90 day reporting (and other "services") moved

Anybody know why immigration in Bangkok moved the 90 day "service" from Changwattana to Muang Thong Thani? Aside from trying to make it even more inconvenient for us to get there that is. They have people queuing up in the parking lot there(!?). 

Was at Changwattana this morning (didn't know they had moved ????) and the place was practically empty, which is to be expected with the times we live in. 

I simply can't figure out why they moved. 

• Haha 1

If you had been at CW a few months ago expect you would understand - there were thousands in queue.  The move has greatly helped reduce the crowds and allowed much better social distancing.  The extension building at MTT works on appointments only which also helps greatly.  There just was not enough room at Chiang Watanna, even with immigration taking up most of the first floor open area for queues the actual work space could not increase.  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

If you had been at CW a few months ago expect you would understand - there were thousands in queue.  The move has greatly helped reduce the crowds and allowed much better social distancing.  The extension building at MTT works on appointments only which also helps greatly.  There just was not enough room at Chiang Watanna, even with immigration taking up most of the first floor open area for queues the actual work space could not increase.  

Ah, that makes sense. 

Must say though, using the parking lot (at the new place) as a waiting area isn't cool. 

After today's trip, I've decided to do future reporting online. Let's see if I can figure that out. ????

Thanks for the explanation. 

Hi Everyone, Just as an update report.

I just did a 90-day reporting this week in the afternoon. I use the very efficient online booking schedule here ????:
http://203.151.166.132/immigrant_queue/booking/

On arrival, 30 mins before my scheduled appointment, they had the full booking list, with names & times & found my booking immediately.

Once they received all my forms needed, I was put in the lineup with about 8 in front of me. From the time that I completed my all my forms, to exiting the building with everything completed was about 30-40 minutes.

Getting there was more challenging, as most Taxis don't know that immigration has split to that location.
Better to tell drivers the POLICE STATION... Which is what it's known as for long time already.

Hope this helps other... 

As to why Immo/CW moved some services to MTT:  I asked a (seemingly) knowledgeable Immo officer at CW a few months ago, and he said that the plan is to move all of Immigration Division 1 to that complex of buildings in MTT.  So this is a work in progress.

One question I have is this:  Now that Bangkok folk have to do 90-day address reporting (TM47) at MTT, do you also need an appointment?

Or can you just walk in to do the 90-day report as was the case before at Counter A at Immo/CW?

I cannot do the 90-day report on-line because I haven't entered the country since renewing my passport in 2014 -- hence I'm not in their databse for that service. 

Plus, I don't like the postal approach since that means mailing your original receipt of the last 90-day report.  I prefer to keep that in my passport at all times.

Advice please, from anyone who has recently done a 90-day address report at MTT:  Appointment or no appointment required?

Thanks

1.  No appointment required for 90 day reports.

2.  Try online - some people are reporting access they did not expect.

3.  No reason to fear mailing receipt.  It is already in computer if ever questioned.  And you send registered mail so have receipt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TaoNow said:

Advice please, from anyone who has recently done a 90-day address report at MTT:  Appointment or no appointment required?

As stated in the original post, I did mine on Monday. No, I didn't have an appointment and there were no problems. It's on the 2nd floor of the building, but there are signs guiding you every step of the way. Really was a piece of cake. 

4 hours ago, TaoNow said:

As to why Immo/CW moved some services to MTT:  I asked a (seemingly) knowledgeable Immo officer at CW a few months ago, and he said that the plan is to move all of Immigration Division 1 to that complex of buildings in MTT.  So this is a work in progress.

I was at MTT about 10 days ago doing a 90 day report.  No appt required. I asked the officer processing my report if and when they were moving back to CW.   The answer was their move to MTT is "temporary" and they hope to be moving  back to CW "soon."  You can tell the immigration folks are not thrilled about being there.   

A person can tell they are not making any effort to setup permanently at MTT....it's pretty much a barebones/temporary setup. 

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1