Anyone got a letter from the Australian embassy?

I just contacted them about getting a letter for an extension of stay as my non-b is expiring in almost a week. They sent back a generic response of getting evidence of applying for a long stay visa.

The embassy seems very cold in regards to trying to help its citizens..

Any idea what evidence they want? It seems very generic to me.

Just now, Thomastm said:

The embassy seems very cold in regards to trying to help its citizens..

I have been waiting to read reports from Oz folk. Last time around for letter they did stuff all. This time we had big cheesy video from Oz ambassador to Thai, about how Au would supply letters of support etc.

Why can USA help it's citizens and provide letter that has been satisfying Thai IMM for extensions and being issued so quickly via email. 

I would never expect help from Au gov.

Pathetic mob.

• Like 2

Their stance was made clear by the ambassador in one of his latest videos, they are not supporting the rhetoric that it has been impossible to return to Australia since March. However he makes sure to never go into too much detail so as to avoid having to deal with the exceptions. He also walked back a statement by another minister, made some time ago, that it may be a better idea to stay wherever you are for the moment if possible.

In two of his videos he also takes a jab at Immigration for not being able to make these decisions on their own and that letters should not be necessary. (not our job etc)

He's not a bad guy but he always be 'ambassadoring' ????

• Haha 1

I emailed the Embassy for a letter and received one the next day.

I guess they want people to explain what they're trying to do to alleviate their situation rather than

just asking for a letter.

This is from their website:  The Australian Embassy will consider requests for a visa support letter for those on short-term visas seeking an extension due to postponed flights OR transferring to a long term visa only.

23 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

Their stance was made clear by the ambassador in one of his latest videos, they are not supporting the rhetoric that it has been impossible to return to Australia since March. However he makes sure to never go into too much detail so as to avoid having to deal with the exceptions. He also walked back a statement by another minister, made some time ago, that it may be a better idea to stay wherever you are for the moment if possible.

In two of his videos he also takes a jab at Immigration for not being able to make these decisions on their own and that letters should not be necessary. (not our job etc)

He's not a bad guy but he always be 'ambassadoring' ????

People are in danger of going to jail because of his policies. Is that the sign of a "caring, nice guy?. You just need to read here to see USA is giving out letters no strings attached.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

I'm not defending their stance but he would be getting his orders from DFAT back in Oz.

For the record I agree, the letters should be non-conditional considering the no limit offer made by Immigration.

I find it hard to believe that DFAT has input in this. I know in larger decisions they might but how could they interfere in such a small local matter of how to interpret a Thai Immigration edict. It may be true but I don't believe. I think this is him crossing his "I's and dotting his "t's. He is helping corruption by pushing people to illegal agents and not doing his duty by helping to  put his constituents in jail without a care. It is totally shameful and immoral  behaviour. We have all been here for a while. It is obvious Thai Immigration don't care and just want their 1900 baht for each extension. Some offices are taking the money without even bothering about the letter. I have a friend who is warm and fuzzy and like a little teddy bear- he would kill you if you crossed him. 

Edited by Wongkitlo
Edit

I received my letter within two days. Sent them copies of cancelled flights since March and the letter arrived shortly after. Perhaps it's because I'm on the Tourist visa amnesty. 

It is not the embassies fault regarding caps. That's bloody Scomo and his mates. Good news is that caps are being increased. Which should help...I hope.

Contrary to other posts I have found the Australian Embassy a great help. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

I find it hard to believe that DFAT has input in this. I know in larger decisions they might but how could they interfere in such a small local matter of how to interpret a Thai Immigration edict. It may be true but I don't believe. I think this is him crossing his "I's and dotting his "t's. He is helping corruption by pushing people to illegal agents and not doing his duty by helping to  put his constituents in jail without a care. It is totally shameful and immoral  behaviour. We have all been here for a while. It is obvious Thai Immigration don't care and just want their 1900 baht for each extension. Some offices are taking the money without even bothering about the letter. I have a friend who is warm and fuzzy and like a little teddy bear- he would kill you if you crossed him. 

Corrupt agents, not illegal ones. But you're right - he's indirectly supporting corruption. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

People are in danger of going to jail because of his policies. Is that the sign of a "caring, nice guy?. You just need to read here to see USA is giving out letters no strings attached.

People in danger of going to jail? How? Why? Are you saying that between March and September they couldn't go back to Australia? I find that hard to believe. Or that in 6 months they couldn't find a legal way to stay here long term? If that's so - that means they can't qualify for any type of long term permit and they'd have to leave anyway. So if anyone is in danger of going to jail it's because of their own inaction. And just to clarify - in not an employee of the Australian embassy

• Like 1

I have been attempting to get an answer about the evidence they require for "transferring to a long term visa" for two days.

Only getting the automated response email.

I have not been able to find any details about the "transferring to a long term visa" evidence on the site, purposefully vague.

Edited by fondue zoo

11 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

People in danger of going to jail? How? Why? Are you saying that between March and September they couldn't go back to Australia? I find that hard to believe. Or that in 6 months they couldn't find a legal way to stay here long term? If that's so - that means they can't qualify for any type of long term permit and they'd have to leave anyway. So if anyone is in danger of going to jail it's because of their own inaction. And just to clarify - in not an employee of the Australian embassy

Are you completely unaware of world affairs? If you do an easy Google search you can find the answers to your questions. Probably too hard for you so can tell you. Australia has limited arrivals for many months. They estimate 25000 are waiting overseas trying to get back. Most airlines have stopped selling tickets. Why do you post If you have no idea what you are talking about? If you can't get a visa extension you will end up in the Immigration Detention Centre. Is that too hard for you to grasp?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Thomastm said:

However, it is quite disheartening to know that my embassy can't even provide a letter in the likely hood that my paperwork falls through or i cannot find a job straightaway..

Your kind with your word "disheartening".

My Aussie mates would use the term "bloody disgrace"

Edited by DrJack54
  • Haha 2

On 9/22/2020 at 10:21 AM, Will27 said:

I emailed the Embassy for a letter and received one the next day.

I guess they want people to explain what they're trying to do to alleviate their situation rather than

just asking for a letter.

This is from their website:  The Australian Embassy will consider requests for a visa support letter for those on short-term visas seeking an extension due to postponed flights OR transferring to a long term visa only.

US just gives a letter. Few questions. Immigration just wants the 1900 baht

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 10:23 AM, Wongkitlo said:

If you're afraid of going to jail, then your option is to go back home. If the Australian embassy issues the letter on case to case basis, come up with a good explanation. Just saying "I don't want to go back home", might not work. 

11 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

If you're afraid of going to jail, then your option is to go back home. If the Australian embassy issues the letter on case to case basis, come up with a good explanation. Just saying "I don't want to go back home", might not work. 

It is virtually impossible to fly to Australia at the moment. 

• Like 2

For the record they did eventually respond with the same answer.

They don't appreciate being asked why the Americans have it so easy, especially when there may be a need for some to get a second letter next month.

They reiterated that it should not be necessary for the letters in the first place as the extensions are an internal matter for Thailand.

There was an early post by someone that mentioned that even the wording of the letter is snarky, hilarious. 

9 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

For the record they did eventually respond with the same answer.

They don't appreciate being asked why the Americans have it so easy, especially when there may be a need for some to get a second letter next month.

They reiterated that it should not be necessary for the letters in the first place as the extensions are an internal matter for Thailand.

There was an early post by someone that mentioned that even the wording of the letter is snarky, hilarious. 

Is an interesting question about whether it Is an internal matter or not. It is an Australian decision to introduce the caps and make it hard for citizens to return. Could Thailand say Aus has created the situation so they should provide letters?Thailand has done a lot to repatriate citizens back to Thailand. Australia has just jumped on flights organized by Thailand.