Can you eat these fungi safely?

finewine

I you don't know what you're doing...do not eat any mushroom. Some very toxic ones look very similar to edible varieties. The consequences could destroy your liver in 12 hours....i mean destroy. Get an expert or buy them commercially prepared.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

There's a Thai app for your smartphone to identify edible mushrooms.

Works pretty well.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.thaimushroom.classify2

Screenshot_20200922_083951_net.thaimushroom.classify2.jpg

Typed in the url you provided, showed me the "Thai Mushrooms Classify" app along with a message saying it wasn't available in my country. I'm in Thailand and using an AIS sim card!

6 hours ago, nahkit said:
8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

There's a Thai app for your smartphone to identify edible mushrooms.

Works pretty well.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.thaimushroom.classify2

Typed in the url you provided, showed me the "Thai Mushrooms Classify" app along with a message saying it wasn't available in my country. I'm in Thailand and using an AIS sim card!

Please Note: The "not available in my country" is in regards to the 'country' your phone's google user account is registered (and hence the google play store country you're account is set to use), and not the current country or provider sim card being used by your device.

Even so, if you didn't get that message you probably would have gotten the one I got (on my Xiaomi Mi A2-lite AndroidOne) :  X This app is incompatible with your device

image.png.60635af66798b8fd35dd85792bcdf324.png

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

They tell also how many have use it second time!?

I've used it about 20 times on mushrooms from the market, tame and wild, all edible as sold.

And another 20-30 times out hiking in the jungle, mixture of edible and poisonous.

It got one wrong, marked poisonous, when it was edible (the misses ate it to demonstrate and survived).

I'd just use it to select which mushrooms to bring home for the misses to identify and eat.

Edited by BritManToo

I would not advise ever eating mushrooms you pick in the wild.

There are poisonous varieties that look almost identical to non poisonous ones.

When I worked in the refugee camps on the Thai-Cambodian border we had many mass admissions (whole extended families) from mushroom poisoning because apparently the mushrooms people were finding in the area (this was in Sakeo and Surin provinces) looked just like non-poisonous varieties they knew in Cambodia.

They weren't, and scores of these people died as a result.  There seemed to be 2 types of toxin that were getting ingested in mushrooms, one just caused a severe gastrointestinal illness and we could usually save them, the other was a neurotoxin and we could do nothing. I have vivid memories of manually ambuing people (breathing for them with a hand held resuscitator) in respiratory arrest -- young people -- all night long and eventually having to stop.

• Like 1