Expired Passport Question

My wife is Thai and has a green card here in US. Our son was born here in the US and a US citizen. He has a US passport but it is expired. Getting it renewed would take probably 6+ months because of office closures. So my wife was able to get him a Thai Passport through the embassy in Los Angeles, but did not mention his US Passport is expired. The requirements to get this were very minimal and I wonder if this is a legal document. She wants to fly back to Thailand on a repatriation flight. The requirements on these flights are quite strict (prepurchase airfare, prepurchase quarentine hotel, testing, insurance et.) and the timeline to do these are often very tight. 

She plans on using her This passport using her maiden name and for my son, use only the newly issued Thai passport (since US passport is expired). I keep telling her it will not work yet she insists that it will. So my question is will wife and son be able to leave the US with these documents. I don't want to have to pay all these airfare and expenses just to find out they cannot fly and then I'd get no refund because we did not have everything in order.

Thanks in advance

Both should have no problem departing USA and entering Thailand on Thai Passports. Your son is Thai due to his mother being Thai so the passport is good. The only check departing USA will be the airline and since they have Thai passports no via is required and they will be allowed to board the flight. Entering Thailand will be easy as Thai citizens (expect quarantine in Thailand.) Your wife can renew the boy's USA passport in Bangkok for an easy reentry to USA. Be sure to take the expired passport for renewal.

Could be wrong but I think your information about getting a new US passport for your son is not correct.  A friend just renewed his here in the US and it took 20 some days.  If you have time, might be wise to get your son a new US passport too (any future rules regarding re-entry into the US likely wouldn't apply if he came in on his US passport).

On 9/21/2020 at 3:00 PM, confused888 said:

My wife is Thai and has a green card here in US. Our son was born here in the US and a US citizen. He has a US passport but it is expired. Getting it renewed would take probably 6+ months because of office closures.

Confused888

As I read it, the expedited passports in the USA are not being offered right now.  It typically takes less than 4 weeks to do it conventionally through the mail.  Your wife and son should have no problem getting into Thailand since they are both Thai citizens and the fact that your son is a U.S. citizen and wife a green card no bearing on on that.   If you have the 4 weeks I would do by mail in the USA.  Otherwise you could either do at the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok or if your wife and son were traveling to Thailand for some period of time, you could do by mail in the USA and use DHL to deliver it to them in Thailand once it arrived. 

5 hours ago, FlyingThai said:

The general rule for most if not all countries is that you HAVE to enter on your passport of local nationality (if any). You can leave the country on whatever passport you wish.

It's certainly not the case that all countries require citizens who hold nationality of the country they are seeking admission cannot use a passport of another country that they hold duel nationality of, they can seek admission using any passport they legally hold, their leave to enter conditions will depend on the passport they're using.

You must however leave a country on the same passport you entered, I'm not aware of any country that doesn't apply this rule.

On 9/21/2020 at 4:01 PM, asiaexpat said:

Both should have no problem departing USA and entering Thailand on Thai Passports. Your son is Thai due to his mother being Thai so the passport is good. The only check departing USA will be the airline and since they have Thai passports no via is required and they will be allowed to board the flight. Entering Thailand will be easy as Thai citizens (expect quarantine in Thailand.) Your wife can renew the boy's USA passport in Bangkok for an easy reentry to USA. Be sure to take the expired passport for renewal.

yes indeed, no probs at all and completely legal 

On 9/23/2020 at 8:58 AM, theoldgit said:

It's certainly not the case that all countries require citizens who hold nationality of the country they are seeking admission cannot use a passport of another country that they hold duel nationality of, they can seek admission using any passport they legally hold, their leave to enter conditions will depend on the passport they're using.

You must however leave a country on the same passport you entered, I'm not aware of any country that doesn't apply this rule.

I f a Thai national has dual nationality she or he can fly in to any Shenghen country on the EU Passport as they will not be stamped or don't need Visa. Same is valid for returning to Th with Th passport.... Wife does it that way.....

On 9/23/2020 at 8:58 AM, theoldgit said:

Not correct, see my post below.....

1 hour ago, jomtienisgood said:

I f a Thai national has dual nationality she or he can fly in to any Shenghen country on the EU Passport as they will not be stamped or don't need Visa. Same is valid for returning to Th with Th passport.... Wife does it that way.....

I suspect that your wife clears Thai immigration, so leaves Thailand, using her Thai passport, but shows her EU passport at the check in counter to show that she doesn't need a visa to enter the EU.

She then enters the EU using her EU passport.

On her return trip she would show her Thai Passport at check in to show that she doesn't need a return ticket to Thailand, but use her EU passport to clear Immigration.

On entering Thailand she no doubt enters on her Thai passport which allows her unrestricted access with no time limit.

The fact remains that she enters and leaves Thailand on her Thai passort, and enters and leaves the EU on her EU passport 

The current delay in renewing adult US passports is about 6 weeks. https://www.passportwaitingtime.com/ 

You cannot renew your child's passport by mail and because of the Covid shutdown and backlog of unprocessed renewals, in person passport processing is currently limited to "life and death" processing only.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/passport-covid-19.html

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/under-16.html

On 9/22/2020 at 4:10 AM, Thomas J said:

Confused888

As I read it, the expedited passports in the USA are not being offered right now.  It typically takes less than 4 weeks to do it conventionally through the mail.  Your wife and son should have no problem getting into Thailand since they are both Thai citizens and the fact that your son is a U.S. citizen and wife a green card no bearing on on that.   If you have the 4 weeks I would do by mail in the USA.  Otherwise you could either do at the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok or if your wife and son were traveling to Thailand for some period of time, you could do by mail in the USA and use DHL to deliver it to them in Thailand once it arrived. 

Wrong. See links above. Children have to apply in person. Once the Embassy opens for normal activity, they will be able to renew in Thailand.

On 9/21/2020 at 8:40 PM, CMBob said:

Could be wrong but I think your information about getting a new US passport for your son is not correct.  A friend just renewed his here in the US and it took 20 some days.  If you have time, might be wise to get your son a new US passport too (any future rules regarding re-entry into the US likely wouldn't apply if he came in on his US passport).

Impossible. They either got an emergency passport issued within 3 days or they waited at least 7 weeks. See links above

On 9/21/2020 at 10:17 PM, edwardflory said:

I got my PP ( American ) thru the POST OFFICE,  received it in 12 days.  Renewal probably will be almost as fast...I paid extra for registered mail to the passport center.

It's a whole new Covid kind of world. See links above.

20 hours ago, theoldgit said:

I suspect that your wife clears Thai immigration, so leaves Thailand, using her Thai passport, but shows her EU passport at the check in counter to show that she doesn't need a visa to enter the EU.

She then enters the EU using her EU passport.

On her return trip she would show her Thai Passport at check in to show that she doesn't need a return ticket to Thailand, but use her EU passport to clear Immigration.

On entering Thailand she no doubt enters on her Thai passport which allows her unrestricted access with no time limit.

The fact remains that she enters and leaves Thailand on her Thai passort, and enters and leaves the EU on her EU passport 

Absolutely correct, and what is wrong with that?

Archived