New grand plan to bring tourists back to Thailand in fallout of COVID-19

webfact

18 hours ago, alianware said:

Sad to know that thailand is a country of smile only for those deep pockets. Most of the ASQ hotels they offer are between 40000 - 80000 for 14 nights with only one breakfast. Farang who make long stay holiday have money but not prioritize luxus hotel. That money they could use for shopping or good food. I feel sorry for people who are beeing discriminate through this one side regulation. For my understand, Thailand is pactizing hotel monopol. 

6 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

I had an exchange with TAT yesterday in the UK. No details available yet at all. They took my Emil address and said they would email me when they know more.

I can understand they must be as confused as the tourists are, when there are new rules and regulations for this new visa almost every day.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Trip Hop said:

There are plenty of other countries out there that don't have such ridiculous quarantine rules, with some even offering to take care of you for free if you were to catch Covid whilst there?  If I want to sit in a 5* hotel for 2 weeks and not move, I will go elsewhere where I will receive genuine 5* service and not the shoddy 3*/4* service only that is normally billed as 5* in Thailand.

So which countries are you referring to which (1) do not have "ridiculous quarantine rules"  (2) will pay for your Covid 19 treatment and (3) THEIR 5 star hotels offer 5 star service.

21 hours ago, alianware said:

Sad to know that thailand is a country of smile only for those deep pockets. Most of the ASQ hotels they offer are between 40000 - 80000 for 14 nights with only one breakfast. Farang who make long stay holiday have money but not prioritize luxus hotel. That money they could use for shopping or good food. I feel sorry for people who are beeing discriminate through this one side regulation. 

The other day I read an article in The Thaiger from another wise guy mentioning the next step in opening the country ; next will be for the expats and those on retirement visa because they have high purchasing power. This shows  clearly the real attitude of "the land of smile".

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Trujillo said:

1) If you arrive and at some point you test positive for covid-19 virus (how often do they expect you to check in for testing?), the information says you go to a hospital. Okay, and after you get better, are you deported? You can resume your stay as if nothing had happened? 

2) You are to book and pay in advance a "reservation" for accommodation. Does this mean you can't move around? Before you even get on the plane in your home country you must "declare" your accommodation (and one presumes show proof of booking and payment). What "tourist" who can stay up to 270 days (minimum of 30 days, weirdly) will pre-book a room for that whole time? Are "side trips" say to visit a beach or mountain forbidden? 

It seems there are a lot of real world situations that have not been addressed at all in this ... scheme. 

1) I am only guessing but your hospital todays probably would can't toward the days allowed in your visa. The initial 14 day quarantine does not. However with 270, what would you be worried about?

2) My suggestion would be to prebook the minimum (30 days). You don't need to specify how long you plan to stay. Even if you do, it is non binding as long as you don't overstay your visa.

You cannot have your cake and eat it. Opening will bring infections but, as it has been said a million times before. The percentage of infections is nothing to the entire population and much less comparing the population to death cases. 

Only once the media publishes, in same sized letters and numbers, all figures at the same time and shows the PERCENTAGE to the entire population, then even Somchai will be understanding. 

Tourists swing by for a few days but no tourist will have Thailand dictate them a minimum of 30 days, of which half in a completely overpriced hotel with lousy food*. This has not been understood by hoteliers either, giving those who HAVE to go through this ordeal at least three decent meals a day as well as a feeling of „being with them“ might be the best PR exercise. But that would be - again - thinking longterm, for which there is no word in Thai. 

Yet another example of shooting oneself into their own foot! 

19 hours ago, PEE TEE said:

i think your visa is still valid it would be ok to return and renew before the 18th dec, i do not know what requirements you would need on entry . i would call the thai consulate and ask .   

You obviously dont read much,the entry requirements are well known,there is very little chance that the OP will even be able to contact a consulate,(certain offices have closed,) let alone be able to re enter,as at present people with retirement extensions stranded outside of Thailand,do not fit the present criteria for being allowed entry,even although they have houses,and normally reside in Thailand,but the Bangkok Brainstrust will allow people that are Medical Tourists,and people that buy Elite cards entry. T.I.T.

I will stay at Konrad Prison Hotel in Bangkok.  Government certified, they only charge you 10.000 Bath a night. Together with the flight, insurances tests etc, the first 2 weeks comes at approx. 250.000 Bath.  And during the coming 2 weeks you are one out of 1.200 tourists in the whole country, an amazing lifetime experience ????

• Like 2

On 9/20/2020 at 8:33 PM, petedk said:
On 9/20/2020 at 6:43 PM, impulse said:

I think it's going to be a success, with chartered planeloads of Chinese investors coming down to buy up condos, sign contracts to import Thai produce, and get great deals on distressed businesses.

Genuine tourists?  Not the way it's structured.

I doubt if the Chinese will come. I think they usually book through Chinese agents.

I'd take that bet, and I'd give you odds.  Dollars to donuts, the Chinese agents are already chartering planes and negotiating kickbacks commissions on ASQ's.

If there's money to be made...

On 9/21/2020 at 12:05 AM, Nout said:

Very few Americans come here these days but you are correct about the small town Americans with parochial views whose idea of fun is visiting a mall and find WS den of inequity. They moan because Thailand is not like the USA. I dont know why you have problems with Germans.

I am from a small town in the US. I travel all the time. Not sure where you get your numbers from but stat's show over a million visited Thailand 2019? That would be 1/40 of the total number of tourists visiting Thailand in 2019.

The US is a huge country, Over 37 million US citizens traveled internationally in 2019. And that is not including Canada and Mexico. That means that 1 in every 37 people that traveled internationally visited Thailand.

So what can we take from this analysis? 

https://travel.trade.gov/view/m-2019-O-001/index.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

Also I have never heard anyone moan about Thailand from the US. Except for the obvious!  Pollution, double pricing etc.  The malls in Thailand put the US malls to shame. Malls in the US are dying. 

I would say Thailand is more like how the US used to be! Huge malls, the kids and families visiting them in droves. 

Good luck with the Chinese market:

"As COVID-19 cases continue to surge globally, the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) called for Chinese people to avoid unnecessary outbound travel during the upcoming Mid-Autumn Festival and National Day holidays in newly-issued guidelines.
China is requiring all outbound travellers to undergo a 14-day isolation upon their arrival. Cross-border travelers may therefore be required to spend a total of 28 days in quarantine, if their destination also requires a 14-day isolation period, which will seriously impact their travel experience, the center said. 

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1201719.shtml

• Like 2

On 9/22/2020 at 11:31 PM, garyk said:

I am from a small town in the US. I travel all the time. Not sure where you get your numbers from but stat's show over a million visited Thailand 2019? That would be 1/40 of the total number of tourists visiting Thailand in 2019.

The US is a huge country, Over 37 million US citizens traveled internationally in 2019. And that is not including Canada and Mexico. That means that 1 in every 37 people that traveled internationally visited Thailand.

So what can we take from this analysis? 

https://travel.trade.gov/view/m-2019-O-001/index.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

Also I have never heard anyone moan about Thailand from the US. Except for the obvious!  Pollution, double pricing etc.  The malls in Thailand put the US malls to shame. Malls in the US are dying. 

I would say Thailand is more like how the US used to be! Huge malls, the kids and families visiting them in droves. 

I expect most of the Americans traveling outside their country are GI's...... 55555555