Dealing with Thai customs, anyone?

watthong

Will avoid ordering anything for awhile (I have all my gear up to date for a few years at least now too)...   regularly order vitamins for my parents here from the US, despite being Thai they have grown accustomed to US off brand stuff...   I'd say 10-11 shipments in a row over several years, but this last time, the shipment was accompanied by a new pair of snowboard boots for myself.   All of a sudden, the shipment 'had to go through FDA approval'... had to first go to the customs centre at Suvarnabhumi to sign some docs to allow Fedex to clear it for me, then 2 weeks of waiting... then a customs bill for 6,000 Baht in tax (and these were basic $140 boots)... I said fine, just send it through... and then another 10 day delay....(I'm fine with taxes as I never undervalue my ski or snowboard gear so as not to risk not getting it).... while this is pure speculation, it certainly *felt* like someone in the background just wanted a pair of snowboard boots.   Kind of a 'let's see if he'll bother driving up to Bangkok'... 'let's see if he'll pay double the value of the boots'... and then after a follow up email and nearly a month of 'the world definitely NOT on time', Fedex sent me a clearance notification and I got them the next day (after payment of taxes and customs clearing fees).        

Hope this helps.  We imported a 40 foot container of personal and household items some 3 years ago.  We employed a Customs Agent in Bangkok to act for us with customs, cost was 3,000 Baht.  When the container arrived he made the valid point to customs that the goods were being imported by my wife, a Thai citizen, returning to Thai to live, as such most of the items were entering duty free.  However, they were some items, mainly controlled wood furniture, that we knew would incur duty. The agent was very good and after paying the Customs an 'Admin Fee', of 1,000 Baht, we were charged 150 Baht duty for the controlled goods.  That is not a misprint, it was indeed 150 Baht. Strongly suggest that you employ a reputable Customs Agent to act of your behalf.  Its worth the cost and the hassle. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Hope this helps.  We imported a 40 foot container of personal and household items some 3 years ago.  We employed a Customs Agent in Bangkok to act for us with customs, cost was 3,000 Baht.  When the container arrived he made the valid point to customs that the goods were being imported by my wife, a Thai citizen, returning to Thai to live, as such most of the items were entering duty free.  However, they were some items, mainly controlled wood furniture, that we knew would incur duty. The agent was very good and after paying the Customs an 'Admin Fee', of 1,000 Baht, we were charged 150 Baht duty for the controlled goods.  That is not a misprint, it was indeed 150 Baht. Strongly suggest that you employ a reputable Customs Agent to act of your behalf.  Its worth the cost and the hassle. 

Well,  your story is not complete without the contact info for your agent.

We are in Turkey for my work and will be returning to Thailand in coming months, covid allowing.  My guys here assure me shipping out is easy peasy, but I do have concern on the Bangkok end.  A container is cheap enough, if we can control the customs cost it will be huge relief.

PM me if you prefer.