SMART VISA - looking for details - is it good for me?

Hi,

I need a VISA that is longer term (~2 months), allows you to work (working remote) from Thailand, and has in/out privileges. It looks like the SMART VISA might be the answer.

New information posted Wednesday about changes to that program. I went to https://smart-visa.boi.go.th/smart/pages/about.html to see details... However, I am just not clear at all on what you will get with a SMART VISA.

Does anyone have a SMART VISA that can explain what you get and how hard the process was?

Critical comments - not interested. I know I am a newbie on this and I am sure you are smarter than me. No need to prove it. Helpful information respectfully communicated is appreciated

Thanks!

• Like 1

I believe I qualify for a "E" SMART Visa through my company. 

Does anyone have a SMART VISA that can explain what you get and how hard the process was?

1). What rights do you get with a SMART Visa?

2). How difficult is the process and getting one?

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, MisterBKK said:

1). What rights do you get with a SMART Visa?

It's written on the smart visa website: https://smart-visa.boi.go.th/smart/pages/smart_e.html

5 minutes ago, MisterBKK said:

2). How difficult is the process and getting one?

You say you qualify for the "E" Smart visa, at such a level the application process is probably nearly always done by the HR department of the company or by an external lawyer. You probably just have to provide passport copies to them.

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

It's written on the smart visa website: https://smart-visa.boi.go.th/smart/pages/smart_e.html

How did I miss that? Perfect.

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

You say you qualify for the "E" Smart visa, at such a level the application process is probably nearly always done by the HR department of the company or by an external lawyer. You probably just have to provide passport copies to them.

Yes, we have a group that does visas. I spoke with them and they do not know about the Thailand SMART visa. Also, I looked here and it looks a lot more difficult than providing passport copies.

I'm curious if anyone has one. Seems to me that no one (here) has actually applied for and received a SMART visa.

1 hour ago, MisterBKK said:

I'm curious if anyone has one. Seems to me that no one (here) has actually applied for and received a SMART visa.

Smart Visa, requirements lowered. Will it be worth giving it a shot? (see posts 4 & 5)
By ExpatDraco, July 25, 2019 in Thai visas, residency and work permits

So that's potentially one?

Another ThaiVisa poster claimed their 'friend' had one.

Other mentions of ThaiVisa posters who have applied, subsequently were rejected or gave up in disgust.

Good luck chasing your dream.

2 hours ago, RichCor said:

Smart Visa, requirements lowered. Will it be worth giving it a shot? (see posts 4 & 5)
By ExpatDraco, July 25, 2019 in Thai visas, residency and work permits

So that's potentially one?

Another ThaiVisa poster claimed their 'friend' had one.

Other mentions of ThaiVisa posters who have applied, subsequently were rejected or gave up in disgust.

Good luck chasing your dream.

There's was a further update last week. Cabinet approved in principle the changes, and they will announce the new rules soon. The wording seemed to imply that independent foreign experts who do not have a work contract in Thailand (perhaps digital nomads) may be able to apply for this now. If you can find the BP story, it's more clearly worded - but we are not allowed to post BP stories. However, here is the nations story, hope it helps;

https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30394652?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=internal_referral