Money stolen from my debit card in Bangkok

Hello there,

All my money on my Debit card was stolen in Bangkok. When I went to use the card at the ATM there was no money on it.  I lost about 350 US dollars.

Anyone knows about money being stolen from ATM debit cards in Thailand?

I am travelling alone and nobody use my ATM debit card.

Lucky I have some spare cash- to survive 3 days before I leave Thailand to go home.

Bad experience for me. Anger arises in me and when the anger subsided I felt really disgusted- that this should happened.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Call your bank, go online and check transaction history....etc etc.  Obviously your PIN has to be used to make most cash withdrawal transactions, or was it a vendor purchase ?

I usually get a multiple transaction "pending" on a vendor purchase, Eg:  Buy a 1000 baht of fuel, shows up twice on transactions as pending, both with different exchange rates, lowest gets posted, but both showed as a "temporary" debenture with regards to account balance, until finalized.   

Good luck

Edited by CanuckThai
  • Like 1

Overseas card or local card?

Chip & Pin ??

As scuba3scuba3 wrote - its possible your card was skimmed. You may be able to secure a refund from your bank by claiming fraud, especially if the bank is foreign (from your home country).

It's sometimes more difficult to claim money back for fraudulent loss with a Thai bank. My mother in-law was successful claiming money back from fraudulent use of her CitiBank card a number of years back. 

Maybe your ATM card is in Bangkok, but a copy of it could be anywhere in the World. Ask the bank where withdrawals were made, make sure to be able to prove you weren't anywhere near there, and dispute it. Personally I'd never use a debit card for payment or withdrawals of cash abroad. If anything goes wrong, banks have no incentive to fix it in your favour. At least if it is a credit card and someone used it, you haven't paid the bill yet so there's incentive for them to get it investigated. But with debit card - money's already gone. All they get is a loss. Why would they do it?

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The card hasn't been stolen. The OP still has it.

Yes, I still have the card. Nothing I can do because when I talked to the bank people they speak bad English. I find it difficult to communicate. I rather go home and talk to my bank about it. Going home day after tomorrow so no long to wait.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Maybe your ATM card is in Bangkok, but a copy of it could be anywhere in the World. Ask the bank where withdrawals were made, make sure to be able to prove you weren't anywhere near there, and dispute it. Personally I'd never use a debit card for payment or withdrawals of cash abroad. If anything goes wrong, banks have no incentive to fix it in your favour. At least if it is a credit card and someone used it, you haven't paid the bill yet so there's incentive for them to get it investigated. But with debit card - money's already gone. All they get is a loss. Why would they do it?

I don't have credit card or unable to get one issue to me. I thought Debit card is safe, apparently it is not, not at all. I guess my next trip to China I will use 3 debit cards- limited amount in each and also carry substantial amount of cash on me (using money belt round my belly).

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

A Thai ATM card or a foreign card?

Did ATM process but fail to provide the cash?

Or are you saying card was not accepted?  Normally due to communication lines down and seems to be happening often this week.

A Malaysian ATM card not Thai. Few times the ATM provide cash when I withdraw using the card then today- the remaining money all gone.

Technically Debit cards offer the same protections as credit cards but in practice the banks make debit card claims more difficult.  If it was cash that was withdrawn from your account someone had to have the pin duplicate your card and then went to an ATM.  Those ATM's have cameras and you should be able to prove that you did not withdraw the money.  If they used your card online for a purchase, the merchant would have the address of the person who the merchandise was sent to. Again, if it was not you, you should be able to recover.  Far easier if the bank is a USA bank not a Thai bank 

2 minutes ago, poloshirt said:

A Malaysian ATM card not Thai. Few times the ATM provide cash when I withdraw using the card then today- the remaining money all gone.

Have you tried again today at another ATM?  Is your debit card a chip type card with a six digit PIN number (much safer).  What bank clearance system were you using?  If from Malaysia was the ATM you used marked to accept that system?  I take it you have not actually called your bank to check account balance and do not have online access to do so?  Or did you?

2 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Technically Debit cards offer the same protections as credit cards but in practice the banks make debit card claims more difficult.  If it was cash that was withdrawn from your account someone had to have the pin duplicate your card and then went to an ATM.  Those ATM's have cameras and you should be able to prove that you did not withdraw the money.  If they used your card online for a purchase, the merchant would have the address of the person who the merchandise was sent to. Again, if it was not you, you should be able to recover.  Far easier if the bank is a USA bank not a Thai bank 

I doubt my bank (Malaysian Local Bank)will refund or re-imburse what I lost. What bother me now is I am trying to figure out how I can travel with my money in China where I intend to go in couple of months, if the Covid problem is not in the way.

I guess I will ask my brother to send my money via Western Union . I wonder if there are many Western Union in big cities like Canton? I will have half the money kept with my brother to send to me when I e-mail him. Of course I still keep 2 debit cards with money on them only use them in emergency.

That is the safest way I supposed.

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Have you tried again today at another ATM?  Is your debit card a chip type card with a six digit PIN number (much safer).  What bank clearance system were you using?  If from Malaysia was the ATM you used marked to accept that system?  I take it you have not actually called your bank to check account balance and do not have online access to do so?  Or did you?

There is nothing much you can do you know once there is no money on the card. I will get to the bank once I get home- that's after tomorrow. So not that long to wait. Now I can only wonder if the bank can find out if someone has hack into my account.  Anyone knows?

I guess if the bank can find out if the account is hacked then they will believe what I said. Otherwise they may doubt and say no reimbursment on the loss.

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Overseas card or local card?

Chip & Pin ??

As scuba3scuba3 wrote - its possible your card was skimmed. You may be able to secure a refund from your bank by claiming fraud, especially if the bank is foreign (from your home country).

It's sometimes more difficult to claim money back for fraudulent loss with a Thai bank. My mother in-law was successful claiming money back from fraudulent use of her CitiBank card a number of years back. 

I find it difficult to speak English with Thai people even in banks or government office(immigration) so I rather wait to go home (very soon 1 more day)and see what my bank says.

I don't think I will ever come back to Thailand again but it's not because of this problem. It's because I find nothing in this country interest me and lots of things not in line with my thinking. I was in Japan where I find most of things are line with my thinking and I was happy there. If only Japan is not that expensive I would have gone there many times. (so far only two trips ).

I mean Thailand is good as it is- don't get me wrong. It's me. I don't fit in this society- if I go into details it would seem I am criticizing Thailand and that's no good. I will just leave, that's it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, poloshirt said:

I find it difficult to speak English with Thai people even in banks or government office(immigration) so I rather wait to go home (very soon 1 more day)and see what my bank says.

I don't think I will ever come back to Thailand again but it's not because of this problem. It's because I find nothing in this country interest me and lots of things not in line with my thinking. I was in Japan where I find most of things are line with my thinking and I was happy there. If only Japan is not that expensive I would have gone there many times. (so far only two trips ).

I mean Thailand is good as it is- don't get me wrong. It's me. I don't fit in this society- if I go into details it would seem I am criticizing Thailand and that's no good. I will just leave, that's it.

I am still in good humor after loosing some money. My friend said, "given half the chance they will steal your grandmother's wheel chair you know".

A friend of mine got his luggage stolen at the railway station. He wrote, "some tealeaves stole my bag at the station". It took me a while to figure that out. He meant "some thieves stole my bag at the station". He has problem with spelling, learning difficulties too.

Good day.

16 hours ago, poloshirt said:

Not enough information to understand and provide feedback. Malaysian Bank ATM card used in Thailand, maybe the money is in your account but you cannot access, check with Bank on account balance. Maybe the card was compromised in Malaysia and this has little or nothing to do with Thailand. Maybe, maybe, maybe

• Like 2

17 hours ago, poloshirt said:

Yes, I still have the card. Nothing I can do because when I talked to the bank people they speak bad English. I find it difficult to communicate. I rather go home and talk to my bank about it. Going home day after tomorrow so no long to wait.

All US banks have a toll free international number to call. What prevents you from calling them right now? ....... oops, just read further and see it's a Malaysian Bank. Good luck.

Edited by paulbrow
correction

When you use any ATM in thailand, grab the casing around the card reader slot and give it a good tug and try to jimmy it off. Sometimes, skimmers install a fake casing that conceals the card skimming device on the outside of the atm cars reader that fits snuggly over the slot. You can usually twist or pull them off with minimal force. always check. 

Talk to your Thai gf. She might know. ????

• Haha 1

Never use your card in small businesses in Thailand. You must always cover the number panel when putting your pin. If someone get access to your card detail even without pin they can misuse it for buying online. Your bank should be having some security features. My cards were misused in Europe and I inform the bank and complain to police. They found out they had transferred money from my card to a online gambling company then transfer that money to their account. Of course all the personal details for their home, bank etc was false as they used forged ID card. Since it wasn't my fault the entire money was refunded to me. 

Edited by mrfaroukh

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

His details have been stolen so he needs to tell the bank so they can block the card otherwise they won't refund any fraud 

Many phone apps now allow you to suspend/block your card immediately.

Sorry DF, I didn't see your earlier post of advice.

Edited by stouricks

18 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Such an inaccurate and generalised statement. Of course they do not...under almost every circumstance.

The most obvious being that if there is fraud on a credit card, you haven't lost any actual money. Debit card, of course, means that your money is gone unless the bank gives it back to you.

So that is one BIG protection that you don't have with a debit card. There are more...

I am still in good humor after loosing some money. My friend said, "given half the chance they will steal your grandmother's wheel chair you know".

A friend of mine got his luggage stolen at the railway station. He wrote, "some tealeaves stole my bag at the station". It took me a while to figure that out. He meant "some thieves stole my bag at the station". He has problem with spelling, learning difficulties too.

Good day.

Troll post? "Tea leaf" is a colloquialism heard on the streets of London. Nothing to do with spelling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1