Phuket Opinion: Driving prices

rooster59

Phuket Opinion: Driving prices

By The Phuket News

1600547286_1-org.jpg

Just getting transport prices right would be a giant step in the right direction in attracting Thai tourists. Photo: Patong Municipality

PHUKET: Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Deputy Executive Director ASEAN, South Asia and South Pacific Region, Kulpramote Wannalert delivered an interesting presentation on “TAT’s Tourism Plan and Updates during the COVID-19 pandemic for Expats living in Thailand” at the Australian-Thai Chamber of Commerce (AustCham Thailand) Joint Chambers Phuket Briefing and Sundowners at Le Méridien Phuket Beach Resort, south of Patong, on Friday (Sept 18).

Ms Kulpramote highlighted what efforts are being made by the TAT’s 80-odd international offices around the globe to increase confidence among potential tourists to choose Thailand as a holiday destination once international travel resumes.

Ms Kulpramote also explained what role the TAT was fulfilling in helping to boost domestic tourism, especially provinces such as Phuket whose residents heavily depend on tourism just to make ends meet. Especially highlighted was the domestic expat market, for which the TAT was seeking suggestions from expats themselves on what they would like to see offered in order to inspire or encourage them to travel within the country.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-opinion-driving-prices-77377.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-09-20

• Haha 2

I have been to Phuket twice and will never go again. The price gouging is outrageous. It starts at the airport with the taxi touts and tuk tuks. It's in bars and restaurants on the beaches, hospitals. No point picking individual places it's everywhere. I advise friends from the UK not to go there. Even the weather is worse than most seaside resorts as it is not protected by mountain ranges like say Hua Hin or Pattaya. 

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Especially highlighted was the domestic expat market, for which the TAT was seeking suggestions from expats themselves on what they would like to see offered in order to inspire or encourage them to travel

They should ask everyone not a chosen small demographic of "friendly" foreigners. They have the perfect opportunity to make things "better", in meaningful way, whilst in this financial maelstrom, but will they? No, nothing will change I suspect, but I hope for the opposite eternally. 

"If they are foreigners, they cannot board the bus," she said, adding the rule requires all passengers to show an identification card to prove they are Thai.
I telephoned the company's call centre and the female operator just confirmed with a simple "yes". She also said the weird rule applied to all expats who have been living here for decades.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, JusticeGB said:

I have been to Phuket twice and will never go again. The price gouging is outrageous. It starts at the airport with the taxi touts and tuk tuks. It's in bars and restaurants on the beaches, hospitals. No point picking individual places it's everywhere. I advise friends from the UK not to go there. Even the weather is worse than most seaside resorts as it is not protected by mountain ranges like say Hua Hin or Pattaya. 

Don't exaggerate 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Last week I had my annual eye checks in BKK hospital. I asked in accounts if any discount and she showed there was an automatic 15% discount on my bill. And the bill was not inflated. Cheaper than last year. 

How much did it cost with the 15% off?

On 9/20/2020 at 1:17 PM, JusticeGB said:

After being there three times with my Thai Lady who lived there, I agree with you. I'm pretty sure it rains there 7/24/355. Prices are ludicrous, traffic terrible and beaches invisible under the rippling layer of human flesh. 

Count me out for good on that place. 

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, RocketDog said:

After being there three times with my Thai Lady who lived there, I agree with you. I'm pretty sure it rains there 7/24/355. Prices are ludicrous, traffic terrible and beaches invisible under the rippling layer of human flesh. 

Count me out for good on that place. 

You should see the place now, no tourists, not bad traffic and nobody on the beaches. All the tourists that are here, are at immigration trying to get new visas before the 26th September 2020.

As Murray Walker the F1 Grand Prix commentator would call immigration, it's pandemonium, pandemonium, pandemonium.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Inepto Cracy said:

You should see the place now, no tourists, not bad traffic and nobody on the beaches. All the tourists that are here, are at immigration trying to get new visas before the 26th September 2020.

As Murray Walker the F1 Grand Prix commentator would call immigration, it's pandemonium, pandemonium, pandemonium.

I assumed that would be true. The beaches were just literally crawling with people every time I was there. Huahin noise and traffic has reduced considerably as well. Truth to tell, I don't mind the change at all but can see the negative economic impact it has on the local Thai and feel bad about that.

I did my 90 Day report a few days early yesterday at Huahin IO and was still surprised how much traffic there was.  A normally 15 minute job took nearly 40.

Still, rain and localized flooding are a constant in Phuket. Food prices are/were about 30-40% higher than where I live.

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Not iff you know where to go I pay normal Thai prices around Rawai 60 baht average 50 baht Tiger beer

Thanks. But again my main complaint is weather. So I'll never be around Phuket long enough to know the best places. Even then, in normal times it may not be worth challenging the traffic to get there.