Dual Thai/UK passport holder entered on UK passport instead of Thai

Hi, my wife and kid went to Thailand in march and were expecting to stay there only 3 weeks, but because of the pandemic they ended up staying there as the situation is much better there (our kid is autistic so he has more space there). They entered using their UK passport instead of the Thai ones (they both have UK/Thai passports). Although until now there was a grace for foreigners to stay in Thailand, this is coming to an end and immigration office are telling her to maybe do a visa run... she is a Thai national. My question is a) is there a way to correct this..what can we do b) will she get an overstay fine when she leaves even though she is Thai? the immigration bureau is not very helpful so we don't know what to do. Thank you

As I see it, they have Thai nationality, and can therefore not be on overstay. Only overstay in the passport. However, they might be able to go to an immigration office and show both passports and get it sorted out.

Edited by Matzzon

3 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

As I see it, they have Thai nationality, and can therefore not be on overstay. Only overstay in the passport. However, they might be able to go to an immigration office and show both passports and get it sorted out.

thank you for your reply. That's what we were hoping but the immigration office is not being very helpful so far

3 minutes ago, steve187 said:

at the moment they could be covered by amnesty depending on arrival date,

no problem will have to get an extension as a Thai citizen, normal 1,900 bht

thanks ; the amnesty ends this week. What is the name of the extention you mention / do you get that from immigration office?

24 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Not correct.

as a Thai National they can get a 1 year extension from immigration.

But they have to follow the rules of entry. They can be on overstay However they can not be blacklisted 

39 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Not correct.

as a Thai National they can get a 1 year extension from immigration.

But they have to follow the rules of entry. They can be on overstay However they can not be blacklisted 

Just another way of saying what I wrote. They can go to immigration and get it sorted out.