Government panel pushes Bt1.2-trillion transport mega-projects

webfact

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

The usual distorted comment. That is the Hat Yai shuttle, old 3rd class rolling stock used to ferry passengers between Hat Yai and PD. The rolling stock used between Hat Yai and Bangkok is fairly modern.

It is the tracks in Thailand that need upgrading more so than the rolling stock.

Rubbish, i've used SRT trains over thirty years, that Thai engine has been used for the BKK run nearly every time i've travelled......  The only difference is now the restaurant car is deserted......  Along with the railway stations.....   Disaster......... There are some reconditioned cars and engines, but only a few...... 

Edited by SupermarineS6B
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Surasak said:

I think the money is available via the foreign currency holdings. If these projects get started, it will provide employment and in the long term will be of greater benefit to the country. Like anywhere else though, the longer it is put off, the cost increases. 

If it’s so attractive and going to benefit the country then why not lot private enterprise take care of it? Is it because there’s not the need and so businesses don’t see a way to make money without government support? In which case is it really needed at all? Give the money back by way of tax breaks and let Thai citizens do what they want with their own money.  

4 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

It should be delayed , not accelerated .

Nobody knows the outcome of the ' Covid ' situation yet .

There could be hard times coming for Thailand ...

Better keep the money for now , until the ' dark clouds ' are gone ...

And besides; the money could be wasted on keeping the dead duck Thai Airways alive and buying more Military Equipment !

3 hours ago, wazzupnow said:

china s high speed trains are not safe,i have seen a sign in it that says

this train can go up to 400 km an hour but we only go 299 km an hour because it might go off the rail

like everything from china cheap copies from the real thing

Must have taken you a long time to come up with that - the old "China high speed rail is not safe" chestnut that has no basis in fact, at all.  In fact China probably has one of the world's safest networks.  36,000 kms of high speed line - that's around two thirds of the global total.  So you can add up all the other high speed networks in the world and it would be around half of China's length.

How many fatal high speed rail accidents have there been around the world?  Many.  How many in China?  One, nine years ago (although yes, it was a biggie).  

You can criticise China for many things, but they are very very good at building high speed rail lines and operating them safely.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

It should be delayed , not accelerated .

Nobody knows the outcome of the ' Covid ' situation yet .

There could be hard times coming for Thailand ...

Better keep the money for now , until the ' dark clouds ' are gone ...

I am not sure about that. Usually economists say it's a good idea to invest in infrastructure when economy is down. Workers on the projects will earn an income, prevents some job losses. And once the economy picks up, the improved infrastructure should provide a benefit as well. 

By the way, I believe a lot of work on infrastructure is done all around Thailand. I've seen a lot of work on the road between Chiang Mai and Bangkok. A lot of roadwork in Pattaya. And also in the north between Chaiprakan and Fang. 

7 hours ago, yellowboat said:

People are hungry at this time. 

I think you beat a lot of people to it (me included) with that statement!

"Ah, but it's a long term strategy" Oh, I see - by which time there will be more suicides and empty bellies than ever before in this country. And the "begging bowls" in Phuket are/should be an embarrassment to this Government.

Do the powers that be actually care about that? Or are they more concerned about their "planes and boats (read "submarines") and trains? No answer needed!

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1

What  is wrong with this Gov??

Dont they care about the normal people  with no jobs  no food many  not well off  at this time 

Sooner  they are Outed  the  better for Thailand 

That   money   how

Sell  Thailand to China  only option 

Or  start   sell drugs  like North Korea

Good Luck   Thailand

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jen65 said:

Could you manage a teeny weeny bit of that transport budget to improve the driving test ??? oh and maybe get some speed cameras installed !!! 

There are some speed cameras. I don't know how many, but I'm a victim of one in Phitsanulok a few years ago.

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

Excellent news from the government and Khun Prayut Chan O Cha. Job creation, literally thousands of jobs will happen because of this spending

I tend to agree with you - looking towards the medium/long term would be good for the economy and therefore the people as a whole. However, they also need to deal with the growing problem of real hardship amongst the population.

In addition, announcing these projects is the usual 'talk a lot, do nothing' rubbish.  They can't even fund the projects already underway.  I haven't had an update since March but at that time the government were 5 months and 18 million baht behind on payments for materials to one supplier on just one section of the new Bangkok - Nakhon Ratchasima High Speed Train project. That's from a friend tasked with trying to collect that debt.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, johnmcc6 said:

I just feel for the little guy's who eke out a living for 300 baht a day.

Those are the guys who'll be employed to build these mega projects, thus keeping hundreds of thousands in work and off the dole queues (streets). 

It is exactly at times like these that governments should spend, especially on long-term infrastructure, which, like previous posters have stated, is long over due here. 

11 minutes ago, djayz said:

Those are the guys who'll be employed to build these mega projects, thus keeping hundreds of thousands in work and off the dole queues (streets). 

It is exactly at times like these that governments should spend, especially on long-term infrastructure, which, like previous posters have stated, is long over due here. 

There is a huge train station nearly ready to open in Bang Sue, Bangkok.

I am concerned that with no new train lines actually being built it may be very underused for a long time.

I hear of exciting plans. I do not hear of anything happening. Am I wrong?

If this infrastructure spending is such a good idea in a crisis situation why aren't the politicians in Victoria Australia planning on some big project?  My son works on big projects and says he and 70% of the other construction workers will be on the dole by Easter 2021!

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Redline said:

Thailand does not need high speed rail.  Update all the trains and new dual tracks everywhere.

Exactly, the same as England. Spending 100 billion for a high speed travel over 1-200 miles is ridiculous. Look what happended in Spain with their AVE, a massive white elephant.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Rubbish, i've used SRT trains over thirty years, that Thai engine has been used for the BKK run nearly every time i've travelled......  The only difference is now the restaurant car is deserted......  Along with the railway stations.....   Disaster......... There are some reconditioned cars and engines, but only a few...... 

You need to come up to date, NEW rolling stock was introduced in Nov 2016.

On 9/21/2020 at 8:23 AM, 5633572526 said:

So is the goal to totally bankrupt Thailand before you get run out of office and flee to another country ??

how about putting a little money toward feeding those who can no longer feed themselves instead of buying high speed rail from China.

do you know the word PRIORITIES ????!!!!!