Ex-PM Thaksin asks Thai people if they are better off 14 years since the putsch

rooster59

8 hours ago, impulse said:

The difference being that he was one guy and could only steal so much.  The problem today is that there's a thousand guys each stealing all they can.   Because there's nobody controlling the trough and "turning against corruptions he can't take part of".  So it's a free-for-all.

Actually, not one guy. There was his whole extended family; plus close associates; plus the hangers on and cronies; plus the lowly party workers and civil servants etc etc. All needed to grease the wheels of the kleptocracy.

But your're right - he was the main man took the lion's share.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jerolamo said:

If you don't see any difference, it is because you are looking only your own situation.

Thai people, and most probably the poor ones, explain me how much things was changed when Taksin came on power.

They are talking about his fight against drug (they killed many dealers of drug) and child crime and slaves.

Before him, child was scary to go at school. When they heard a mini van, they threw themselves into the gutter to hide for fear that they would be removed. There was a lot of child abduction history before Taksin.

He also construct a social national assistance for people that never exist before. Now people seek go to hospital and just show there ID card.

You can not deny the history, but you can stay stupid to know nothing, but it is never good for yourself.

Thaksin's war on drugs, and the summary executions of many without trial who were never proved connected to the drug trade, is well documented.

But please confirm the links to the reports on Thaksin's crusades to prevent child abduction and slavery as this seems to be not so well documented.

Thanks in advance. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Caldera said:

Spot on. Most Thais would be much better off today and the country wouldn't have lost 14 years of development. Saddening.

Maybe, maybe not.

The PTP regime were trying to borrow 2.2 trillion ThB as a loan; which they intended to spend off book, out of parliamentary scrutiny and without the usual checks and balances (Yingluck said this was to ensure they could act swiftly and urged people to "just tust us" 555!).

Had they succeeded in securing this loan to themselves, and in bringing the big boss back totally whitewashed, how much do you think would have mysteriously been unaccounted for. The book keeping on the Rice Scheme gives a clue at likely transparency!

Now, how long would a public debt like that take to pay?

Potentially, Thailand would've been milked dry, for very little result, and bankrupted. Only the Shin wealth would have grown in more mega. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:
3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

They both pointed at Thaksin to prevent people looking too closely at their own dirty laundry. Deflections like this are not a uniquely Thai political trait.

On the other hand crooks know best what to look for in other crooks. At least I am happy they helped to expose Thaksin.

But is your happiness not tempered just a wee bit by the fact that they really didn't do anything to help fight endemic corruption after they 'exposed' Thaksin's brand of it?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And still Sonthi exposed lots of Thaksin's activities - for whatever reason. He became the anti-Thaksin leader people were looking for. In later years Suthep had a similar role. Suthep is far away from a good guy. But he also exposes Thaksin's crimes. The crimes can be fact checked, they happened.

Doesn't change the fact that he was doing it for revenge. Do you for a minute believe that he would have exposed Thaksin if Thaksin had sorted out his money troubles? 

I never said Thaksin did not commit crimes. But that does not make Sonthi(een) a saint. He is still a self serving tw-at and will always be. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Doesn't change the fact that he was doing it for revenge. Do you for a minute believe that he would have exposed Thaksin if Thaksin had sorted out his money troubles? 

I never said Thaksin did not commit crimes. But that does not make Sonthi(een) a saint. He is still a self serving tw-at and will always be. 

Just in general: If one gangster exposes the crimes of another gangster do you think that is good news for society or bad news? Obviously it would be better if the two gangsters are prosecuted. But better one than none.

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Just in general: If one gangster exposes the crimes of another gangster do you think that is good news for society or bad news? Obviously it would be better if the two gangsters are prosecuted. But better one than none.

I can't argue with that.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Thaksin's war on drugs, and the summary executions of many without trial who were never proved connected to the drug trade, is well documented.

But please confirm the links to the reports on Thaksin's crusades to prevent child abduction and slavery as this seems to be not so well documented.

Thanks in advance. 

There was a certain speech from the most revered person in the land about this and not hard to work out why it was done. 

Overwhelmingly popular at the time with the Thai public and it was very successful at stemming the flow of yaba in particular into poor communities, where use of the drug was very destructive.

Important also to note that all the official studies condemning the war on drugs came from the military administration following the coup in 2005, so should be regarded with a certain scepticism. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Problem was it was one jilted politicising the country's highest institution to militantly remove an elected administration because his mate at KTB bank was fired. A mate that forgave over a billion Baht of personal debt and I am sure many more billions of non-performing loans related to the media company. The media company which was latterly used to discredit the government administration that started looking into all this shenanigans.

In the process costing the country billions, untold damage to reputation and even human lives during a border conflict with Cambodia. 

To label Sonthi's crusade as an expose fails to understand what it was really all about. It fails to capture the utter insanity and mentality of the Yellow Shirt leaders. 

Just look at what Sonthi up to now... it is the same unfounded lies and the same conspiracy theory nonsense that was lapped up by Yellow idiots back in 2005. 

Straight out of Goebbels playbook. 

Edited by Mr Meeseeks
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Problem was it was one jilted politicising the country's highest institution to militantly remove an elected administration because his mate at KTB bank was fired. A mate that forgave over a billion Baht of personal debt and I am sure many more billions of non-performing loans related to the media company. The media company which was latterly used to discredit the government administration that started looking into all this shenanigans.

In the process costing the country billions, untold damage to reputation and even human lives during a border conflict with Cambodia. 

To label Sonthi's crusade as an expose fails to understand what it was really all about. It fails to capture the utter insanity and mentality of the Yellow Shirt leaders. 

Just look at what Sonthi up to now... it is the same unfounded lies and the same conspiracy theory nonsense that was lapped up by Yellow idiots back in 2005. 

Straight out of Goebbels playbook. 

I have to admit I don't know what Sonthi is up to now. And I think it doesn't really matter because nobody is interested in him anymore. People followed Sonthi when he mobilized against Thaksin because they could see in the news everyday what Thaksin was up to. I.e. Thailand under Thaksin giving Myanmar a big loan so that they could spend that money on a satellite from Thaksin's company. Or Thaksin selling big and not paying any taxes. People were anyhow upset about Thaksin. Sonthi was just the guy who came out at that time and he focused that anger.

The yellow shirts basically don't exist anymore because they succeeded in removing Thaksin and the rest of what they wanted was nothing lots of people want to support.

I wonder how Thaksin will try to involve himself in the current demonstration. Will he again pretend that he only wants democracy? Will anybody except the hardcore red-shirts listen? Let's see.

On 9/19/2020 at 7:11 AM, anchadian said:
19.25 Thanathorn, former leader of the Future Forward party, arrived at the protest site and broadcast his visit on the Progressive movement Facebook Page. He said all problems begin in September 14 years ago.

Actually, the problems had their start in the late 1950s - 

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have to admit I don't know what Sonthi is up to now. And I think it doesn't really matter because nobody is interested in him anymore. People followed Sonthi when he mobilized against Thaksin because they could see in the news everyday what Thaksin was up to. I.e. Thailand under Thaksin giving Myanmar a big loan so that they could spend that money on a satellite from Thaksin's company. Or Thaksin selling big and not paying any taxes. People were anyhow upset about Thaksin. Sonthi was just the guy who came out at that time and he focused that anger.

The yellow shirts basically don't exist anymore because they succeeded in removing Thaksin and the rest of what they wanted was nothing lots of people want to support.

I wonder how Thaksin will try to involve himself in the current demonstration. Will he again pretend that he only wants democracy? Will anybody except the hardcore red-shirts listen? Let's see.

I was pi-ssed off when I saw his press release the other day. Riding on the students backs. Why can't he just shut the eff up and get on with his life. His speaking out is only giving more ammo to the royalist crowd (yellow shirts) and conspiracy theorists. Let the younger generation fight for their future. 

BTW, I think you will find that many of the so called "redshirts" are not out to show support of Thaksin, or because they believe he is some kind of saviour, but rather because they are suffering as a result of the poor economy and seeing vast amounts of money being wasted on unnecessary stuff, rather than the people.  And do not think that they are so easily misled. Admittedly, Thaksin gave the people of the north east their voice, which is one of the few good things that happened under his watch, but he is no longer in control - if he ever was.       

On 9/20/2020 at 10:13 AM, jonclark said:

For the same reason you do I guess; to further your agenda and political views.

Btw Taksin is not wanted by Interpol or others. His 'crimes' such as they are, are limited to Thailand. Although I notice that Prayut has jumped on Taksins populist bandwagon to shore up support for himself.

This man owned Man City football club and passed the EPL fit and proper assesment prior to his takeover. Being wanted by Interpol is an instant fail.

And do you recall why he was forced to sell manchester City FC ?

On 9/19/2020 at 3:53 PM, worgeordie said:

In the beginning Thaksin did a lot of good for Thai people, woke up the Civil service

so you could get things done in a day,not a week,introduce free health service for Thais

and Farangs,really took action against drug dealers,(killing them maybe went too far),

BUT...then he realised rolling out populist policies  for the poor,meant he did not have

to spend his own money to buy votes,and would always win elections,I am not sure

if he really wanted to really help the poor,or just a political ploy,but the poor of Isan

maybe felt for the first time someone cared about their plight.

Then ,as power does it corrupted him, like our friend in America I think he would

loved to become a dictator,that's what power does to you.

regards worgeordie

Sums it up about right. 

• Thanks 1

The Shinawatras and Abhisit were the best PMs that Thailand ever had. Those who attempt to change things for the poor are doomed. I knew that Abhisit was out when he made the statement about Thailand becoming a "welfare state" in the future. Income inequality MUST be preserved to keep the elite happy and keep the poor desperate.

11 hours ago, GarryP said:

Admittedly, Thaksin gave the people of the north east their voice, which is one of the few good things that happened under his watch, but he is no longer in control - if he ever was.

Now that one needs an explanation. Who was in charge? Did Thaksin follow the orders from someone? Or were the red-shirt independent from Thaksin? I am confused.

14 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Now that one needs an explanation. Who was in charge? Did Thaksin follow the orders from someone? Or were the red-shirt independent from Thaksin? I am confused.

Sure, my response:

"...Thaksin gave the people of the north east their voice, ..."  Sorry I don't buy that. The paymaster is a clever marketing strategist no doubt, he realised (not rocket science) if he cosied up close to the good Nth. East people they would vote for him. Nothing more / nothing less.

"...Did Thaksin follow the orders from someone? Or were the red-shirt independent from Thaksin?

Easy questions, the red shirts were his private army of enforcers and his intimation gang. But he did deliberately keep up an image of being separate, but he got caught on that several times, just one example, when he spoke on relay from abroad to a red rally about 'being there with you in the trenches' or some very similar words. There's many more examples...

• Like 1