Shocking video!  Dangling electrical cable sparking in the floods in Thailand

webfact

Shocking video!  Dangling electrical cable sparking in the floods in Thailand

1pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Footage of a dangling electrical cable shorting and sparking in flood waters in Ubon Ratchathani in north east Thailand had netizens sharing in their droves. 

TikTok user "sarapao5816" claimed this was outside an air force installation in the city.

Social media users feared for the safety of road users and recounted their own tales of electrocution, reported Sanook. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-09-21

• Sad 2

Meanwhile, exactly what did the "netizens" expect to happen?

Until the problem is reported to the PEA fizzing and popping will continue, any sensible person will see this and give it a wide berth.

Zero hazard to car / truck / bus users, negligable hazard to motorcyclists unless they fall off in the water near the cable.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, stouricks said:

Rather inappropriate music. Something by Sparks would be better, or Electric Light Orchestra, or Shocking Blue!  

Oh I thought it matched quite well. That's the sound of Thailand electrocuting you to the tune of local classics. They ain't playing Killing me softly around these parts. AC/DC Thunderstruck could have worked, though.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Crossy said:

EDIT It seems certain "English" speaking countries use "electrocution" to mean severe electric shock even if not fatal.

Nope. The meaning is exactly the same in all English-speaking countries. It refers to both injury and death, and the vast majority of electrocutions are non-lethal.

That is why, in U.S. states that use it as a form of of execution, the legal sentence is "death by electrocution" rather than simply "electrocution".

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, donnacha said:

Nope. The meaning is exactly the same in all English-speaking countries. It refers to both injury and death, and the vast majority of electrocutions are non-lethal.

We can agree to disagree then.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/electrocution

The meaning has certainly drifted over time, but being from ancient Britain I'll stick with what I was tought ???? 

https://www.electrocuted.com/2018/11/02/electrocution-vs-shock/ (U.S. site)

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

No, I won't agree to disagree on a point of clear fact.

In this case, Cambridge have made an error of omission but, unless you just happened to stumble first upon the one dictionary that supports your mistake and delved no further, you already know that.

The Oxford English Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, Collins, Macmillan, Longman, and every other online dictionary I could find, both UK and American English, agree with the standard definition. Neither you nor the Cambridge boat crew have the power to magic away meanings that have been in common usage for well over a century.

It beggars belief that any native English speaker would not already know this, without even having to look it up. It is one of those things that every literate person just knows from childhood reading.

In the Collins definition, below, there is even a video of a woman who I reckon has probably been electrocuted at some point but it still, just about, alive.

427942917_ScreenShot2020-09-21at11_12_10PM.png.cb8b09cee63d1f597d257c561c687295.png

1620758860_ScreenShot2020-09-21at10_56_52PM.thumb.png.e147a9326fb86b493fcfc1c864227e14.png

1054596847_ScreenShot2020-09-21at11_02_24PM.png.20e53d4a64abf56fe53e9f6cc0120513.png

1588027661_ScreenShot2020-09-21at10_59_28PM.png.dfc8dd1639f3ab761fb4482beae6b836.png

1493888946_ScreenShot2020-09-21at11_01_19PM.png.29e3e8dfe1af9080fc8eb614b1a609ac.png

780439604_ScreenShot2020-09-21at10_55_46PM.png.aff53cba67528fe1a71eaab01daaa341.png

1714616410_ScreenShot2020-09-21at10_54_53PM.png.4e73b12b50b11445a6b8b508acebddfc.png

517267199_ScreenShot2020-09-21at11_35_00PM.png.0ee924388ff35f826ae191a442827f48.png

Edited by donnacha

12 hours ago, Crossy said:

Meanwhile, exactly what did the "netizens" expect to happen?

Until the problem is reported to the PEA fizzing and popping will continue, any sensible person will see this and give it a wide berth.

Zero hazard to car / truck / bus users, negligable hazard to motorcyclists unless they fall off in the water near the cable.

Crossy, you mentioned 'near the cable'.

Does that mean as distance away increases the 'strength' of the electricity flowing in the water lessens more and more?

11 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Crossy, you mentioned 'near the cable'.

Does that mean as distance away increases the 'strength' of the electricity flowing in the water lessens more and more?

Yes, although the definition of "near" would be variable dependant upon the voltage and the purity of the water (Purity? We are talking Thai rain here). 

Assuming a uniform thin film of water the potential between two points (like your arms when getting up from a fall) varies as the square of the distance. So twice as far away would mean one quarter the potential.

If you do get into the unfortunate position of being unavoidably near such a cable try to keep your contact points (hands, feet etc.) close together, some advocate jumping away rather than walking/running. All bets are off if you then grab hold of some grounded metal object (guard rail and the like) as you are then providing a nice solid path to earth through your body.

32 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yes, although the definition of "near" would be variable dependant upon the voltage and the purity of the water (Purity? We are talking Thai rain here). 

Assuming a uniform thin film of water the potential between two points (like your arms when getting up from a fall) varies as the square of the distance. So twice as far away would mean one quarter the potential.

If you do get into the unfortunate position of being unavoidably near such a cable try to keep your contact points (hands, feet etc.) close together, some advocate jumping away rather than walking/running. All bets are off if you then grab hold of some grounded metal object (guard rail and the like) as you are then providing a nice solid path to earth through your body.

Thank you Crossy, as always highly informative.

Last night we had my first blackout from my new RCBO. My daughter was in the shower and when she turned on the hot water, the lights went out. I had taken the attached photo about an hour earlier to send to a friend who was an electrical engineer showing him the new box I was planning to fit to prevent damage from voltage fluctuations. I had rotated the setting from 30 mA to 6 mA for the photo and forgot to turn it back to 30 mA. So after the blackout, I made my daughter leave the shower and I put on rubber boots and went into the shower. My wife then put the main switch on and we closed all the breakers one by one and found that the water heater shown in the attached photo showed the normal red light indicating the built in ELCB was on. I pushed the test button and the red light went off indicating a successful test. So I opened the valve and the yellow power light cam on and the main breaker tripped again with another black out. The breaker was reset and I rotated the RCBO switch to 20 mA position and started the hot water again and the RCBO did not trip any more and I decided it was safe for my daughter to complete her shower since both the RCBO and the ELCB on the heater had been tested and appeared to be functional. So it appears that my 2 year old water heater has a slight electrical leakage. Should I replace the water heater?

received_704258126831175.jpeg

20200909_163337.jpg

1 hour ago, thaisail said:

So it appears that my 2 year old water heater has a slight electrical leakage. Should I replace the water heater?

If it's correctly earthed then I wouldn't replace it at least not yet. You have more than adequate shock protection.

Many of these heaters are "bare wire" and will leak somewhat particularly if the water is a bit conductive (minerals).

Does the heater have a copper or plastic "tank"?

On 9/22/2020 at 7:18 AM, thaisail said:

Last night we had my first blackout from my new RCBO. My daughter was in the shower and when she turned on the hot water, the lights went out. I had taken the attached photo about an hour earlier to send to a friend who was an electrical engineer showing him the new box I was planning to fit to prevent damage from voltage fluctuations. I had rotated the setting from 30 mA to 6 mA for the photo and forgot to turn it back to 30 mA. So after the blackout, I made my daughter leave the shower and I put on rubber boots and went into the shower. My wife then put the main switch on and we closed all the breakers one by one and found that the water heater shown in the attached photo showed the normal red light indicating the built in ELCB was on. I pushed the test button and the red light went off indicating a successful test. So I opened the valve and the yellow power light cam on and the main breaker tripped again with another black out. The breaker was reset and I rotated the RCBO switch to 20 mA position and started the hot water again and the RCBO did not trip any more and I decided it was safe for my daughter to complete her shower since both the RCBO and the ELCB on the heater had been tested and appeared to be functional. So it appears that my 2 year old water heater has a slight electrical leakage. Should I replace the water heater?

received_704258126831175.jpeg

20200909_163337.jpg

We are connecting up the adjustable low and high voltage and high current tripping device. I will need to disconnect the mains from the meter which my electrician wants to do on live wires. I hope he knows how to do this safely. He should wear rubber boots, electrically safe rubber gloves and use screw drivers with insulated handles. The plan would be to then disconnect the 16 mm copper wires where they go into the main breaker shown in my photo to left of the RCBO module. I will then feed the line and neutral wires up through the top of the breaker box and then down into the new box on the left of the main panel. I hope there is enough slack in the overhead above the drywall ceiling so that I can connect those wires up through the top of the breaker box and down into the new box with the clear plastic door. I will then connect those cables to the top of the 63 amp air breaker shown in the photo. 

I will then add two small jumper cables 16 mm copper to the bottom of the Chinese Voltage and current programmable safety cutout. The cables would then go up the inside of the box and out through the top of the new box and then back down to the main breaker inside the main panel and connect to the line and neutral input to the main breaker. We can then open both the main breaker in the RBBO panel and the new 63 amp breaker in the new box. We would then reconnect the mains to the electric meter by the main road. I would the close the breaker before my new voltage and current safety breaker and the red led lights should come on and I can start programming the trip settings. 

Please can you advise me what the recommended settings should be for low voltage trip, high voltage trip? High Currant trip? Timer setting in seconds to reconnect the mains to the house?

In my area we have a steady voltage of 220 volts except when we have frequent blackouts from the weather. When we are blacked out I can still get a residual voltage of about 40 volts on my meter and the LED indicator light on the Daikin double inverter Air conditioners are dimly lit. I am hoping that this safety switch will eliminate this residual voltage. I think it must be coming from some battery inverters that are installed incorrectly in some of the remote farms in our area. These inverters must be back feeding into the main grid. 

I would also like your opinion about the way this safety trip is being wired and if you think there may be a better way to wire this up. Will this device replace a good surge arrestor for lightning?

On 9/22/2020 at 4:50 AM, Crossy said:

We can agree to disagree then.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/electrocution

The meaning has certainly drifted over time, but being from ancient Britain I'll stick with what I was tought ???? 

https://www.electrocuted.com/2018/11/02/electrocution-vs-shock/ (U.S. site)

I was taught it was TAUGHT !    LOL

Isn't English a bitch. BOUGH  = Bow (But not as in Bow Tie), TOUGH = Tuff, THOUGH = Thoa, THROUGH = Threw, THOUGHT = Thawt, COULD = Cudd, 

TROUGH = Troff, too many more!    lol

Isn't English a bitch?

Edited by stouricks
  • Haha 2