Cellulitus

roger101

Hi this ones for Sheryl. I am self medicating for Cellulitis.  The infection stopped getting worse after 2 days. After 4days I noticed a definite improvement but the last couple of days the improvement seems so slow. I do feel teeter, no temperature now and my leg doesn't protest when I walk but it's so slow.  Can you recommenced another antibiotic to help the system along.

Thanks

Not sure why you haven't already gone to a local clinic. Some infections can be treated with oral antibiotics, others would be better treated with an injections or slow-drip IV treatment (depending on the severity and coarse of the current infection).

/ Yes, I know I'm not Sheril. or even Cyril. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RichCor said:

Not sure why you haven't already gone to a local clinic. Some infections can be treated with oral antibiotics, others would be better treated with an injections or slow-drip IV treatment (depending on the severity and coarse of the current infection).

/ Yes, I know I'm not Sheril. or even Cyril. 

I have had thus before. I just cant remember what other antibiotic the  Dr gave me.

There are LOTS of alternative meds, dependent on location, "prior episodes of cellulitis, unique exposures or underlying comorbidities. Thus, both the diagnosis and treatment of cellulitis is based on empiricism."

Take a look at here, then click on the "Tables" tab for treatment therapy

http://www.antimicrobe.org/new/e1.asp

// I still believe you should see a doctor, even if at a local clinic

2 hours ago, roger101 said:

I have had thus before. I just cant remember what other antibiotic the  Dr gave me.

Doing a google search for 'cellulitis dicloxacillin dose' might help you....it might also jog your memory...

Edited by ukrules

A picture would be helpful to know how severe it is.

Is it weeping? is it dry? is it getting smaller or bigger

Do you have any allergies?

Do you have any other medical conditions that need to be considered to rule out besides a bacterial infection causing cellulitis? (autoimmune dieases, GI diseases, GUM diseases)

As a doctor from the UK, I would normally perscribe flucloxacillin 500mg - 1g four times a day for simple cellulitis (you don't have symptoms such as fever, worsening rash or gangrene like appearence) depending on the rash and its severity, dicloaxcillin is an interchangeable antibiotic to it.  If you're allergic to penicillin then clindamycin is usually the next choice, for patients in the UK.  

One of the issues though with skin infections is that the bacterial profile is likely to different to the UK in Thailand.  It's always worth seeking medical advice locally in case the practice is different here or if their microbiologists suggest something different.  

What medication are you taking now?

If it  seems to be improving with what you are taking, continue it for a minimum of 10 days or until all signs of inflammation are completely gone, whichever takes longer.

If it does not resolve see a doctor. If it starts to increase in size, go straight to an emergency room. This is not something to mess around with, especially in the tropics.

I also suggest you circle the area in marker pen, makes it easy to see if it is getting smaller.