visiting vietnam - what are the requirements?

At the moment only business people and Vietnamese people are allowed in and they need to take a covid19 test before boarding and upon arrival. Only flights from Tokyo, Seoul and Taipai currently allowed to fly in from overseas countries. 

• Thanks 1

Diplomats, highly skilled expert, and major investors are the only foreigners that can get in right now. Don't think they will open up to tourists any time soon, certainly not this year,baring a miracle on the vaccine front : so if you are a Trumpian, yes very soon it will all be back to normal. 

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

Diplomats, highly skilled expert, and major investors are the only foreigners that can get in right now. Don't think they will open up to tourists any time soon, certainly not this year,baring a miracle on the vaccine front : so if you are a Trumpian, yes very soon it will all be back to normal. 

Very much Trumpian when it comes going back to the old normal. Any time.

Only certains categories of visa are allowed to enter Vietnam. Not tourist. Basically, if you are not diplomat, you need a business visa and to apply for a work permit. Pretty similar than Thailand now.

For a business visa, only the category "confirmed expert" can be granted a visa.

You need to get approved by the people commity in Vietnam (Ministry of Foreign affairs) by providing documentations (mean that you are sponsored by a company, that you are qualified as expert...). You need an agent in Vietnam to prepare the file for you. If you are approved (mean you are on monthly list of people who can travel to Vietnam) it take at least 1 month, then after a week you recieve a document to present to the Vietnam Embassy where you are located and get your visa. Then you apply for the visa, pre-booked a flight ticket (there are no commercial flight from Thailand at the moment, only special flights 1 or 2 times a month) and book hotel from an approved list for quarantine (14 days), covid test 72 hours before departure.

I am on this process right now. Started the process mid august, I got the approval from the ministry last week, got the document for the Vietnam Embassy this week (Bangkok) and will get the visa next Monday. I am booked on the next flight (5th October) to HCMC.

So basically, if you don't need to go for business purpose, I will say forget about it for the moment. The process is long, the documentation required a lot of certifications/ legalizations from both your own embassy and the Vietnam Embassy to certified that you are an expert and need to go to Vietnam. As for the cost, I am not sure as for me it is fully paid directly by the company who is asking me to go to Vietnam.

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

best advice imo.

By the way, the only cost i have seen for my case is the flight ticket: 1 way Bangkok - HCMC with Vietjet is 550 USD 20kgs check in bags...

25 minutes ago, jphasia said:

By the way, the only cost i have seen for my case is the flight ticket: 1 way Bangkok - HCMC with Vietjet is 550 USD 20kgs check in bags...

I am sure their is much cheaper than that around .... check Air Asia, Lion air,