Is Diesel being rebranded at PTT stations?

AndyAndyAndy

On 9/22/2020 at 11:12 AM, fredob43 said:

Thanks for the info. I have always put premium in my lump. Regardless of what Shell put in I still get more sharpness from the engine. Never worry about economy as my 2.8 Tuna is great for that. On a run it's returning 6.1lt = 100km. Not bad for a tank. And miles better than my last 3lt Tuna that was around 11lt =100km. 

Cant get Esso where I live it's PTT or Shell.

As I have said I have loads of the PTT stuff in my tank once nearly empty I'll fill up again with Shell V and see if the sharpness comes back???

To give you an idea I have 3 setting on the gear box Eco/Normal/Sport. I always have it in Eco mode but to get the same sharpness as I get from V power I have to put it in normal mode. But it does rev more & use more fuel. Seems the extra cost levels out in the end. Might even be better.

16.3 KPL / 38.5 MPG in a 2.8l Fortuner?

Hilarious 

5 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

16.3 KPL / 38.5 MPG in a 2.8l Fortuner?

Hilarious 

It quite obvious you have no idea about the 2.8lt Tuna. I have tested it several times and the comp: in the lump works out the same as the fuel I put in when checked with KM done. I quite often do a 1k+ run and I can do that without any problems on a full tank 76lt and still have lots left over. I can get even better MPG if I stay at 90kph in cruse control but normally travel due to the cameras at 110kph. That's when it returns 6.1. Suggest if you have never driven a 2.8 Tuna don't just guess. As it'll just make you look stupid.

Edited by fredob43

13 hours ago, fredob43 said:

It quite obvious you have no idea about the 2.8lt Tuna. I have tested it several times and the comp: in the lump works out the same as the fuel I put in when checked with KM done. I quite often do a 1k+ run and I can do that without any problems on a full tank 76lt and still have lots left over. I can get even better MPG if I stay at 90kph in cruse control but normally travel due to the cameras at 110kph. That's when it returns 6.1. Suggest if you have never driven a 2.8 Tuna don't just guess. As it'll just make you look stupid.

I own one, and track the mileage. Below is the last few months. I was stuck in the US March-August. 

423005382_tunadata.JPG.4f76b288611af541d965cccab910f851.JPG

Where's your data?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Yes you can nanny them but our chaps get 10 ish on all 4 new ones,and we are happy with that little man. Why do you always argue over fa

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I own one, and track the mileage. Below is the last few months. I was stuck in the US March-August. 

423005382_tunadata.JPG.4f76b288611af541d965cccab910f851.JPG

Where's your data?

I don't do a chart don't see any need to do one. I don't know why you get such bad mileage. Are you in Power mode all the time??? or even traveling say in BKK traffic full time. Your reporting similar to my old 3lt with 4 speed auto box Tuna. That used to drink fuel.

I did say on a run, where I travel at 110kph in ECO mode C/C as much as poss: I don't get that round town or in traffic. Then it returns around the low 7, even less in BKK traffic. But that's expected.

It's taken me weeks to get rid of the PTT fuel I have, arrived back with well over 3/4 of a tank full, and it's still saying it's half full, use it every day for small 4/50km in town trips, also done some 100+km runs. I am light on the peddle though. Never race away from lights, also slow well before any traffic. Sorry I don't know the answer.    

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

I don't do a chart don't see any need to do one.

I don't "do a chart" either, I just save the data so I have a record, and so that people can't blow smoke up my a** about what great mileage they get.

I include the brand of the fuel, and can do an offset-sort and separate mileage by brand, so people can't blow smoke up my a** about how much better one fuel is than another. 

It's also nice to have REAL data so I don't have to make stuff up and look like a fool. 

• Haha 1

Well, last time I was in Thailand our 2.8 Fortuner was doing well over 30mpg, those figures from yellowtail are awful, but as always it depends on driving conditions and driving style. Not much of our running is city driving.

Edited by Tuvoc
  • Confused 1

On 9/21/2020 at 6:54 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Extremely confusing and exactly against the flow.

Lost in translation or totally clueless Toyota staff?

The less "bio" (B) the less problems to be expected with older engines.

Since when have you been using B20? It's just a few months that it has been introduced and seems most owners are afraid to use it although it is the cheapest.

Done away? No, introduced.

I bought the truck one year age this month. At the filler neck is a label that says B 20 compatible. Been using it all year until PT (the green station) stopped selling it. I then noticed PTT also stopped selling it. Switched to B 10 but Toyota said don't use it. Don't know about B 7

3 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

Well, last time I was in Thailand our 2.8 Fortuner was doing well over 30mpg, those figures from yellowtail are awful, but as always it depends on driving conditions and driving style. Not much of our running is city driving.

Don't forget the use of the aircon, adjust to what temperature, a difference between day and night.

In my old Fortuner 3ltr turbo I can drive 12km with 1 ltr., aircon on 24.5 degree but again what is the temperature outside?

After using PTT years ago. I got smart and haven't used it since. Coked throttle bodies and plugs taught me the true cost of their fuels. Ever since I've used Shell with Caltex being a very rare fallback if I mess up.

Wouldn't be surprised to learn that the standard for Bio-Diesel contamination has been altered across the board. A reduction in contamination isn't a bad thing, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, TPUBON said:

then noticed PTT also stopped selling it.

This is extremely different from all observations here.

B20 has been introduced at many if not all PTT stations some months ago.

Accompanied by some media hype.

I can't remember that B20 has been sold before this year.

The smaller stations have kicked out Benzene (pure) to make room for this yet another Diesel variant.

Some PTTs now sell four different Diesel variants. Totally silly.

Even the mom&pop pump at our highway has introduced B20 as it attracts with lowest price.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Interesting to see the claimed fuel economy figures for the 2.8L Fortuner.  Toyota quotes 12.9 km/L = 7.8 L/100km, which is higher than some here insist that they get.  My wife is looking at getting one, so I would be interested to see just how well these claims stack up.  The best figures from an actual test that I've found are from this one in India:

image.png.2a624630bc8f24c2a861e84091298b11.png

https://www.outlookindia.com/website/story/automobiles-toyota-fortuner-diesel-mileage-claimed-vs-real/327814

The combined 10.97 km/L = 9.1 L/100km is pretty much what we get from our Revo farm truck, with the same engine, so I have my doubts about 6.1 L/100km, especially given the best highway efficiency seen here was 13.19 km/L = 7.6 L/100km.

Since the Fortuner actually tells you its fuel usage on the dashboard display, it would be a relatively simple matter for anyone asserting better than advertised figures to snap a picture to prove their claims.

image.png.2221689cece3f25686ca12d312a8a554.png

4 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

Interesting to see the claimed fuel economy figures for the 2.8L Fortuner.  Toyota quotes 12.9 km/L = 7.8 L/100km, which is higher than some here insist that they get.  My wife is looking at getting one, so I would be interested to see just how well these claims stack up.  The best figures from an actual test that I've found are from this one in India:

image.png.2a624630bc8f24c2a861e84091298b11.png

https://www.outlookindia.com/website/story/automobiles-toyota-fortuner-diesel-mileage-claimed-vs-real/327814

The combined 10.97 km/L = 9.1 L/100km is pretty much what we get from our Revo farm truck, with the same engine, so I have my doubts about 6.1 L/100km, especially given the best highway efficiency seen here was 13.19 km/L = 7.6 L/100km.

Since the Fortuner actually tells you its fuel usage on the dashboard display, it would be a relatively simple matter for anyone asserting better than advertised figures to snap a picture to prove their claims.

image.png.2221689cece3f25686ca12d312a8a554.png

You can trick the usage gage short term to make it look good or bad. I drive a lot in the city. If you look at my data above, you can tell when I'm highway driving as it jumps up over 10KPL. Heavy traffic with a lot of idling, it can drop down below 9. 

My wife loves the Fortuna, and while I like it okay, I was disappointed with the power and cabin space. I like the way it looks and it drives nice. We have the white with black roof TRD version. I do really like the black & red interior, that's why we went with the TRD. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ballpoint said:

As Y/T said you can cheat it. It's also not as easy as it sounds to take a snap of dash once you stop. As the gauge will start to move within seconds. The only way to do it and get a correct reading is whilst moving.

I said in a previous post I get around the low 7 in town. Well I did just that yesterday. This morning tried to take the snap below. As it wasn't moving it started to change almost at once. (you can try it yourself if you have a Tuna) But did get one showing what I got round town on my trip yesterday. That was using the Aircon: set at 25c half power.

My next long trip of some 300km I'll be doing in a few weeks if I can I try and take another one, this time whilst moving. And I won't cheat you cant tell that by the R/C and speedo.

IMGP0002.JPG

Edited by fredob43
  • Haha 1

Well i had an interesting experience on friday at my local PTT station which i've been using for years. I have a 2007 diesel Fort and i pulled up at the ordinary diesel pump and the attendant showed me a leaflet showing that ordinary diesel users were now being directed to the B7 diesel and she requested that i move to the B7 pump.

When i said to her i want the ordinary diesel she frowned and insisted i move to the B7, well i just told her to put the ordinary diesel in after all said and done i've been using it for the past 13 years.

I think i realised why they wanted me to move to the B7, the ordinary diesel was 18.60 bht per litre and the B7 was 21.60 bht per litre ????  

27 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Well i had an interesting experience on friday at my local PTT station which i've been using for years. I have a 2007 diesel Fort and i pulled up at the ordinary diesel pump and the attendant showed me a leaflet showing that ordinary diesel users were now being directed to the B7 diesel and she requested that i move to the B7 pump.

When i said to her i want the ordinary diesel she frowned and insisted i move to the B7, well i just told her to put the ordinary diesel in after all said and done i've been using it for the past 13 years.

I think i realised why they wanted me to move to the B7, the ordinary diesel was 18.60 bht per litre and the B7 was 21.60 bht per litre ????  

Diesel is 21.29 today, and I believe has been B7 for ages already, while B10 is 18.29.

You may want to get your facts straight before you blame others

In fact there seems to be no company in Thailand that has a B7 pump

Edited by Susco
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Susco said:

Diesel is 21.29 today, and I believe has been B7 for ages already, while B10 is 18.29.

http://udon-news.com/en/main/fuel-prices-in-thailand

You might not be able to read what the advertised price of fuel is on the PTT display board at the said garage but i can, now just ? and annoy someone else.

Edited by Pumpuynarak
  • Sad 2

On 9/21/2020 at 11:14 AM, fredob43 said:

I for 1 will not be using PTT anymore. I put a post it the other week about the drop in power when using PTT Premium Ver Shell V power. Now I see that their premium is B7 Premium what's going on??? Question Have they changed the price.

Ah yes, I recall the thread claiming that the diesel that's 30% more expensive makes one's car go xx% faster.

Just now, Susco said:

You better remove that foot from your mouth

image.png.fdddd7e85ead21de1a502c6a4a4d9f61.png

You obviously don't realise or are just plain thick and argumentative to understand that PTT garages here in Thailand sell fuel at differing prices, i've witnessed this fact all over Thailand on my travels, now just ???? ???

You will hear no more from me......

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

You obviously don't realise or are just plain thick and argumentative to understand that PTT garages here in Thailand sell fuel at differing prices, i've witnessed this fact all over Thailand on my travels, now just ???? ???

So your pump sells Diesel at a 3 Baht discount, and bio fuel at a premium?

????????????????????????

But yes prices differ in regios, in the provinces they sell at a higher price than official because of the transport involved, not at a 15% discount

Edited by Susco

14 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Ah yes, I recall the thread claiming that the diesel that's 30% more expensive makes one's car go xx% faster.

If your referring to me. Suggest you go back and look, I didn't say I went faster. I stated that it seemed the engine has more sparkle/power. I don't think that's quite the same thing. Still using PTT premium and it seems flat in comparison. Not that I notice to much as I'm not one for sticking my foot down anyway.

9 hours ago, Susco said:
10 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

In fact there seems to be no company in Thailand that has a B7 pump

9 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:
9 hours ago, Susco said:

You better remove that foot from your mouth

image.png.fdddd7e85ead21de1a502c6a4a4d9f61.png

Hey my best friend, I have some news for you, though it took me quite some time to find it.

ALL REGULAR DIESEL in Thailand is B7 since 2014, and sold at 21.29 Baht per litre since yesterday. And B10 is sold at 18.29 Baht per litre. And trust me a pumpholder will not give 3 Baht discount, because if he would earn that per litre, everyone ( including me) would open a BIG gas station right away.

Anyway, here it is straight from the horse mouth, hope you still can remove that foot without surgical need.

https://www.pnnl.gov/main/publications/external/technical_reports/PNNL-26916.pdf

Starting February 1, 2008, the government mandated the “one-grade” diesel policy requiring all high-speed diesel fuel sold in the country to contain 2% biodiesel, and thus there was no more product called B2. The mandatory blending of biodiesel in diesel production has been imposed since then but the blending requirement has been adjusted over the years. The government imposes and strictly monitors that all petroleum refineries comply with the biodiesel blending requirement. To increase the use of biodiesel, amandate on B5 biodiesel blend was implemented in 2012, and B7 (7 percent biodiesel and 93 percent petroleum diesel) mandate was implemented in January 2014.

<snip>

Due to a drought affecting crude palm oil production, the government lowered the mandatory biodiesel blending rates 3 times in 2016, from B7 to B5 in July 2016, and to B3 in August 2016, but increased to B5 in November 2016. Thus in the past the average mandatory biodiesel blending varied from 3-7

percent. Since May 8, 2017, the mandatory blending rate returned to B7.

Now as from November ALL REGULAR DIESEL in Thailand will be B10.

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1

Driving style affects fuel consumption a lot. Some folk drive automatics on the brakes half the time.

Fredo43b is achieving such good figures due to his driving style, not exceeding 90kph (56mph .... the speed hgv's/semi's in the UK and Europe are restricted to) using CC, A/C not too cold, looking and planning well ahead. Many drivers when on freeways who do not use CC constantly slow & accelerate. I don't know fredo, just going by what he has explained. Though 6/100 is 47mpg (imperial gallon) which is exceptionally good.

2 identical vehicles rolling off the production line within hours of each other will use different amounts of fuel. Engines vary.

Premium diesel is exactly the same as regular diesel up until it is loaded to the road tank whereupon it has more additives added. Using premium diesel all the time is a bit of waste of money, 1 tank in 4 is adequate.

Note that where Yellowtail gives long term mpg figures he's referring to US gallons, only 3.79lts to the gallon. UK equivalent 26.8mpg still very poor. I've just done 500 miles in a new Euro 6 1.9 D-max auto pulling a 20' tri-axle trailer, loaded for half the trip, cruising at 100kph and averaged 27.

@Pumpuynarak Ordinary diesel is now, or soon will be, B10, see leaflet earlier in the thread.

• Thanks 1