Is Diesel being rebranded at PTT stations?

AndyAndyAndy

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

How do I find out if my 2010 ranger can take B10? If they are going to call it diesel I guarantee someone is going to put B10 in the tank.

http://www.doeb.go.th/data/bio/total_B10.pdf

Looks like 2011 onwards are compatible with B10.

Lots of cars on the road should not use B10 it's really unfortunate they decided about this renaming.

2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

How do I find out if my 2010 ranger can take B10? If they are going to call it diesel I guarantee someone is going to put B10 in the tank.

Yes as of November B10 will be called diesel.

Anyway you are already using B7 for the past 6 years, as that is what is called diesel since, and if that doesn't give you problems, I assume B10 will be fine for you

8 minutes ago, Susco said:

Yes as of November B10 will be called diesel.

Anyway you are already using B7 for the past 6 years, as that is what is called diesel since, and if that doesn't give you problems, I assume B10 will be fine for you

That is an incorrect assumption and a very bad advice. Regular use of B10 in a car which is approved for up to B7 will result in damage to engine and/or fuel system.

3 minutes ago, rambling said:

That is an incorrect assumption and a very bad advice. Regular use of B10 in a car which is approved for up to B7 will result in damage to engine and/or fuel system.

I think the bad advice is you claiming there are cars that are approved up to B7 and not B10.

You have a source or list of cars that are approved to B7 ONLY? I don't think there is such a list, because if they are approved to any form of Bio Diesel, they will be minimum B10 approved.

I will stand corrected if you can post any list of recent cars that says B7 maximum.

2 minutes ago, Susco said:

I think the bad advice is you claiming there are cars that are approved up to B7 and not B10.

You have a source or list of cars that are approved to B7 ONLY? I don't think there is such a list, because if they are approved to any form of Bio Diesel, they will be minimum B10 approved.

I will stand corrected if you can post any list of recent cars that says B7 maximum.

Fair request. Please see post #62 above you for a list of cars are approved for B10 by the manufacturer.

For my car, a 2012 model equipped with N57 engine the recommendations by the manufacturer are as follows:

BMW and MINI cars with diesel engines.
Apart from item 1. At the moment, such as N47, N57, etc.
In an emergency where Biodiesel cannot be found
Level up to B7 can be filled with diesel fuel.
Normal speed rotation (B10) can be temporarily as far as
Only necessary. B10 oil is not recommended
Continuously because it affects the oil supply system
Fuel and equipment in the engine in the case of use
On a regular basis Which may not be covered under
Conditions for car quality guarantee

Original:

1. รถยนต์ BMW และ MINI ใหม่ที่จำหน่าย
ในปัจจุบันรวมถึงรถยนต์ BMW และ MINI ที่แสดง
ในตารางนี้ที่ใช้เครื่องยนต์ดีเซลที่ขึ้นต้นด้วยรหัส
B37, B47 และ B57 เท่านั้นที่สามารถใช้น้ำมัน
ดีเซลหมุนเร็วธรรมดา (B10) ได้ โดยไม่กระทบต่อ
เงื่อนไขการรับประกันคุณภาพรถยนต์
2. รถยนต์ BMW และ MINI ที่ใช้เครื่องยนต์ดีเซล
นอกเหนือจากข้อ 1. ในขณะนี้ เช่น N47, N57 ฯลฯ
ไม่รองรับน้ำมัน Biodiesel ประเภท B10
โดยรถยนต์กลุ่มนี้สามารถรองรับน้ำมัน Biodiesel
ระดับไม่เกิน B7 เท่านั้น
3. รถยนต์ BMW และ MINI ที่ใช้เครื่องยนต์ดีเซล
นอกเหนือจากข้อ 1. ในขณะนี้เช่น N47, N57 ฯลฯ
ในกรณีฉุกเฉินที่ไม่สามารถหาน้ำมัน Biodiesel
ระดับไม่เกิน B7 เติมได้นั้น สามารถเติมน้ำมันดีเซล
หมุนเร็วธรรมดา (B10) ได้เป็นการชั่วคราวเท่าที่
จำเป็นเท่านั้น ไม่แนะนำให้ใช้น้ำมัน B10
อย่างต่อเนื่องเพราะมีผลต่อระบบจ่ายน้ำมัน
เชื้อเพลิง และอุปกรณ์ในเครื่องยนต์ ในกรณีใช้
ต่อเนื่องเป็นประจำ ซึ่งอาจไม่ถูกครอบคลุมภายใต้

12 minutes ago, rambling said:

Fair request. Please see post #62 above you for a list of cars are approved for B10 by the manufacturer.

For my car, a 2012 model equipped with N57 engine the recommendations by the manufacturer are as follows:

BMW and MINI cars with diesel engines.
Apart from item 1. At the moment, such as N47, N57, etc.
In an emergency where Biodiesel cannot be found
Level up to B7 can be filled with diesel fuel.
Normal speed rotation (B10) can be temporarily as far as
Only necessary. B10 oil is not recommended
Continuously because it affects the oil supply system
Fuel and equipment in the engine in the case of use
On a regular basis Which may not be covered under
Conditions for car quality guarantee

Original:

1. รถยนต์ BMW และ MINI ใหม่ที่จำหน่าย
ในปัจจุบันรวมถึงรถยนต์ BMW และ MINI ที่แสดง
ในตารางนี้ที่ใช้เครื่องยนต์ดีเซลที่ขึ้นต้นด้วยรหัส
B37, B47 และ B57 เท่านั้นที่สามารถใช้น้ำมัน
ดีเซลหมุนเร็วธรรมดา (B10) ได้ โดยไม่กระทบต่อ
2. รถยนต์ BMW และ MINI ที่ใช้เครื่องยนต์ดีเซล
นอกเหนือจากข้อ 1. ในขณะนี้ เช่น N47, N57 ฯลฯ
ไม่รองรับน้ำมัน Biodiesel ประเภท B10
โดยรถยนต์กลุ่มนี้สามารถรองรับน้ำมัน Biodiesel
ระดับไม่เกิน B7 เท่านั้น
3. รถยนต์ BMW และ MINI ที่ใช้เครื่องยนต์ดีเซล
นอกเหนือจากข้อ 1. ในขณะนี้เช่น N47, N57 ฯลฯ
ในกรณีฉุกเฉินที่ไม่สามารถหาน้ำมัน Biodiesel
ระดับไม่เกิน B7 เติมได้นั้น สามารถเติมน้ำมันดีเซล
หมุนเร็วธรรมดา (B10) ได้เป็นการชั่วคราวเท่าที่
จำเป็นเท่านั้น ไม่แนะนำให้ใช้น้ำมัน B10
อย่างต่อเนื่องเพราะมีผลต่อระบบจ่ายน้ำมัน
เชื้อเพลิง และอุปกรณ์ในเครื่องยนต์ ในกรณีใช้
ต่อเนื่องเป็นประจำ ซึ่งอาจไม่ถูกครอบคลุมภายใต้

Thanks for that.

I did a Google and found that BMW raised that issue with the Malaysian government in 2015, because there B10 would become common diesel from October that year.

So since this is 5 year already, how did they sort it in Malaysia?

2 minutes ago, Susco said:

Thanks for that.

I did a Google and found that BMW raised that issue with the Malaysian government in 2015, because there B10 would become common diesel from October that year.

So since this is 5 year already, how did they sort it in Malaysia?

I am not sure how it was handled there but I believe they would have approved it here if they could because all manufacturers are under pressure to support this government initiative (in support of Palm farmers).

If you look at that PDF it says: "List of vehicle models certified by vehicle manufacturers to be able to use B10 high speed diesel oil". It is not a very long list, and has comments and disclaimers on specific engine models for which they're showing check mark under the right most column titled "B10 can be used".

These are more recent news items from this year from Malaysia as they introduce and promote B20:

https://www.piston.my/2020/02/20/biodiesel-upgraded-to-b20-from-today-but-b7-will-still-be-available-for-euro5-diesel/

https://www.wapcar.my/news/malaysia-begins-sale-of-b20-biodiesel-what-cars-can-use-b20-should-you-fuel-up-with-b20-1340

Generally from what I read the message is that people will need to check on compatibility for anything above B7.

For example Ford:

"The newer Ford Ranger and Ford Everest with 2.0-litre turbodiesel engines (single and bi-turbo variants) can run on B20. Older models with 2.2-litre and 3.2-litre Duratorq engines however, will need an upgraded B20-compliant fuel filter, which can be installed at any Ford authorised service centres. Otherwise, it is recommended that owners fuel up with Euro 5 B7 biodiesel.

All other diesel powered Ford vehicles (including the older Focus TDCi) should use fuel up Euro 5 B7 biodiesel. "

Interestingly, support for B20 could be retrofitted to some models, but without this upgrade they recommend to stick to B7 - not even B10. The 3.2 litre Duratorq mentioned  was fitted from 2011 - 2019 in Ford Ranger, some Everest and some Mazda BT-50.

I was referring to the mention of a B20 compliant fuel filter in post #68...I mis-understand...it does seem to happen a lot now-a-days.......555

Yes, I also read earlier, and remembered!! that it is compatible with B10.

12 hours ago, Lancashirelad said:

Driving style affects fuel consumption a lot. Some folk drive automatics on the brakes half the time.

Fredo43b is achieving such good figures due to his driving style, not exceeding 90kph (56mph .... the speed hgv's/semi's in the UK and Europe are restricted to) using CC, A/C not too cold, looking and planning well ahead. Many drivers when on freeways who do not use CC constantly slow & accelerate. I don't know fredo, just going by what he has explained. Though 6/100 is 47mpg (imperial gallon) which is exceptionally good.

2 identical vehicles rolling off the production line within hours of each other will use different amounts of fuel. Engines vary.

Premium diesel is exactly the same as regular diesel up until it is loaded to the road tank whereupon it has more additives added. Using premium diesel all the time is a bit of waste of money, 1 tank in 4 is adequate.

Note that where Yellowtail gives long term mpg figures he's referring to US gallons, only 3.79lts to the gallon. UK equivalent 26.8mpg still very poor. I've just done 500 miles in a new Euro 6 1.9 D-max auto pulling a 20' tri-axle trailer, loaded for half the trip, cruising at 100kph and averaged 27.

@Pumpuynarak Ordinary diesel is now, or soon will be, B10, see leaflet earlier in the thread.

My long term average is only based on about the last 20,000Km, my wife drove it before that. 

So in the last 20,835Km (12,946mi.) I used 2,165l (573 US Gal) which is 9.62 km/l or 22.63 MPG (or 27.17 using imperial gallons)

My 3l AT Hilander got a little better mileage than the 'tuna and seemed to have more power. It's sweet-spot for mileage was about 120KPH. 

I spent 18 years driving back and forth from Kabinburi to Bangkok at least once a week and often several times a week. I have always tracked my mileage, and I would sometimes drive a particular fuel brand exclusively for several months at a time to see if there were any significant difference. I never noticed any significant difference in performance, and I would realize only slight differences in mileage, the most consistent and significant using V-Power, which yielded something less than a 2% improvement over cheap diesel. There was one brand of regular diesel that did very well, but I could not use it often enough to get good data. 

Incidentally, the last vehicle I owned in the US was a '99 GMC Sierra with a 4.8l V8 and it always got 17mpg and sometimes as high as 20mpg. 

26 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Fredo43b is achieving such good figures due to his driving style, not exceeding 90kph (56mph .... the speed hgv's/semi's in the UK and Europe are restricted to) using CC, A/C not too cold, looking and planning well ahead. Many drivers when on freeways who do not use CC constantly slow & accelerate. I don't know fredo, just going by what he has explained. Though 6/100 is 47mpg (imperial gallon) which is exceptionally good

Slight error. If I travel at 90 kph I get even better figures than the 6.1 stated. 6.1 is what I get using C/control in Eco mode at an average speed of 110kph. Most of my long runs are on the A/R 1/32. The A/R 1/32 now has lots of cameras going any faster and I Will/Do get Lots of tickets. Hence the 110kph. It's a real pain in the Butt as 90% of the time there is little or no traffic.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lancashirelad said:

@yellowtail. If you put your Fortuner in sport mode and really gun it, does it emit black smoke from the exhaust?

I would have to check that. I don't really get on it, and when you start it I think it defaults to eco. It's always in eco when I drive it. It also defaults to the POS run-stop PITA on and you have to remember to turn it off every time you start it. 

11 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I just discovered I've been putting it in my older Vigo without knowing it.

Last week I pulled into a PTT I have never fueled at before. Pulled up to the pump marked diesel and the attendant asked if I wanted ordinary diesel, yes that's want I want. He told me to move over to the B7 pump. I asked him what this pump was he told me B10. As I sat the next island over fueling up I heard the attendant have the same conversation with two other pickups that pulled up to the same diesel pump.

Yesterday I was at our local PTT that I normally use and asked about the pump marked diesel and the attendant confirmed that it was B10 and if I wanted ordinary diesel I needed to use the B7 pump. I didn't think to ask him when they made the switch. I've been feeling like the truck has been sluggish when passing other vehicles and now I wonder if it had to do with using B10.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2020 at 10:27 AM, Lancashirelad said:

@yellowtail. If you put your Fortuner in sport mode and really gun it, does it emit black smoke from the exhaust?

Do the Fortuners in Thailand have a DPF ?  If they do then this simply shouldn't happen ?

6 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Do the Fortuners in Thailand have a DPF ?  If they do then this simply shouldn't happen ?

I have use Sports/Power mode several times when overtaking and they NEVER smoke. Regardless of how hard you put your foot down. Mind you they will use up lots of fuel. But for the odd time I use it it's minimal fuel wise. Just handy if you want to get passed things rapidly.