Ex-PM Thaksin asks Thai people if they are better off 14 years since the putsch

rooster59

6 hours ago, faraday said:

A long rant about Covid, & not much else.

At least you're not labelling people 'uneducated fools' like you have a number of times.

except there wasn't much said about Covid19, except that if he had the same results as the government (and he would have), his detractors would blame it on him.

The point being is that nothing has changed. The same foreigners who hated him then, still hate him now, except they are fewer in number because alot of the old farts have died off in the  14 years since. 

And no need to label some uneducated fools as they do a good job of showing  it all by themselves.

Are you one of the foreigners who blamed him for all manner of sins, but now curse the current administration?

• Sad 1

They have barricades and tanks in Bangkok protecting key spot. BBC World News has a report blocked, that is likely on the protests. Does anyone know of any live coverage on the internet? Thai PBS is broadcasting pictures but all in Thai.

56 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:
1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Thailand was fully behind Thaksin until Sonthi came along mate. Sonthi caused it all after his mate Viroj was removed as CEO of KTB. 

KTB was Sonthi's personal piggy BANK, and he had billions of Baht worth of business and personal loans forgiven so he then went out to destroy Thaksin. 

In my 30 years I have never seen the country so united as after the 2001 elections. 

So you are talking nonsense. 

It seems you live somewhere up country possibly in a red-shirt village.

Thaksin was a problem for years before he did what he did more and more obvious and Sonthi had no problem gathering support to fight the corrupt criminal. People were frustrated with Thaksin and they were happy to have someone to lead them against Thaksin.

If you think I am talking nonsense then many you should get out of your village from time to time and visit the city with all those tax paying people.

Simply dripping with the Bangkok-based farang's sense of entitlement while comfortably couched in the simplistic, prehistoric but increasingly irrelevant terms of shirt colors. Whilst replete with the "you need to get out more" admonishment, it's ultimately as redundant as a happy-clapper.

Well done!

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Is there only black and white?

Nobody ever said that all the others are the opposite of Thaksin. They are not. But all of them together are not as bad a Thaksin.

It is all black and black being like a poison for the country, and no they are not better than Thaskin, but probably the visa versa if you line up the facts and the majority of the Thai's general feelings now.

A post in violation of fair use policy has been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed.

14 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

The rich obviously are, the poor not at all.

Cannot wait to read the drivel from the Thaksin haters, who, by the way, was fairly elected, as was his sister, who was also illegally deposed.

No problem if you still want to defend this criminal, up to you. When I came here in the eighties it was like paradise. To be honest I liked the guy for about three months and after a closer look I changed my mind. You will see that his power traject was based on the same old corruption and nepotism used by the others only he managed it better (the cover up). By the way... most politicians worldwide are criminals elected in office. My question to him and you, is he better of? Or better he still can he survive with his ill gained money? Looks like he and his family are just doing fine. He created all the mess in the first place. People like Berlusconi look like kindergarten students compared to this guy ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, Thaiwrath said:

Let's put it into perspective, which is the bigger crime ? Anything the elected PM Thaksin did, or.........................

Treason - the crime of betraying your country, for example by helping its enemies or by trying to remove its government using violence.

I rest my case, Prayut and his cronies should be removed, and incarcerated for a long spell.

The same goes for 80 % of all politician worldwide. But if you live long enough you will see them all day of old age anyway. ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

57 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

It is all black and black being like a poison for the country, and no they are not better than Thaskin, but probably the visa versa if you line up the facts and the majority of the Thai's general feelings now.

How do you know "the majority of the Thai's general feelings now"? Thousands of protesters are relevant but it's far away from visible how many people support their demands. And there are several demands. Some people might support A but not B.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Don't think it's much to do with that.

Thaksin represents the Lao speaking Thai people which is about 45% of the population.

They all vote for him and will always vote for him or his proxy.

Which is why the Army can never allow a free election.

That has nothing to do with why the army intercedes. There are various factions in Thailand wanting to follow completely different paths, the army is currently aligned with one of them.

Taksin did both some good and bad, however neither that nor the usual corruption was why he was overthrown.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Idiot question! Same than ask  after your most close person died: are you happy now? 

Nice to ask when really hard times! Maybe last year get different answer! 

Not really my brother in law gonna loose his job on the platform as ding-dong put up the taxes same time as oil prices are low

did 2 years ago they did not renew the contract and finish new-year. 

But many other examples like this. 

1 year ago he put house tax on all property starting this year. 

And what the thais get submarines. 

So the only thing that's stupid I do understand is something you need help to figure out. 

52 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How do you know "the majority of the Thai's general feelings now"? Thousands of protesters are relevant but it's far away from visible how many people support their demands. And there are several demands. Some people might support A but not B.

A is sort of attached to B. But not a good topic to go into to.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Today, however, they are hearing their parents complaining about losing their jobs, cars and houses and business failures, as well as the lack of a future, despite their good education, because Thais have been taken advantage of by global capitalism, because Thailand is lagging in several areas, said the former Prime Minister.

His question is very subjective.... the rich are richer, the poor are still poor, just as they were in his day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

The rich obviously are, the poor not at all.

Cannot wait to read the drivel from the Thaksin haters, who, by the way, was fairly elected, as was his sister, who was also illegally deposed.

Scratch, spit and whine as much as you like. I see no difference between Thaksin and the current bunch. It is all about power and both he and this lot were and are pursuing the same goals! I was never a Thaksin hater and the people liked him - their choice.

But you also have a very selective memory.

Thaksin was, at that time, methodically stifling criticism nationwide and towards the press. On the occasion of his come-uppance, he was already embroiled in scandal over his wealth, widespread abuse of purchased votes, numerous brown lunch boxes and his increasingly dictator-style views. Additionally, at the time, he was the caretaker PM with designs on seizing total power, not the legally elected PM you make him out to be.

His sister came to power on her brother's back, waving a very expensive Samsung Galaxy Notebook -  one for every student in the country, together with a rice scheme that would enrich both he and her, while actually distributing the cheapest Chinese junk rejects that would neither work properly, have the benefit of manufacturing support and failed at every step of the way in terms of production, delivery, transparency and a host of other problems which guaranteed that every single one would be consigned to the bin within 6 months.

The rice was stolen, purchased and sold multiple times on pretexts of being Thai rice - illegally imported from Thailand's surrounding neighbours while Mr. Exile and Ms. 'Thank you 3 times', were raking it in.

You may be right that he was marginally better than this lot, but it was a case of "out of the frying pan - into the fire".

Not quite how it was described in your post, sir!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

16 hours ago, rkidlad said:

I looked on True but they seem to be down. If only there were other ways to source news? Oh well, if it’s not on the Nation or mainstream Thai news channels, I guess I’ll never know about it 

It was on Sky news  the BBC and others