Sudden Supreme Court vacancy a new 'wild card' in U.S. presidential race

rooster59

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Prolonging the discussion is the problem.

There are some conservatives out there who don't like Trump and wouldn't vote for him. But if the supreme court judge is not in place before the election then those people might vote for Trump again, even if they don't like him, just to get a conservative judge. So what is more important to avoid? One important judge or 4 more years of Trump?

So, you think that there are single-issue, anti-abortion votes that are not already going to Trump?  Sounds far-fetched to me.  If that were the case then the endangered Republicans senators up in this election would favor a vote before election day, but so far they don't.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, cmarshall said:

So, you think that there are single-issue, anti-abortion votes that are not already going to Trump?  Sounds far-fetched to me.  If that were the case then the endangered Republicans senators up in this election would favor a vote before election day, but so far they don't.

Obviously some things are not discussed in the open. I.e. the DEMs won't say what I wrote even if they think the same. And it wasn't my original though, I read it already in the news.

There are some people who will always vote for Trump, some who will never vote for him, and some who might vote for him under certain conditions. Getting another conservative supreme court judge is such a condition. If that motivates only 1% or 2% that might make already the difference. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Google the last time the court has added or detracted justices. I don't think it is as easy as you seem to think.

Nothing in the constitution about how many. Its not as hard as you think.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Obviously some things are not discussed in the open. I.e. the DEMs won't say what I wrote even if they think the same. And it wasn't my original though, I read it already in the news.

There are some people who will always vote for Trump, some who will never vote for him, and some who might vote for him under certain conditions. Getting another conservative supreme court judge is such a condition. If that motivates only 1% or 2% that might make already the difference. 

But where's the evidence that the single-issue, anti-abortion voters are in what you suppose are the 1% to 2% that is swayable?  Seems doubtful to me.  

3 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

Didn't Biden say he was going to nominate a woman of color as his main prerequisite before choosing Kamala?  Doesn't this eliminate a large pool of potential candidates based on race and gender only?  Why wouldn't he pick the most qualified person regardless of race or gender.  At least Trump is only discriminating by gender and not race and gender.

Apparently you are not similarly troubled by the fact that with one exception all previous nominees for Vice President were white men.

Right-wingers are so predictable.

• Confused 1

53 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

But where's the evidence that the single-issue, anti-abortion voters are in what you suppose are the 1% to 2% that is swayable?  Seems doubtful to me.  

I don't have any evidence. I read the news and try to understand what is happening. I am sure there are some people who would vote for Trump just because of the supreme court judge. And not "just" abortion. But how many, I don't know. And I don't know how many he needs to win. There are lots of predictions but I don't think anybody really knows in the moment accurate numbers. And we all know what was predicted 4 years ago and what really happened. Uncertain times...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

If they win control of the government the Dems will have to show concrete improvement in the lives of their voters or else the voters will turn on them in 2022.  That means improving Obamacare, protecting abortion rights, passing their proposed extensions to Social Security, forgiveness of some or all of medical and educational debt, reform of the police and criminal justice system, increase taxes on the wealthy, etc.  Biden needs to be FDR in the first hundred days.  

As the political scientist Rachel Bitecofer points out, voting now is driven be negative partisanship, i.e. voting against the other party.  If the voters are not satisfied with the achievements of the Democrats they will flip the other way like they did from Obama to Trump.  

I get the negative partisanship bit, even mostly agree.

As for Biden playing FDR - regretfully not seeing that happening. Still see him as a better, saner, safer choice but without much hope he'll become one of the USA's outstanding Presidents.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Biden's programs so far including climate control, student debt forgiveness, increasing taxes on the rich and rich corporations, job creation, and others are the most progressive of any Democratic nominee since FDR.  He didn't move to the center after sewing up the nomination as many people thought he would.  He moved to the left.  

I don't care how Biden scores in the history books.  It's the progressive platform that matters.  Biden knows how much the Democratic Party has moved to the left in recent years.

A map is not the territory. A political program presented before elections is not necessarily how things pan out once victory is secured. Again, not quite seeing him ascending to the intended role, but even a run of the mill presidency, with some more limited goals achieved will be fine.

Edited by Morch
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Morch said:

A map is not the territory. A political program presented before elections is not necessarily how things pan out once victory is secured. Again, not quite seeing him ascending to the intended role, but even a run of the mill presidency, with some more limited goals achieved will be fine.

What I am saying is that the changes will be driven by the party underneath Biden who are demanding change.  Biden is not the one driving those changes, but that's okay because he's on board.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, cmarshall said:

What I am saying is that the changes will be driven by the party underneath Biden who are demanding change.  Biden is not the one driving those changes, but that's okay because he's on board.

I doubt Biden will simply play the puppet for the Democratic Party, or go along with any progressive notion and platform. All the more so if he's more about a one-term run. IMO, some of the items on offer might be great, but maybe not conductive to healing rifts if shoved down throats. So guess it's a matter of priorities rather than going through a list of policies and implementing them regardless of anything.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

Fill the seat. Republicans owe the Democrats absolutely nothing. Less than nothing in fact. Let them make threats of violence and unrest. Let them create a dog and pony show of it. Let then make threats of adding more judges. 

Fill it and let them meltdown, because they’d do the same thing if given half a chance. 

This is the chance to do what Michel Moore said in the past election, in reference to ginsburg vacancy!

But this time It will be the second time that  many of the forgotten will be a part of "biggest 'blank  blank' ever recorded in human history. ... is guaranteed to them by the American constitution": 

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

27 minutes ago, Morch said:

I think Biden is more a politician and less an ideologue. Adopting this or that platform indicating more a political necessity or advantage rather than being truly committed to tenets therein. Also, I don't see him as someone who's into clashing where things could be negotiated (for me, that's part of the appeal in his candidacy). So I expect that on some issues he'll mostly act according to the platform presented, whereas on others, perhaps more controversial ones, he'll seek a measure of bi-partisanship, implying concessions and compromise.

You seem to be talking about facts. As in how such a platform may improve things for all Americans. That could very well be true. What I'm addressing is perceptions. Like it or not, there are a lot of Republican supporters, Trump supporters, conservatives, religious people and others. While it is possible to ran policy through, on the basis of it's-for-your-own-good, it might be better to do so in a slower but more agreeable way. If I'm reading Biden's character and career right, that's more his style.

You seem to care what is in Joe Biden's heart of hearts.  I only care about what he does.  It's true that he has talked about restoring comity with the Republicans after Trump's elimination, which is as fatuous a notion as Obama's pursuit of bi-partisanship was. But Pelosi and Schumer are not so misguided and they matter much more for legislation than President Biden will.

Perceptions do matter.  Obamacare provided important benefits for many people who opposed it in the beginning.  But that has all changed.  Obamacare now has substantial support even across the political divide.  So, people can sometimes recognize their self-interest despite the Republican disinformation. 

It's possible that the voters will not recognize their self-interest in some of the Democrat policies, but the Dems have no alternative but to implement them anyway.  If they don't do enough the voters will take control of the Congress away from them in 2022 like they did in 2010, which happened in part because Obama failed to promote Obamacare as much as he should have.  

Trump is by far the dominant personality in the current Republican Party, but Biden won't have the same role for the Democrats.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, blazes said:

Maybe Trump could get the best of both worlds by nominating a judge well known as a Democrat, but who is a devout Roman Catholic!

Or a well known democrat but black, like Barack Obama.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

You seem to care what is in Joe Biden's heart of hearts.  I only care about what he does.  It's true that he has talked about restoring comity with the Republicans after Trump's elimination, which is as fatuous a notion as Obama's pursuit of bi-partisanship was. But Pelosi and Schumer are not so misguided and they matter much more for legislation than President Biden will.

Perceptions do matter.  Obamacare provided important benefits for many people who opposed it in the beginning.  But that has all changed.  Obamacare now has substantial support even across the political divide.  So, people can sometimes recognize their self-interest despite the Republican disinformation. 

It's possible that the voters will not recognize their self-interest in some of the Democrat policies, but the Dems have no alternative but to implement them anyway.  If they don't do enough the voters will take control of the Congress away from them in 2022 like they did in 2010, which happened in part because Obama failed to promote Obamacare as much as he should have.  

Trump is by far the dominant personality in the current Republican Party, but Biden won't have the same role for the Democrats.

Err...no. I'm offering that until he actually does something, alleging he'll diligently follow the platform on offer during elections is, as they say here, up to you. That you treat it as 'what he does', doesn't make it into actual deeds. You may think the pursuit for bi-partisanship 'fatuous' - and I'll offer the very same comments as above. If all Biden's got to offer is a mirror image of partisanship, then as much as I prefer these views, it's simply not enough.

I agree that some issues are easier to recognize, or to be 'marketed' as being in the interests of all the people, regardless of partisanship. It would probably be a better strategy to focus on these, given that resistance might be weaker, thus avoiding feeding the partisan counter-narrative. Other issues, perhaps being more controversial, might take the backseat.

Biden might not be as 'dominant' as Trump vs. the party, fair enough. But then again, he's a politician who proved he can build bridges, deal with opponents and generate less antagonism than others. I think this could play both vs. his home crowd (Democratic Party), the opposition (Republican Party) and the general public.

I get your own position is supportive of a more radical approach, but for me that's just an extension of the existing divide, which I see as a greater threat to the USA than most policies pushed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1