Lawn weeds and clover

PFMills

Our lawn has been neglected recently. Not only does it have quite a few weeds now but also a large patch of clover. So the guy has started pulling out the clover, see pic. Now I don't know if what he is doing is for the best or not. In the UK you could buy Clover Killer. Is there anything available in Thailand like that and also are there any selective weed killers available.

It does look like I may have to replace some turf where the clover is. The weeds can be pulled up after it has rained so not really such a big problem as the clover.

Any suggestions please.

Lawn.R.jpg.76ce1832a78c0128cac0c86be755d2b6.jpg

Here is a link to lawn weed killer on Lazada https://www.lazada.co.th/products/nutsedge-killer-in-lawn-i1510728361-s3993108072.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.19.2a951e40dLcpep&search=1

I have not used this product just thought I would look it up for you, product translation from Google translate below

Medicines to eliminate frustration in the lawn. Including broadleaf weeds And eliminate grass in rice fields, nutsedge killer in lawn

Almix is used to eliminate germinated weeds. Select specific destruction Broadleaf weeds and reeds Which pigs are in the basket So we can use it in the lawn well. 1.5 g packing size, usage rate 1.5-2 g / water 20 liters.

14 hours ago, sometime said:

Here is a link to lawn weed killer on Lazada https://www.lazada.co.th/products/nutsedge-killer-in-lawn-i1510728361-s3993108072.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.19.2a951e40dLcpep&search=1

I have not used this product just thought I would look it up for you, product translation from Google translate below

Medicines to eliminate frustration in the lawn. Including broadleaf weeds And eliminate grass in rice fields, nutsedge killer in lawn

Almix is used to eliminate germinated weeds. Select specific destruction Broadleaf weeds and reeds Which pigs are in the basket So we can use it in the lawn well. 1.5 g packing size, usage rate 1.5-2 g / water 20 liters.

I have ordered this from Lazada. One place it was Bht 25 per sachet, another Bht 125 for 12. Guess which one I went for.

A bit confusing when it says that it will eliminate broad leafed weeds from lawns, and also grass from rice fields. I shall do a 'patch test' before the whole lawn.

1 hour ago, bankruatsteve said:

Just pulling out the weeds by hand is probably the best.  Turf should come back on it's own.

Our best "lawn" was done like that, Madam and her friends just pulled out anything they didn't like the look of.

Meanwhile, we have a shaded area where I would be happy for anything remotely green to grow.

10 hours ago, stouricks said:

I have ordered this from Lazada. One place it was Bht 25 per sachet, another Bht 125 for 12. Guess which one I went for.

A bit confusing when it says that it will eliminate broad leafed weeds from lawns, and also grass from rice fields. I shall do a 'patch test' before the whole lawn.

https://www.corteva.in/products-and-solutions/crop-protection/almix.html

This product is new to me, but looking at the label and product description from Corteva (Dow - Dupont merger), Almix has pre-emergent and post-emergent properties and is designed specifically for rice. The pre-emergent aspect means that it inhibits seed germination, and I assume it is non-selective in that respect, therefore inhibiting grass and broadleaf weeds from developing from seed. The post-emergent properties appear to be selective to broad-leaf weed control. It's systemic, and an amino acid inhibitor like glyphosate/roundup. 

So don't use it anywhere where you are planting anything from seed. And note that it is labeled for rice and not landscapes. It may kill the broadleaf weeds in turf, but be cautious with other plantings.  The Corteva info states that it won't harm other plants unless sprayed directly on them, but beware of negative effects on trees and shrubs planted in or near the grass. I am working with a golf course right now that has trees declining on the perimeter of the fairways, and the damage appears to me to be herbicide poisoning (clumpy, stunted, curled, distorted, off-color foliage). Some broadleaf turf herbicides are known to be taken up by roots of trees and shrubs, especially from the herbicide 'dicamba'. 

On 9/23/2020 at 1:34 AM, GreasyFingers said:

Do some internet research with using vinegar. I am testing it at the moment on clover but still need more trials on other weeds and the affect on various grasses.

vinegar will be non-selective, thereby killing the grass too. 

12 minutes ago, drtreelove said:

vinegar will be non-selective, thereby killing the grass too. 

That is what I am trialing. Thought that would be the case so if the trials are any different with some grasses will let you know. Have 6 different types of grasses in the "lawn", some good, some bad.

13 hours ago, Crossy said:

Meanwhile, we have a shaded area where I would be happy for anything remotely green to grow.

As our mango tree grew, the overhang developed at least a 2m diameter area that didn't get sun.  Eventually that turned to dust.  My wife tried a ground cover but didn't like it and took it out.  Decided that radical pruning was in order.  Now, the tree looks better, the grass has come back, and it had a bumper crop of mangoes last season.  

Edit: haven't been able to mow for a while due to rain.  (not usually this shaggy).  ????

Mango tree.jpg

Edited by bankruatsteve
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

As our mango tree grew, the overhang developed at least a 2m diameter area that didn't get sun.  Eventually that turned to dust.  My wife tried a ground cover but didn't like it and took it out.  Decided that radical pruning was in order.  Now, the tree looks better, the grass has come back, and it had a bumper crop of mangoes last season.

How old and what variety is that tree? I am looking for a mango tree that will not grow too tall.

2 hours ago, stubuzz said:

How old and what variety is that tree? I am looking for a mango tree that will not grow too tall.

My wife calls it "mamuang falan".  My understanding is that is the preferred mango for eating.  Not too tall?  We bought this tree from a nursery about 10 years ago - it was then knee high.  A photo of it a year later shows it a foot or so taller.  It has grown 1-2 feet per year since then and I think it is still going.  The mango tree on the left is about 8 years old and different variety but I can't tell the difference.  Both are easily sold for 10 baht.

Mango tree 1 year.JPG

Mango trees.jpg

Edited by bankruatsteve

30 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

As you may know there are a couple hundred varieties of mango in Thailand.  A visit to your local nursery(s) should find one to your growth liking.  Cheers.  

Not to mention that along with the different heights the flavour and use are different, a somtam mango is different from a sticky rice mango etc.

like the banana, the “civilised world” knows very little about flavours, sizes, colours, and uses of tropical fruit.