Elite VS Wait for new tourist visa

I'm from Scotland. Looking to return to Thailand as soon as I can.

I have had it confirmed by Thai Elite Visa and the London Embassy that I can apply and get an Elite card membership, have it fixed into my passport in the UK, and have TEV instruct the Embassy to give me a COE and return. The whole process taking 8-12 weeks.

I have however read that there is now a 90x3 tourist visa coming, with specific details unknown. 

I was wondering if those on here who are knowledgeable about these, could make a guess on how likely it would be that this would soon be available?

Money is not really issue, but I would prefer to do the 90x3 Visa over the elite card as I will be eligible for an investment Visa in mid 2022 and feels like a waste to get the elite visa given this. 

OP, only one person's opinion, I believe this new 90x3 is a nonsense. Read the details of the requirements. In particular the monthly limit of 1200 people. 

If this does become reality the countries it will be available to won't include places such as UK, USA etc.

If you can afford it the Elite is the go.

Even more so if your some years shy of 50.

No brainier IMHO.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, only one person's opinion, I believe this new 90x3 is a nonsense. Read the details of the requirements. In particular the monthly limit of 1200 people. 

If this does become reality the countries it will be available to won't include places such as UK, USA etc.

If you can afford it the Elite is the go.

Even more so if your some years shy of 50.

No brainier IMHO.

Agreed about the UK being unlikely to be in the initial countries getting the new visa but worth mentioning that TE is (I believe) limited to 300 COE’s per month & it’s not clear whether existing members will be given priority.

My advice would be to hang on for the end of the month announcement about the next tranche of people who can enter (neither Tourist Visa or Elite can at the moment) & make a call then.

FWIW, I think us Non-O retirement guys should be next so I can visit the UK (haven’t seen family for 1 year next month).

Edited by Mike Teavee

2 hours ago, rimpsstar said:

I have had it confirmed by Thai Elite Visa and the London Embassy that I can apply and get an Elite card membership, have it fixed into my passport in the UK, and have TEV instruct the Embassy to give me a COE and return. The whole process taking 8-12 weeks.

They told you you'd actually be in the country within that time?

I'm in a similar position and the big unknowns for me are how long the wait would be if I went for the elite (I have my approval letter, just need to transfer the money) vs the new visa (if the UK is included).

In reality there is a cap on arrivals because the number of quarantine places is limited and it is not clear how they are going to be allotted. You could make a similar comment about the flights. Elite have said that priority will be given to those who have been stranded outside Thailand the longest while holding an elite card, which puts new members at the back of the queue. There are question marks over a lot of other things, like which countries will be eligible for the new visa, when this will be announced, and how long the whole system will take to implement. The elite arrangements were announced almost two months ago, I think, and so far I haven't seen any reports of anyone actually getting a COE / getting in to the country (not that every entry into Thailand is reported on here...).

I don't believe that eligibility for the new visa will be driven purely by the covid stats. I'm not counting on the UK being included, but I don't think you can rule it out. Covid aside I don't need the elite, so (as in your case, I think) the 500k will be wasted if it turns out I could have got in almost as soon anyway. I think you've just got to decide how much you'd care if that happened.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FlyingThai said:

So Thailand Elite officially can affix their visa labels at embassies now?

Would be interesting to see an official - reliable -communication in that regard.

If you are talking about the current situation, I can't reply but if your question is: "usually" then the answer is a 100% yes and has been so since its creation. This being said I do not see why the "virus episode" would impact this process (apart from being or not  allowed in )

Of course none of us is able to reply as both alternatives need to be enforced but it is even more difficult to reply as you are not stating how long you plan to stay (You are writing about 2022...)

You mention that money is not a real issue. Of course wasting money, if indeed it is a waste, is not smart but, depending of your intended period of stay in the kingdom, and that is an important if not a decisive variable, why dont you go for both ? Become an Elite member and apply for the 9 month visa: Use whichever visa  suits you when the moment comes, the one making it easier and faster to get to Thailand.

But, one thing is quite certain: if you use the Elite visa and are a successful candidate, according to the queue number you will obtain, if the Covid situation does not improve, if you leave after a few months it will be difficult for you to come back at will.

I would be stranded abroad and "desperate" to get back, I would make sure I have all the possible routes at hand to secure the journey.

If I am not mistaken, the process of issuance of the Elite visa is the same as pre-Covid. This means that the 3 month period is more often a month, if not less, depending on your credentials and country of origin.

Furthermore, once approved, you are at liberty to enroll the program or decline.

A win win situation you might consider.

37 minutes ago, alyx said:

So Thailand Elite officially can affix their visa labels at embassies now?

37 minutes ago, alyx said:

If you are talking about the current situation, I can't reply but if your question is: "usually" then the answer is a 100% yes and has been so since its creation. This being said I do not see why the "virus episode" would impact this process

But that was not the "usual"  process before covid.  The usual process was that you obtained an approval letter before travel, and the actual visa was obtained on arrival in bkk.  Was the visa ever affixed at embassies pre-covid?

• Like 2

flight prices will be out of your hands with the mention of chartered flights, quarantine costs, insurance costs? does it mention or proof of financials? does it mention it, all for 9 months, some people are starting to dream if they think this new TV takes it back to better and easier times to use for years 

15 hours ago, jackdd said:

There is no limit of 1200 people, this was just mistranslated in one news article. Actually they said that the Thai government estimates that 1200 people per month will arrive using this visa.

yes but some people are living in an alternate universe if they think this new tr visa can be compared to the elite, one its 9 months, then what, some of you think it will be extended? what if its not, then its back to 70k save the turtle voluntary visa, or 70k live in a cave monk visa for 12 months, thats the state of play right now, thats how low its got, and after they destroy the volunteer visa, and honest and caring conservation takes a huge hit, then what, hoping for another new tourist visa, right

4 hours ago, humbug said:

yes but some people are living in an alternate universe if they think this new tr visa can be compared to the elite, one its 9 months, then what, some of you think it will be extended? what if its not, then its back to 70k save the turtle voluntary visa, or 70k live in a cave monk visa for 12 months, thats the state of play right now, thats how low its got, and after they destroy the volunteer visa, and honest and caring conservation takes a huge hit, then what, hoping for another new tourist visa, right

Or convert to Non-O “Retirement” (a lot of guys are looking at this as a way to get back quicker) or even convert to Elite then (the OP isn’t bothered by costs, just getting back as soon as possible)

8 hours ago, alyx said:

If you are talking about the current situation, I can't reply but if your question is: "usually" then the answer is a 100% yes and has been so since its creation. This being said I do not see why the "virus episode" would impact this process (apart from being or not  allowed in )

The Thailand Elite Visa has never been given at embassies abroad. It was always affixed upon arrival in Thailand or at CW with help of the TE concierge.

I'm surprised because just 10 days ago it was documented here on TV that Thailand Elite informed new members that it's explicitly NOT possible to get their visa at an Embassy but they're working on a solution and might start sending labels to the missions abroad.

8 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

But that was not the "usual"  process before covid.  The usual process was that you obtained an approval letter before travel, and the actual visa was obtained on arrival in bkk.  Was the visa ever affixed at embassies pre-covid?

Yes it was and has always been the usual process

Yes too to your question: three ways to have one's visa affixed. While in Thailand at the immigration centre (Chaeng Wattana definitely. Phuket: not sure but I do think so). Upon arrival form another country: Bangkok and Phuket (same caution applies for the latter but members can confirm) and finally at the Embassy of your choice (it does not have to be the Embassy of your country of residence)

Check the attached picture from the following post

32 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

The Thailand Elite Visa has never been given at embassies abroad. It was always affixed upon arrival in Thailand or at CW with help of the TE concierge.

I'm surprised because just 10 days ago it was documented here on TV that Thailand Elite informed new members that it's explicitly NOT possible to get their visa at an Embassy but they're working on a solution and might start sending labels to the missions abroad.

To simply put it: I did

Also, for renewal: I did and not in my country of origin

That should settle the matter...

IMG_1687.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, worldfun said:

Who knows which countries will be randomly picked - probably those who have voiced a solid demand such as London, but that means Scotland are out as a separatist country ????

It is still time for some Scots to (discreetly) apply and be granted UK citizenship ????

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, FlyingThai said:

I have been told directly by Thailand Elite that my Visa will be affixed in London before I travel

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rimpsstar said:

I have been told directly by Thailand Elite that my Visa will be affixed in London before I travel

Hopefully they told you that in writing. Keep a record of it and pay by credit card so you can do a chargeback if things go pear shaped.

3 hours ago, alyx said:

To simply put it: I did

Also, for renewal: I did and not in my country of origin

That should settle the matter...

IMG_1687.JPG

You have the SE (Special Entry) Visa which is the old version. That's an entirely different matter. The new PE visas were never attached abroad which never made sense to me why they'd refuse to do so.

I'm glad to see that - as per the OP - they finally formulated a process to send visa labels to their main embassies abroad and hopefully let them store some which is what I advocated for years.

5 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

You have the SE (Special Entry) Visa which is the old version. That's an entirely different matter. The new PE visas were never attached abroad which never made sense to me why they'd refuse to do so.

I'm glad to see that - as per the OP - they finally formulated a process to send visa labels to their main embassies abroad and hopefully let them store some which is what I advocated for years.

As per your reply you are referring to the Thailand Elite visa has never been affixed abroad. Of course you might be correct about the difference between the PE and the SE, which I had renewed 2 years ago in Greece  

On 9/20/2020 at 9:42 AM, Sheryl said:

This new visa will be limited ro countries with little or no COVID  transmission so not the UK anytime soon.

Thats this mornings new, but yesterday UK was in the scheme as one of the first locations, tomorrow who knows what the story is.

I am waiting until official announcement is out, the press are driving me nut with their daily contradictory stories.

I think that ideas for entry permits are simply some Thai official putting forward impossible conditions so that he can claim to be 'doing something' to revive Tourism.  When the tourist do not arrive, it is not his fault, it is the fault of the tourists, who will not submit to such restrictions.

Any long term retirement or other visa holders, do not make the mistake I made  and return to UK, as I did in June.  I thought that restrictions would be lifted in Sept/ oct and I would be free to return.

All the news here in UK is that Covid testing has failed and tests impossible to book or get.  A least the telephone system still works.  I am now warning my wife that I might not even be home in Thailand for Christmas.

I think  great pity that Thailand cannot be as UK government.  On return I ha to give contact details and was then trusted to self quarantine for1 days in my own home.

However much fun the gov. quarantine is going to be, and I would not expect much, I would far prefer to self quarantine in my own home in Thailand.  that should not be too difficult to organise if there is a will to do so.

2 hours ago, Alldar said:

I would double check that you would be able to enter Thailand with the Elita Visa. Was just reading this post where the Richard is saying it was not possible and he also got the wrong information that it should be possible.

It's possible this was before Thai Elite holders were approved. I have had it confirmed that I will be able to enter so it should not be a problem

3 hours ago, Robin said:

I think  great pity that Thailand cannot be as UK government.  On return I ha to give contact details and was then trusted to self quarantine for1 days in my own home.

However much fun the gov. quarantine is going to be, and I would not expect much, I would far prefer to self quarantine in my own home in Thailand. 

In the beginning, they allowed home quarantine for diplomats in Thailand, and it didn't work.  Several infected people didn't follow the rules and went to public areas and caused a national panic.  No chance they will ever allow it again--people simply can't be trusted.  There will always be some idiot that ruins it for everyone.