Sudden Supreme Court vacancy a new 'wild card' in U.S. presidential race

rooster59

8 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

If you are going to use poker analogies at least get them right. You can't see and raise that's an illegal bet. You simply raise. To see is technically a flat call and to raise is a completely separate bet. You can not call and raise in one in the sequence of the official rules. It would be considered angle shooting to see a reaction before you finally raise.  So don't lecture me about what is possible when you seem to have a hard time understanding basic rules.

Anyway you are assuming the dems gain the senate and can simply appoint whoever they want at will. If that was the case Obama would have not left a vacant seat. I am not sure what would be involved to change the law to load the court. If it's that easy both sides will do it until we have more judges than people 

Keep up. Jerry Nadler says Democrats should 'immediately' move to expand the Supreme Court if the GOP pushes a lame duck vote. All is fair in love, war and politics.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/jerry-nadler-says-democrats-should-immediately-move-to-expand-the-supreme-court-if-the-gop-pushes-a-lame-duck-vote/ar-BB19dtBI?li=BBorjTa

Edited by earlinclaifornia
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

I hope the SC nominee reveals she will favor protection of a woman’s right to choose.  That way, liberals, Antifa and BLM will be appeased somewhat, and stop rioting and other foolish antics.

Wasn't aware the riots had anything to do with RBG's death and the issue of appointing a replacement.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, JusticeGB said:

In normal circumstances it would be disrespectful to nominate a new Supreme Court Judge before the burial of a highly respected Judge like Ginsberg but these are not normal times in the USA. I think it wrong that politicians vote in judges because that doesn't provide for a real separation of powers. It will tilt the Supreme Court to the right for a very long time. A Supreme Court ruling shouldn't be right or left wing it should be impartial. 

"A Supreme Court justice is a non-elected post appointed by the President, and upon Senate confirmation holds the position for life".

https://www.azcleanelections.gov/how-government-works/supreme-court-justices

This is the procedure thats been used for many decades! Elections have consequences! Americans by virtue of the (senate  vote in each state) have spoken!

Thank God for that

Edited by riclag
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Google the last time the court has added or detracted justices. I don't think it is as easy as you seem to think.

Listening to the “experts on constitutional law” as far as I could understand it would go to the Supreme Court to decide if an expansion ie 9 to 11 or whatever number was chosen.

considering it would be the dems who felt cheated by a now 6-3 judge leaning to gop you think 6 republican leaning judges would vote to reduce the imbalance?
Of course I may have miss understood the argument.

Supreme court where so much ends up decided by unelected job for life sounds much like the House of Lords in uk unelected unremovable people with so much power and no accountability 

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Sujo said:

Biden says he is chosing a woman as running mate. Trump supporters deride him.

Trump says he is chosing a woman for supreme court, trump supporters, crickets.

Because we all know it's simply to avoid any #metoo nonsense. Trump knows how nasty and treacherous the dems are. So choosing a woman is a necessity to avoid their outrageous antics. You could consider it a small democrat victory for women's rights I suppose. Forcing people to do things out of fear of the reproach of the mob seems to be the woke way of life these days.

The thing is it works both ways can you imagine Trump nominated a heterosexual white guy with ten fingers and toes. You would never hear the end of it. What you people on the left should start to realize is it isn't in Trump's or any conservatives interests to heed a word of advice or even take seriously anything you say. Period. 

Biden was pandering and there is a big difference. At least Trump hasn't gone for the ground field double and declared his choice also must be black. Like the whole thing is some cheap BOGO sale.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Labeling many people is still labeling people. So nothing dishonest or against rules.

maintain saying "many Democrats" (or whatever the exact phrase is) was an intentional way of saying "not all Democrats". The person who responded, removing "many"? The net result is it insinuates I was saying "all Democrats". I know we are totally splitting hairs here- all part of the fun of discussion and debate IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Ruth Ginsberg herself says there's no reason the president shouldn't nominate someone for SCOTUS during an election year.

She lamented the Republican-majority Senate’s continued blocking of Garland from consideration, and its insistence that the next President, to be elected in November, should be the one to appoint a new Supreme Court Justice.

“That’s their job,” Ginsburg said, when asked whether the Senate should give the 63-year-old judge a fair hearing. “There’s nothing in the Constitution that says the President stops being President in his last year.”

https://time.com/4400491/ruth-bader-ginsburg-interview-donald-trump-merrick-garland-abortion/?iid=sr-link7

If it's good enough for her, it's good enough for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, heybruce said:

After McConnell succeeded in blocking Merrick Garland's nomination for 11 months she decided that the same rule should be applied to Republican nominees.  Why is that difficult to understand?

Why do you think she only came to the realization a president is president for four years only after observing some partisan squabbling? Do you have any evidence to suggest when the actual decision was made? You made a timeline claim on when she made her decision. Now let's see you back up your claim.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, heybruce said:

You want a timeline?

Your quote is from an interview of Justice Ginsburg published in July 2016. 

Ginsburg made it clear days before dying that she didn't want her replacement appointed until after the election.

Is that timeline clear enough for you?

No, that's not clear enough. You made a claim about when she made the decision she announced in 2016. But thanks for pointing out even RBG herself flip-flopped on the issue. The list continues to grow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1