Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi

 

Let's see if someone can help me with this 🙂

 

I'm on an extension of stay based on marriage. It expires 26 January 2021. My father is on a non-oa that expires 10 January 2021. If I understood correctly he can get a 1y extension of stay based on being my father and that i'm on an extension of stay. Instead of needing the 800k in the bank. Is this correct?

 

And if it is then is it possible to do this because my extension expires after his?

 

If it wasn't for covid he would just fly home and get a new non-oa but i'm assuming there will still be the 14d mandatory quarantine in dec/jan.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be better to get a further one-year extension of your permission to stay before your father applied for his extension to piggy back off yours. It may be logistically tricky to achieve this.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, zib said:

I'm on an extension of stay based on marriage. It expires 26 January 2021. My father is on a non-oa that expires 10 January 2021. If I understood correctly he can get a 1y extension of stay based on being my father and that i'm on an extension of stay. Instead of needing the 800k in the bank. Is this correct?… 

 

Your marriage extension was granted under clause 2.18 of Police Order 327/2557.

 

Regrettably, your father does not qualify for a parent extension under clause 2.20:

Quote

2.20 In the case of being a family
member of an alien permitted a
temporary stay in the Kingdom under
Criteria 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.5, 2.6,
2.7, 2.10, 2.12, 2.13, 2.14, 2.15, 2.16,
2.17, 2.21, 2.22, 2.26, or 2.29 hereof

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, zib said:

 

If it wasn't for covid he would just fly home and get a new non-oa but i'm assuming there will still be the 14d mandatory quarantine in dec/jan.

You can't assume there will be easy travel and no quarantine in Dec/Jan. 

He should make plans to obtain extension to his non O-A. The focus should be on putting 800k baht 2 months prior to applying for 12 month extension. 

If things change early next year and some borders open and no quarantine requirements then he would have other options. The extension retirement can be his back up plan if nothing changes. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Note thatb in addition to the 800K, he will need to have health insurance from one of the designated Thai companies shown here.

https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

 

Fireign policies cannot be used for extension.

 

If he is 75 or under, the least expensive of these options is LMG with a high deductible. But note that this is essentially a "throw away" policy that will leave him effectively uninsured if he does nto have other insurance.

 

None of these companies  issue new policies to people over 75.   So if he is over 75 you may have no choice but to use an agent.

 

OR  you could change your basis of extension to retirement and then your father can extend based on being your father. This avoids the insurance requirement.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

When you apply FIRST for the continuation of your 1-year extension of stay (you can do this 30 days - some IOs even allow 45 days - before your current permission to stay expires on 26 Jan 2021), and do it this time for reason of RETIREMENT, your father will after you got that 1-year extension of stay then be able to 'piggyback' on your retirement extension.  Financially that would be the best option for the both of you.

When you decide against the above, your father would need a thai IO-approved health-insurance when applying for the 1-year extension of his Non Imm O -A Visa for reason of retirement.

Note that if your father is married to a Thai national, he could apply for his 1-year extension of stay for reason of marriage and that would void the health-insurance requirement.

When your father is over 75 years of age, and would apply for reason of retirement he will not be able to subscribe to that mandatory thai IO-approved health-insurance requirement as the thai insurers that issue it, do not accept any applications by Non Imm O-A Visa holders over 75 years of age.  So in case your father is over 75 years of age and would apply for reason of retirement I suggest you visit your local IO and explain that it is NOT possible to meet that requirement.  Your local IO (request to talk to the officer in charge) would and in that case have no option than to void that insurance-requirement for your father's retirement extension application.

>> I did PM you a Guideline document with tips & caveats when applying for the LMG Insurance Plan 1 (with 200K deductible) which is the cheapest option to meet the thai IO-approved healht-insurance requirement when applying for the 1-year extension of your Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of requirement.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You can't assume there will be easy travel and no quarantine in Dec/Jan. 

He should make plans to obtain extension to his non O-A. The focus should be on putting 800k baht 2 months prior to applying for 12 month extension. 

If things change early next year and some borders open and no quarantine requirements then he would have other options. The extension retirement can be his back up plan if nothing changes. 

And consider the insurance requirement if making a retirement extension on the O-A..

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

When you apply FIRST for the continuation of your 1-year extension of stay (you can do this 30 days - some IOs even allow 45 days - before your current permission to stay expires on 26 Jan 2021), and do it this time for reason of RETIREMENT, your father will after you got that 1-year extension of stay then be able to 'piggyback' on your retirement extension.  Financially that would be the best option for the both of you.

When you decide against the above, your father would need a thai IO-approved health-insurance when applying for the 1-year extension of his Non Imm O -A Visa for reason of retirement.

Note that if your father is married to a Thai national, he could apply for his 1-year extension of stay for reason of marriage and that would void the health-insurance requirement.

When your father is over 75 years of age, and would apply for reason of retirement he will not be able to subscribe to that mandatory thai IO-approved health-insurance requirement as the thai insurers that issue it, do not accept any applications by Non Imm O-A Visa holders over 75 years of age.  So in case your father is over 75 years of age and would apply for reason of retirement I suggest you visit your local IO and explain that it is NOT possible to meet that requirement.  Your local IO (request to talk to the officer in charge) would and in that case have no option than to void that insurance-requirement for your father's retirement extension application.

>> I did PM you a Guideline document with tips & caveats when applying for the LMG Insurance Plan 1 (with 200K deductible) which is the cheapest option to meet the thai IO-approved healht-insurance requirement when applying for the 1-year extension of your Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of requirement.

Why would you assume I'm over 50 years old? 😄 Got 30 years left before that. But thanks for the insurance tip.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2020 at 2:58 AM, Maestro said:

 

Your marriage extension was granted under clause 2.18 of Police Order 327/2557.

 

Regrettably, your father does not qualify for a parent extension under clause 2.20:

 

 

Hi. Thanks for letting me know. Seemed to have missed that part. So the standard 800k way it is then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zib said:

Hi. Thanks for letting me know. Seemed to have missed that part. So the standard 800k way it is then.

Also consider the Elite Visa for your dad. Yes, its money out the door, as opposed to money in you bank you get to use at some future time. But, depending on your dad's age and health, Elite could be a more worry free option. I got it for my mom (76/yo with health issues) last year after Chiang Mai immigration's capricious rule changes, and it has been worth the expense in less stress alone. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...