Money stolen from my debit card in Bangkok

1 hour ago, DFPhuket said:

You will increase your chances of getting your money back if you contact the bank that issued your card immediately. Some banks allow you to report problems through their mobile apps. Don't wait another day. 

Too late now, it's been 2 weeks. I am going home 2moro so will see the bank in couple of days from know. Thanks for your reply.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, poloshirt said:

Too late now, it's been 2 weeks. I am going home 2moro so will see the bank in couple of days from know. Thanks for your reply.

You sure did not write your OP as if it had been two weeks ????

Lucky I have some spare cash- to survive 3 days before I leave Thailand to go home.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

My memory take leave without telling me.

I am sure i am having the symptoms of Alzheimer.  Short term memory very bad now.

Have a nice day (or evening where you live on this globe)

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

The Op has slowly come across as a disaster waiting to happen.

He won’t call the bank to cancel his card because 'he struggles to understand them’.... Thats just outride stupid. 

Now we find out the loss occurred over two weeks ago. 

My Bet: Op got drunk / high and spent the money. It seems he hasn’t the smarts or decline not to do this. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had my card skimmed, who ever it was just stood at the same ATM in Bangkok removing cash till it wouldn’t give them anymore. I am sure the card was skimmed in Patong but it could have been anywhere. I was on the way to the U.K., when I landed at Newcastle there was a message to contact the bank. 
For some reason they managed withdraw £1500 even though my daily limit was £500, the debit card was a Visa Card so I was covered for my losses by visa. I asked the bank if Visa would be following up and investigate, nope not worth it for such a small amount.

I find this hard to believe unless they have skimmed your card,

They still cannot take out cash as no pin unless again, someone had a look or an attachment on the ATM , Travelling or staying with someone ? Your Malaysian bank will know exactly where it has gone

I have two debit cards. I carry them in a Faraday cage to prevent skimming. I only ever use an ATM outside a bank, and only then for an emergency.

Other posters are right, any fraud should be reported immediately to the bank that issued the card. Most financial institutions have hotlines for that purpose.

I have just had three fraudulent transactions on my debit card. I never use the the card or internet banking. It's just an emergency account if needed. So where have they got my details from. I have two tier verification set up. Apparently it's been used by someone for online gaming. It's taken the bank  six weeks to reply to me. Not holding much hope in this corrupt la la  land

On 9/21/2020 at 1:05 PM, richard_smith237 said:

It's sometimes more difficult to claim money back for fraudulent loss with a Thai bank

Not true. I tried getting cash in Bali with a Thai atm. Nothing happened the first time, and every time after that I got a message saying I don't have enough funds. Few days later arrived back and called the bank. Couple of weeks after that I got back the money in my account

16 hours ago, The Theory said:
On 9/21/2020 at 4:35 PM, poloshirt said:

A Malaysian ATM card not Thai. Few times the ATM provide cash when I withdraw using the card then today- the remaining money all gone.

It is possible that it happened in your own country, not here. 

AFAIK a Thai ATM cannot display the balance remaining on any foreign card, either debit or credit. If the OP's repeated statement that "...the remaining money all gone..." is based simply on being unable to get cash from a Thai ATM, then it is hard to believe.

12 minutes ago, Farma said:

AFAIK a Thai ATM cannot display the balance remaining on any foreign card,

I beg to differ. Most ATM's show the remaining balance converted into Thai Baht after withdrawals from my Oz cards.

Hence the AFAIK which is based on none of my US or UK issued cards ever showing the remaining balance when used on a Thai ATM. Thanks for setting me right on that assumption.

I recall the US bank stopping this ages ago, even on domestic US withdrawals since someone being forced to pull money under duress could be further victimized if their assailant could also see there was a balance still available. With the advent of online banking and their apps on smartphones, being advised of the balance at an ATM would be as redundant as asking for a receipt IMHO. Maybe there's not too many ATM bandits down your way.

Edited by NanLaew