KLM and Air France have dropped Bangkok

NanLaew

36 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

There are hundreds of options for flying from Thailand to the U.S. Thousands of people have flown back.

I'd recommend QR, or KE. Both have daily flights. QR has the best COVID policy, and you can add on an AA or B6 segment, and they service the most cities in the U.S. from DOH. KE is good for JFK, partnership with DL, they have a daily departure BKK-ICN.

Good to know. Most threads here would indicate that air travel to the US is a major headache and even their Embassy is issuing letters to that effect to support visa extension with Thai immigration. Or maybe they aren't and they are advising "stranded" Americans seeking the letter to try a bit harder first?

36 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Not really a trick. You can't fly back to Thailand so it seems weird to look for a round-trip ticket?

You want to fly from Thailand to where?

Weird to me are Covid flight restrictions aka the 'new normal'. You can fly back to Thailand but agree that the Thai Embassy books that (return) flight. I guess that's not worth mentioning specifically on an airlines website. It's easier for the likes of KLM just to show on their global route map that BKK is not a current far east destination although you can buy o/w tickets to depart from there.

I'm sorted already. Thanks.

Edited by NanLaew

On 9/21/2020 at 2:48 PM, treetops said:

The KLM ones seemed to disappear around a week ago as mentioned here:

Lots of confusing and incorrect information here. You can book BKK-AMS (but NOT the other way, AMS-BKK is cargo only) in, for instance, October and November (I just picked a few random days on the KLM website,) but fare is very high (around 34,000 Baht. Finnair, for instance, is much cheaper but you have to transfer in Helsinki and check that this does not result in problems with inter European traffice restrictions). Other fable that so many flights are cancelled: according to flightaware.com ( a useful site to check how long flights take, if it was late or cancelled, etc)  there has been a KLM flight BKK-AMS every day from Sept. 11th to September 23rd (it does not show a longer history unless you register). These start in either KL or Manilla.

9 minutes ago, cormanr7 said:

Lots of confusing and incorrect information here. You can book BKK-AMS (but NOT the other way, AMS-BKK is cargo only) in, for instance, October and November (I just picked a few random days on the KLM website,) but fare is very high (around 34,000 Baht. Finnair, for instance, is much cheaper but you have to transfer in Helsinki and check that this does not result in problems with inter European traffice restrictions). Other fable that so many flights are cancelled: according to flightaware.com ( a useful site to check how long flights take, if it was late or cancelled, etc)  there has been a KLM flight BKK-AMS every day from Sept. 11th to September 23rd (it does not show a longer history unless you register). These start in either KL or Manilla.

As the OP, I admit to starting the confusion with the thread title based on looking for round-trip flight options.

Maybe too late to ask a moderator to modify the thread title?

KLM and Air France selling only one-way fares FROM Bangkok

10 minutes ago, cormanr7 said:

Lots of confusing and incorrect information here. You can book BKK-AMS (but NOT the other way, AMS-BKK is cargo only)

That is correct as of today, but prior to just over a week ago, flights from AMS-BKK-XXX were carrying Bangkok bound passengers, complete with COE, Covid Test, ASQ etc for entry to Thailand.

There is at least one detailed trip review here on this forum.

As of now, Emirates flight EK384 is the only one I'm aware of outside the Embassy organised flights providing this service, although there may be others coming from the East that I'm not familiar with.

15 hours ago, NanLaew said:

What passenger load did you estimate for your KUL-BKK-AMS flight?

Less than 1/3rd full. Seating in economy was 3-3-3.  Plenty of room to stretch out.

KL to BKK given a snack and a litre bottle of water.

BKK to AMS had a hot meal shortly after take off, with one beer or small wine.

Then given a large plastc bag with 5 apples, bags of crisps, Oreos and a couple of litres of water.

No other service during the flight.

Mask to be worn at all times, except eating or drinking.

Total from KL to AMS was a bit over 15 hours.

Edited by BlueScouse
spelling