Rissole / Meat patty recipe advice

Kenny202

Tried for years to make a descent rissole. I'm Aussie we call them rissoles anyway. Got the flavor down no probs, it's just that mine always have a mushy consistency inside. I don't like them dry.... but I like them firm nearly chewy on the inside. My basic recipe 500 grams pork mince, 1 egg, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, herbs, little bit of sauce, grated onion / carrot. Always conscious not to make the mix wet. I will cook them well, for at least 30-40 mins but like I said always seem a bit mushy inside. Pork mince not over fatty but a good amount. 

Used to get some back home from a butcher were exactly how I liked them. I am guessing he used some glutinous additive. I even tried oatmeal as a substitute last time and still didn't get the result I wanted. Maybe I need to blitz the mince mix up very fine. That's how the ones I like seemed to be. 

Anyone have any advice? If you are Aussie you will understand how important a good rissole is lol

I found an easy way to get plain mince to bind together. The original recipe from the internet was to add a packet of french onion soup. As french onion soup packets seem scarce where i live I just add a packet of cream of whatever I like soup powder then knead the mince. Add in the extras and you should get a good rissole.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Rissoles are easy. Minced meat, breadcrumbs, onion and one or two eggs to bind it together. Kangaroo or emu is just as good as beef. Pork or chicken? Ugh.

You would think so. I just don't like them softish inside. My friend is a chef said use more eggs. I would have thought that would make them sloppier? Soup mix a good idea, would have some thickening agent in it

Edited by Kenny202

19 minutes ago, Farma said:

I found an easy way to get plain mince to bind together. The original recipe from the internet was to add a packet of french onion soup. As french onion soup packets seem scarce where i live I just add a packet of cream of whatever I like soup powder then knead the mince. Add in the extras and you should get a good rissole.

Where do you get the packet soups from? I don't remember ever seeing them?

1 minute ago, Kenny202 said:

You would think so. I just don't like them softish inside. My friend is a chef said use more eggs. I would have thought that would make them sloppier? Soup mix a good idea, would have some thickening agent in it

They're not softish if they are thinned out, and cooked on high heat.

Just now, Farma said:

I've been using cream of chicken as I bought a commercial size pack from makro. Look around in the supermarkets too.

I found the mince patties I make dont fall apart. I dont add egg of breadcrumbs.

Sounds great. Might be a good additive for other things to. Mine don't fall apart. They just seem a bit mushy / soft inside. I will definitely try the soup, mix all the ingredients together and blitz it to a finer consistency

I actually like cream of chicken soup. Could put your own chicken and some extra veges etc in. Have you tried the powdered stuff as an actual soup?