China air force video appears to show simulated attack on U.S. base on Guam

snoop1130

China air force video appears to show simulated attack on U.S. base on Guam

2020-09-21T061512Z_2_LYNXNPEG8K08N_RTROPTP_4_NORTHKOREA-MISSILES-USA-GUAM.JPG

A view of the entrance of U.S. military Andersen Air Force base on the island of Guam, a U.S. Pacific Territory, August 11, 2017. REUTERS/Erik De Castro/Files

BEIJING (Reuters) - China's air force has released a video showing nuclear-capable H-6 bombers carrying out a simulated attack on what appears to be Andersen Air Force Base on the U.S. Pacific island of Guam, as regional tensions rise.

The video, released on Saturday on the People's Liberation Army Air Force Weibo account, came as China carried out a second day of drills near Chinese-claimed Taiwan, to express anger at the visit of a senior U.S. State Department official to Taipei.

Guam is home to major U.S. military facilities, including the air base, which would be key to responding to any conflict in the Asia-Pacific region.

The Chinese air force's two minute and 15 second video, set to solemn, dramatic music like a trailer for a Hollywood movie, shows H-6 bombers taking off from a desert base. The video is called "The god of war H-6K goes on the attack!"

Halfway through, a pilot presses a button and looses off a missile at an unidentified seaside runway.

The missile homes in on the runway, a satellite image of which is shown that looks exactly like the layout of Andersen.

The music suddenly stops as images of the ground shaking appear, following by aerial views of an explosion.

"We are the defenders of the motherland's aerial security; we have the confidence and ability to always defend the security of the motherland's skies," the air force wrote in a brief description for the video.

Neither China's defence ministry nor U.S. Indo-Pacific Command immediately responded to requests for comment on the video.

Collin Koh, a research fellow at Singapore's Institute of Defence and Strategic Studies, said the video was aimed at highlighting China's growing prowess in long-range power projection.

"The video is meant to warn the Americans that even supposedly safe, rearward positions such as Guam may come under threat when conflicts over regional flashpoints, be it Taiwan or South China Sea, erupt," he said.

The H-6 has been involved in multiple Chinese flights around and near Taiwan, according to Taiwan's air force, including those last week.

The H-6K is the latest model of the bomber, which is based on the 1950s vintage Soviet Tu-16.

On Monday, China's Eastern Theatre Command, which would be in charge of an attack on Taiwan, released a propaganda video of its own, called "what if war broke out today?", showing soldiers running in wooded hills and ballistic missiles launching.

"Motherland, I swear I will fight for you until my death!" large golden Chinese characters read at the end of the montage as explosions go off in the background.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-09-21

• Haha 1

Chinese Propaganda Video Rips Off Hollywood Movies to Fake Bombing of U.S. Base

The Chinese military has published a new propaganda video on the social media platform Weibo that appears to show Chinese bombers attacking a U.S. military base in Guam. Te video is an unexceptional piece of digital saber-rattling between China and the U.S., but the new video might seem oddly familiar to Americans. That’s because the Chinese video includes clips from at least three Hollywood movies: The Rock from 1996, The Hurt Locker from 2008, and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen from 2009.

Source: https://gizmodo.com/chinese-propaganda-video-rips-off-hollywood-movies-to-f-1845125704

Edited by asiacurious
  • Haha 1

Herein lays the problem.  The people of China predominantly don't want the CCP.  However, they are controlled through threats to their families.  I believe they would rise up if they could, but how?  The one thing they would accept would be governance by Taiwan but not by the west.  An attack on the CCP lead by Taiwan and her (allies) would satisfy their sense of patriatism because the Taiwanese are, after all, still Chinese.  Anyway........................................

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

Looks like they prepare for a war .

The US is well aware of that and prepared as well .

What is all that good for ?

The chinese want territorial expansion and want to be ' great again ' as well , I presume ...

The US wants to be ' great again ' anyway ...

Human nature ...

China has requested all business make sure the communist group at each company is fully in place and strong.  And they are going off the deep end.  What was the plan?  The owm the World?  I wonder why US wants to cut off wechat?   If you were a power hungry country this  covid  would be a good distraction.   

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Tad naive on your part. The CCP leadership has been successful in guiding China to prosper economically, lifting hundreds of millions out of poverty, creating a substantial and comfortable middle class with expanded personal (if not political) freedom. China leadership has managed to ensure a relatively long period of political stability with orderly leadership transitions. In fact the Chinese people see democracy not fairing too well and have flaws in poor leadership choices and transition filled with anxieties and often turbulent. 

Indeed. Rather hard to control and direct a population of over 1 billion whilst thoroughly modernizing the country, vastly improving education, living standards, etc etc.

I always compare China to India. Both over a billion populations. Both independent after WW11. One Communist, one self proclaimed "the world's biggest democracy". 

Which has faired better, progressed better and uplifted the living standards of the bulk or the population best?

Having lived and worked in both, I know my answer! The advances in social development in China since I first visited in 1990 are astounding. India, not so. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

India once had a per capita income higher than China. Astounding as to the policies of the Chinese governments that raise the income level and living standard to what it is now. India main handicap remained in corruption and government mismanagement as well as a lack of policy continuity and commitment due to frequent changes of government.

I am a frequent visitor to China since 1980s and whenever I go I am still amazed at the speed of their modernization and the raising well being and standard of living. 

Then you know they value education very much.  Children don't do much other than study for the big test to see what school or trades they will qualify for.  You know that they  have the goal to take over the World.  https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/22/business/china-private-sector-intl-hnk/index.html

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Tad naive on your part. The CCP leadership has been successful in guiding China to prosper economically, lifting hundreds of millions out of poverty, creating a substantial and comfortable middle class with expanded personal (if not political) freedom. China leadership has managed to ensure a relatively long period of political stability with orderly leadership transitions. In fact the Chinese people see democracy not fairing too well and have flaws in poor leadership choices and transition filled with anxieties and often turbulent. 

If a new dynasty is what they want then that is what they will get.  A king for life.  Long live the king.

Just now, car720 said:

In fact the Chinese people see democracy not fairing too well and have flaws in poor leadership choices and transition filled with anxieties and often turbulent. 

So that is why so many of them want their children to attend foreign universities and if possible never return.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, car720 said:

So that is why so many of them want their children to attend foreign universities and if possible never return.

Off topic so will be brief. Those who studied abroad looking for work opportunities and career mobility. However over the years and as China grow, there are more foreign based graduates returning home. See article. Also there is a growing contingent of foreign studies in China who will stay and work because of abundance of opportunities.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ljkelly/2018/01/25/how-china-is-winning-back-more-graduates-from-foreign-universities-than-ever-before/#c9446cc5c1e0

• Like 1

8 hours ago, car720 said:

Herein lays the problem.  The people of China predominantly don't want the CCP.  However, they are controlled through threats to their families.  I believe they would rise up if they could, but how?  The one thing they would accept would be governance by Taiwan but not by the west.  An attack on the CCP lead by Taiwan and her (allies) would satisfy their sense of patriatism because the Taiwanese are, after all, still Chinese.  Anyway........................................

I have never seen any indication of this. Most people seem pretty happy with how things are going.

Taiwan invade PRC? Really? How?

• Like 2