Crazy father in law!

2 is 1

Father in law come from rubber farm, whit suprice! He was "get" shoot mountain hawk eagle! This one!

images.jpeg.8111ba72c0ce975ce2781708a3abe5ab.jpeg

I was really angry and nobody don't understand why i was angry! They make food from that and ask me to eat, im not say nothing only start make my own food! They still eat everything what they catch! 

A bit shocking that - is it a protected species in Thailand ?

I tried Shark’s Fin Soup with the in-laws once. And explained, I’ll try it once, just to try it and from that point on not again. I explained the issues and the in-laws now understand why I won’t eat it, but they still do. I’m not expecting I can change their culture or choice of so called delicacies.

In your case, at least they ate the whole thing.

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A bit shocking that - is it a protected species in Thailand ?

I tried Shark’s Fin Soup with the in-laws once. And explained, I’ll try it once, just to try it and from that point on not again. I explained the issues and the in-laws now understand why I won’t eat it, but they still do. I’m not expecting I can change their culture or choice of so called delicacies.

In your case, at least they ate the whole thing.

Permit me to doubt they ate the feathers.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

is it a protected species in Thailand ?

I don't know. 

3 minutes ago, Poet said:

Somewhere, on a Thai language forum, someone has just started a thread whose titles translates as "Crazy son-in-law".

Lol maybe: Crazy ,clueless farang.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

According to wikipedia:

Although classified currently as a least-concern species due its persistence over a rather wide distribution, this species is often quite rare and scarce and seems to be decreasing, especially in response to large-scale habitat degradation and deforestation.

In another generation there may be no more of these birds for them to eat!

• Like 1

Yep this is a real problem in the more rural areas.

My closest neighbours shot, killed and ate the same bird a few months ago because it had killed a few of his chickens. Proudly held it up, wings open. It's times like this you unfortunately can refuse to take part or eat it, but ill-advised to make too big a stink for fear of future reprisals. Wife would not let me take a photo to post on FB. 'No good idea!'

I have also been offered for sale a dead monkey (forget the species but it is on the protected list) and was being sold at 300 Baht per kilo.

Used to see many bats at night, none now, caught in nets and eaten so not just the Chinese eh?

Same with snakes, wild ducks and I am sure a few others that used to be plentiful in the vilages.

It's going to take a long process of education but I fear many more will cease to exist before that happens.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Yep this is a real problem in the more rural areas.

My closest neighbours shot, killed and ate the same bird a few months ago because it had killed a few of his chickens. Proudly held it up, wings open. It's times like this you unfortunately can refuse to take part or eat it, but ill-advised to make too big a stink for fear of future reprisals. Wife would not let me take a photo to post on FB. 'No good idea!'

I have also been offered for sale a dead monkey (forget the species but it is on the protected list) and was being sold at 300 Baht per kilo.

Used to see many bats at night, none now, caught in nets and eaten so not just the Chinese eh?

Same with snakes, wild ducks and I am sure a few others that used to be plentiful in the vilages.

It's going to take a long process of education but I fear many more will cease to exist before that happens.

Hunger and poverty lead to harsh choices.

• Like 2

I can remember driving with my Thai GF up near Mt. Dandenong ( Melbourne ) and there was a fairly large dead deer on the side of the road, presumably hit by a car or truck. She was most indignant when I refused to load it into the pickup I was driving, waste of meat which would have fed her whole village.

54 minutes ago, Nout said:

Hunger and poverty lead to harsh choices.

I agree this applies to many places in Thailand, but I would say I have, in 3 years, never seen any signs of hunger in my village. In fact it seems quite well off as rural communities go.

70% (now less, due to covid) are migrant workers from Laos and Myanmar and even they seem to do ok, there still being plenty of farm work from the 30% Thai here, all landowners and employers.

Covid does not seem to have affected the local residents other than having to acommodate returning, unemployed family members, now mostly for new jobs or to restart their old job. Never seen any food shortage or people going hungry.

I am sure this is not the norm though. THis time the bird was killed to stop it killing chickens.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

Try not to become the center of attention in a  Thai family...don't create drama...go with the flow bro!

Yeah thanks! I think i have all ok. Some my "act's" can but on farangs tab! I have good relationship whit my thai family. Whit all of them, im family member and i can show my feelings sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...