Money stolen from my debit card in Bangkok

Hello there,

All my money on my Debit card was stolen in Bangkok. When I went to use the card at the ATM there was no money on it.  I lost about 350 US dollars.

Anyone knows about money being stolen from ATM debit cards in Thailand?

I am travelling alone and nobody use my ATM debit card.

Lucky I have some spare cash- to survive 3 days before I leave Thailand to go home.

Bad experience for me. Anger arises in me and when the anger subsided I felt really disgusted- that this should happened.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How do you know this and what action have you taken so far?  Give some details and you may get some relevant advice.

Hello there, All my money on my Debit card was stolen in Bangkok. When I went to use the card at the ATM there was no money on it.  I lost about 350 US dollars. Anyone knows about money bein

I don't have credit card or unable to get one issue to me. I thought Debit card is safe, apparently it is not, not at all. I guess my next trip to China I will use 3 debit cards- limited amount in eac

Call your bank, go online and check transaction history....etc etc.  Obviously your PIN has to be used to make most cash withdrawal transactions, or was it a vendor purchase ?

I usually get a multiple transaction "pending" on a vendor purchase, Eg:  Buy a 1000 baht of fuel, shows up twice on transactions as pending, both with different exchange rates, lowest gets posted, but both showed as a "temporary" debenture with regards to account balance, until finalized.   

Good luck

Edited by CanuckThai
  • Like 1

Overseas card or local card?

Chip & Pin ??

As scuba3scuba3 wrote - its possible your card was skimmed. You may be able to secure a refund from your bank by claiming fraud, especially if the bank is foreign (from your home country).

It's sometimes more difficult to claim money back for fraudulent loss with a Thai bank. My mother in-law was successful claiming money back from fraudulent use of her CitiBank card a number of years back. 

31 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

this can happen in any country, probably skimmed, firstly report your card stolen to your bank 

The card hasn't been stolen. The OP still has it.

Maybe your ATM card is in Bangkok, but a copy of it could be anywhere in the World. Ask the bank where withdrawals were made, make sure to be able to prove you weren't anywhere near there, and dispute it. Personally I'd never use a debit card for payment or withdrawals of cash abroad. If anything goes wrong, banks have no incentive to fix it in your favour. At least if it is a credit card and someone used it, you haven't paid the bill yet so there's incentive for them to get it investigated. But with debit card - money's already gone. All they get is a loss. Why would they do it?

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The card hasn't been stolen. The OP still has it.

Yes, I still have the card. Nothing I can do because when I talked to the bank people they speak bad English. I find it difficult to communicate. I rather go home and talk to my bank about it. Going home day after tomorrow so no long to wait.

• Confused 2
2 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Maybe your ATM card is in Bangkok, but a copy of it could be anywhere in the World. Ask the bank where withdrawals were made, make sure to be able to prove you weren't anywhere near there, and dispute it. Personally I'd never use a debit card for payment or withdrawals of cash abroad. If anything goes wrong, banks have no incentive to fix it in your favour. At least if it is a credit card and someone used it, you haven't paid the bill yet so there's incentive for them to get it investigated. But with debit card - money's already gone. All they get is a loss. Why would they do it?

I don't have credit card or unable to get one issue to me. I thought Debit card is safe, apparently it is not, not at all. I guess my next trip to China I will use 3 debit cards- limited amount in each and also carry substantial amount of cash on me (using money belt round my belly).

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

A Thai ATM card or a foreign card?

Did ATM process but fail to provide the cash?

Or are you saying card was not accepted?  Normally due to communication lines down and seems to be happening often this week.

A Malaysian ATM card not Thai. Few times the ATM provide cash when I withdraw using the card then today- the remaining money all gone.

Technically Debit cards offer the same protections as credit cards but in practice the banks make debit card claims more difficult.  If it was cash that was withdrawn from your account someone had to have the pin duplicate your card and then went to an ATM.  Those ATM's have cameras and you should be able to prove that you did not withdraw the money.  If they used your card online for a purchase, the merchant would have the address of the person who the merchandise was sent to. Again, if it was not you, you should be able to recover.  Far easier if the bank is a USA bank not a Thai bank