Jump to content

New UK lockdown likely sooner rather than later, ex-advisor warns


Recommended Posts

New UK lockdown likely sooner rather than later, ex-advisor warns

By David Milliken

 

2020-09-19T074037Z_1_LYNXNPEG8I0AS_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BRITAIN-TEST.JPG

FILE PHOTO: People queue outside a test centre, following an outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), in Southend-on-sea, Britain September 17, 2020. REUTERS/John Sibley/File Photo

 

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain is likely to need to reintroduce some national coronavirus lockdown measures sooner rather than later, a leading epidemiologist and former senior government health advisor said on Saturday.

 

Neil Ferguson, a professor of epidemiology at London's Imperial College, told the BBC the country was facing a "perfect storm" of rising infections as people return to work and school.

 

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Friday that he did not want another national lockdown but that new restrictions may be needed because the country was facing an "inevitable" second wave of COVID-19.

 

"I think some additional measures are likely to be needed sooner rather than later," Ferguson said.

 

Ministers were on Friday reported to be considering a second national lockdown after new COVID-19 cases almost doubled to 6,000 per day, hospital admissions rose and infection rates soared across parts of northern England and London.

 

"Right now we're at about the levels of infection we were seeing in this country in late February, and if we leave it another two to four weeks we'll be back at levels we were seeing more back in mid-March, and that's going to - or could - cause deaths," Ferguson said.

 

Britain has suffered Europe's highest death toll from COVID-19, with more than 41,000 deaths on the government's preferred measure.

 

The sharp increase in infections has not yet led to a similar rise in new fatalities - in part because cases have been concentrated among younger people - but hospital admissions are now beginning to rise.

 

STRICTER LONDON MEASURES 'LIKELY'

 

Ferguson served on the government's main scientific advisory board until May, when he stepped down after breaking lockdown rules himself.

 

He said future lockdown restrictions did not need to be as strict as those introduced in March to be effective in slowing the renewed spread of the disease.

 

More than 10 million people in parts of northern and central England are already under some form of lockdown restriction, such as a ban on inviting friends or family to their homes, or visiting pubs and restaurants after 10 p.m.

 

London's mayor, Sadiq Khan, said on Friday that tighter lockdown measures were becoming "increasingly likely" for Britain's capital.

 

Britain's capacity to test for coronavirus infections has also come under strain since schools in England reopened this month, with many people reporting that tests were unavailable or only possible at locations hundreds of miles away.

 

"We have a perfect storm right now, of people - as they have been told to do - getting back to normal, schools reopening, a surge in cases," Ferguson said.

 

Some local politicians have also expressed concern about whether businesses are collecting the details needed to track new infections.

 

Official figures on Friday showed that fewer than a third of people said businesses such as pubs and hairdressers always collected their contact details as legally required to, and a quarter reported never being asked for their details.

 

(Reporting by David Milliken; Editing by David Clarke and Alex Richardson)

 

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-09-19
 
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Don't worry the virus will be patiently waiting when you come back outside.

Don´t worry, as of yesterday you just had to worry about over 47 000 new cases and over 900 more deaths. That´s much more in 1 day than Thailand had in total.

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The lockdown most noticeable is the one on sharing information with the public.  Gone are the daily briefings and when pushed government spokes people like Hancock just duck and dive the difficult questions.  They are floundering or they are deceiving the public.  Promising that the answers are coming but actually they never do.

 

I know they are politicians so never play a straight bat, but surely now is the time to be honest with people, even if it is to just say that they are clueless how to deal with this pandemic.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The arch doom-monger Ferguson up to his tricks again. His previous predictions have been wrong by a factor of thousands, why would anyone take any notice of a single word he says? The man should have some humility and get back in his box.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

The lockdown most noticeable is the one on sharing information with the public.  Gone are the daily briefings and when pushed government spokes people like Hancock just duck and dive the difficult questions.  They are floundering or they are deceiving the public.  Promising that the answers are coming but actually they never do.

 

I know they are politicians so never play a straight bat, but surely now is the time to be honest with people, even if it is to just say that they are clueless how to deal with this pandemic.  

politicians and honesty, now there's a concept we'll never see even when it means the deaths of thousands..

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Yet people can still travel...you can even get a dingy over from France without so much as a passport...start from the bottom and work upwards....

 

Patelships.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, evadgib said:

As soon as I saw Neil Ferguson and the BBC I knew the article could be ignored. 

 Ah, I see the old "content not poster" mantra you are so fond of doesn't suit when you don't care for the poster!

 

You seem to have missed the news that large parts of the UK are now in local lockdown or curfew.

 

New lockdown rules for Lancashire, Merseyside, North West and North East, as local restrictions tighten

 

Boris Johnson unveils £10,000 fines for breaking self-isolation rules but people on low incomes will be paid £500 to stay indoors in strict new restrictions - as infections soar and battle rages among Ministers over second lockdown

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, roquefort said:

The arch doom-monger Ferguson up to his tricks again. His previous predictions have been wrong by a factor of thousands, why would anyone take any notice of a single word he says? The man should have some humility and get back in his box.

 See my post above.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 7by7 said:

 Ah, I see the old "content not poster" mantra you are so fond of doesn't suit when you don't care for the poster!

 

You seem to have missed the news that large parts of the UK are now in local lockdown or curfew.

 

New lockdown rules for Lancashire, Merseyside, North West and North East, as local restrictions tighten

 

Boris Johnson unveils £10,000 fines for breaking self-isolation rules but people on low incomes will be paid £500 to stay indoors in strict new restrictions - as infections soar and battle rages among Ministers over second lockdown

Predictable twist 49. My bold needs no explanation therefore none is forthcoming.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...