2 hours ago, worldfun said:

Just stating the facts at my house. If you could read and comprehend you would see my post says I have lived here 7 1/2 years.  Maybe a bit hard for you to understand. And I don't smoke. Monitors don't help the conditions but show me the conditions and I can act on that,. If you think you know everything good for you. Yet another self proclaimed TVF expert.

Edited by Dazinoz
  • Like 1

most bus companies offer bus station to bus station parcel / package service. i have put a scooter on the train, udon to bkk, but i was on the train also, that works ok, cost around 1000B bike plus my fare. most i have ridden on a scooter in a day is 666km. not for the feint hearted, or feint arsed either. but if you've not seen the cities in between BKK and CM, do a trip over 2,3 or 4 days. 

8 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Take a look at Chiang Mai Removals. Their trucks take things to Bangkok and you might pick up a fair deal with a truck coming back toward Chiang Mai. No muss no fuss ... google their website.

yeah forgot that option, lot's of trucks go to BKK markets loaded from various cities and provinces. i got one from Ubon to Chantaburi, full of durian from Chantaburi, but empty going back.... apart from when full of my possessions when i moved to Chantaburi. but i don't think you'll have enough stuff to move to make that worthwhile TBH.

20 kg is about 400 thb with bulk Thai Post..the biggest limitation is that it has a max insurance of 1000.  As of two years ago, when I left CM, and have not returned. It's a shame what happened, even before the line for food handouts was 2 km.  Even not counting places dominated by Africans, it is one of the most poorly run municipalities this side of Balmer.  Traces of blood on my hanky was a wake-up call.  But, if you want to hunt and eat rats...doable.