Banks sharing personal data

You're not, and identity theft is a huge problem for those who get caught up in it.

I don't know whether it would have been helpful to notify the guy that the bank had been so cavalier with his personal data. This is Thailand. Having said that, in the USA he would have been entitled to bury the bank in lawsuits.

17 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Having said that, in the USA he would have been entitled to bury the bank in lawsuits.

Nah...at most the bank would be forced to give him 1 year of free credit monitoring...which has been the defacto solution whenever personal data has been hacked.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, recom273 said:

They do that because they then type those details in the computer.

The best thing is to make a habit of picking up or asking for the paper back after.

What would they do if the guy complained? all go and hide in the back office and deny the existence of a manager,

It's going to get really interesting if computer hackers ever decide to target Thailand. Security here is on the same level as a piggy bank. But then, most of them would not have Thai script keyboards.

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It's going to get really interesting if computer hackers ever decide to target Thailand. Security here is on the same level as a piggy bank. But then, most of them would not have Thai script keyboards.

Maybe they are careless with paper but I think front end cyber security is pretty good here (from what I’m told).
In the west there it seems a lot easier to abuse the payment systems and internet services, i tire of the endless 2-factor authentication to my phone or reciting an ID or passport number to complete a small transaction or task.

But, correct, if the figures for cyber crime were as high as road mortalities, then we should be worried.

Edited by recom273

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

In the not so distant past you would often be served street food in immigration forms that had all kinds of personnel data.  Junk paper was used before plastic took over.

A couple of years ago at a Cafe (attached to a hotel on Suk Soi 18) my son was given some scrap paper and crayons for some colouring etc (a nice touch). However the used side of the scrap paper had detailed information of the hotel guests (Name, Checkout date, Passport Number). Some of the guests were still in residence. 

I mentioned this to the Cafe Manager who really didn’t seem to recognise that this was an issue. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, loong said:

I've noted that some of the immigration forms have somebody's passport copy on the reverse side occasionally.

Frequently in my experience. Also Tessabans use the blank sides of paper  forms with other persons personal details. I once asked for the procedure to apply for a Ye,low Tabien Bahn and they gave me a full copy of another farangs application containing all of his personal details. I burned it at home.

On 9/20/2020 at 2:26 AM, theoldgit said:

I've shredded the paper, but I'm sure it might have been of use to somebody, maybe I'm over thinking. 

Yes, overthinking I'm quite sure. They only do this mountain of information collation, verification and extra due diligence to Americans because of this specific country's burdensome reporting requirements, snooping system and hypocrisy. That's why.

5 hours ago, mvdf said:

Yes, overthinking I'm quite sure. They only do this mountain of information collation, verification and extra due diligence to Americans because of this specific country's burdensome reporting requirements, snooping system and hypocrisy. That's why.

Everybody is subject to the same reporting requirements.