Study identifies pros and cons of Thai-EU free trade deal

webfact

Study identifies pros and cons of Thai-EU free trade deal

By The Nation

800_4d2bbf2bee5c51f.jpeg?v=1600437387

Director-general Auramon Supthaweethum

Entering a free trade agreement (FTA) with the European Union would boost revenue from some Thai exports but at the cost of Thailand having to import more products from the EU, according to a study.

The findings of the study, conducted by the Institute of Future Studies for Development, will be presented at a Department of Trade Negotiations' seminar in Bangkok next Tuesday, said the department’s director general Auramon Supthaweethum.

The preliminary study on the pros and cons of a Thai-EU free trade pact found it would expand Thai exports of auto parts, electronic equipment, food, rubber and plastic to the EU.

But in exchange, Thailand would have to import more dairy products, oil seeds and technology products from the EU.

The EU has already forged free trade deals with Singapore and Vietnam and is in talks for a deal with Indonesia. It has suspended talks with Thailand, Malaysia and the Philippines. Talks with Thailand that began in 2013 were suspended in 2014.

Thailand has so far signed 13 free trade accords with 18 countries. These consist of Asean partner countries, China, Japan, South Korea, India, Australia, New Zealand, Chile and Peru.

Trade with these 18 countries last year accounted for 62.8 per cent of Thailand’s total trade with global partners. That figure would rise to 70.7 per cent if Thailand forged a free-trade deal with the EU, Auramon added.

The EU is currently Thailand’s fifth largest trading partner, after Asean, China, Japan and the US. It is the fifth largest investor in Thailand after Japan, China, Asean, and Taiwan.

Soure: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30394785

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-21

For almost five years the Prayut government has debated about joining the TPP (now CPTPP) that currently includes 11 signatories representing the third largest free-trade block in the world after NAFTA and the European Single Market. TNSC and JSCCIB support government negotiations for TPP.

Problem for the government is that Thailand would have to become more competitive and innovative.

No different with a Thai-EU FTA other than much less in economic scope and risk. And still the government hesitates. One would think that competiveness and innovation would be ingrained in a hardcore military-based government.

But the PM seems to think otherwise. Maybe it's hard to retreat after charging ahead and failing. The latter of which the government seems more experienced. Better to fall back on its lower risk EEC where risk is controlled entirely by the government.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Under a free trade agreement they wouldn't be able to continue to do that.

EU member state produced beer, wines, spirits, cheese, meat and other food products - competing without the restrictive 100% PLUS luxury goods taxes. No protection for local businesses.

Will never fly!

And who would be over here doing checks in the outlets to make sure this wouldn't happen?

Just interested as to how it would be monitored.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

The EU has already forged free trade deals with Singapore and Vietnam and is in talks for a deal with Indonesia. It has suspended talks with Thailand, Malaysia and the Philippines. Talks with Thailand that began in 2013 were suspended in 2014.

Odd the EU won't sign a free trade deal with the UK then.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

And there was me, so looking forward to a nice French, Australian or Californian wine (other producers are also available) ???? Or an extremely tasty extra mature Cheddar or creamy Stilton or Camembert, all with reasonably priced crackers and stuff, sadly as baerboxer states, it'll never fly. ????

Ohhh the memories come flooding back...

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Ohhh the memories come flooding back...

I had a family member visit back in February this year, prior to their visit they proudly showed me the TWO 1/2 kilo blocks of cheese that they were bringing for us, I have not bothered with the many expletives that issued forth from my tongue, needless to say that when they did arrive the 2 blocks had become a veritable delight of English cheeses, 10 large varied packs in total, absolute heaven. ????????????

2 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I had a family member visit back in February this year, prior to their visit they proudly showed me the TWO 1/2 kilo blocks of cheese that they were bringing for us, I have not bothered with the many expletives that issued forth from my tongue, needless to say that when they did arrive the 2 blocks had become a veritable delight of English cheeses, 10 large varied packs in total, absolute heaven. ????????????

Damn you... ????

On 9/21/2020 at 2:04 AM, webfact said:

Thailand has so far signed 13 free trade accords with 18 countries. These consist of Asean partner countries, China, Japan, South Korea, India, Australia, New Zealand, Chile and Peru.

Then why are items from Australia and New Zealand so expensive in Thailand then?  They seem comparable to prices of goods from the EU and the USA 

• Like 2

On 9/21/2020 at 3:04 AM, webfact said:

Entering a free trade agreement (FTA) with the European Union would boost revenue from some Thai exports but at the cost of Thailand having to import more products from the EU, according to a study.

The use of "but" multiple times could be a sign that the Thais are surprised that they have to give something in the trade relationship, rather than simply ripping off the Farangs, I mean EU. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

The use of "but" multiple times could be a sign that the Thais are surprised that they have to give something in the trade relationship, rather than simply ripping off the Farangs, I mean EU. 

And this comes as a surprise to you? ????

• Haha 2